[Fab] Fantastic Fab-u-list: Inkscape Classes, were to begin?

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:05:17 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com> wrote:
> Tools beget tools, and tools need tools to be begotten.
> Noisebridge, Techshop, and Boxshop all have Subtractive Fabrication tools
> that use vector files to drive them.  Because of this, we have an excellent
> opportunity to attract new members or donations by providing classes in
> authoring vector files for these other Maker Spaces.
> I have already offered Inkscape classes to Boxshop members, but I will
> gladly offer these classes to anyone else.  But I don't want to own them
> because I am not Noisebridge.
> How do we want to proceed?
> I have a curriculum in mind that's been quasi-tested.  There are some
> gotchas with authoring this files that are, however, hard to teach.  Maybe
> we want to start developing a set of plug ins for Inkscape that handle these
> gotchas or otherwise provide useful fabrication features.

> Should these classes, plugins, and other fabrication logistics be a group
> effort?

Inkscape, openscad or a bit of blender, skeinforge & replicatorG, what
else needs to be taught?

I'll help teach classes -- If 20 people show up needing to learn how
to do some basic gui or cli shit, you'll mosdef need a team of folks

I'm interested in getting the hardware folks together to build add-ons
and mods for reprap and cupcake projects.

Any word on whether the cups drivers by Marius Kintel will work out
with this lazzor?