[Darkroom] Color Printing

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:15:54 PDT 2009

I started making an agenda of pending items and I started thinking
about color printing again.  Audrey and I have briefly discussed this,
but I wanted to dump something on the list so that we have a thread in
the archive.  This isn't something we can do anything about yet, but I
wanted to bookmark it, conceptually.

I think it's generally understood that when we get the darkroom dark
and open up shop for the first time, it will be doing BW development
and printing.  I think it's also understood that color development is
never happening.  However, I think we all want color printing someday.

2 approaches:

A machine.  Those of you who have done color printing at Rayko have
seen this large, sexy marvel.  I want one.  You carry exposed paper to
it, in total darkness, and four minutes later it spits out a dry, flat
print.  Is this even feasible to have in our space?  We would need a
hole in a wall somewhere for the fancy kind, but I presume there are
smaller ones?  I suspect that our little darkroom won't accommodate
this either way.  This is way out in the future for us, budget-wise,
anyway.  But a girl can dream.  And the awesome thing about
noisebridge is that people are constantly wanting to donate things to

Baths.  This is a little more of a hassle than BW, but doable.  See
description here: http://photo.net/learn/darkroom/color-darkroom

One thing we're going to run into is that BW and color can't really be
done in the same room at the same time.  This is a concern to sort out
when we actually have an active darkroom, but I put both options
forward now so that we can start fantasizing, running subconscious
problem solving routines, and just in case we have any good donation