[EEG] near-infrared optical spectroscopy for brain scanning?

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Tue Aug 4 10:07:07 PDT 2009

I don't, but you can pick one up for $100 or so on Amazon. I think
they are a lot like the solid-state blood pressure monitors in that
all the good stuff (calibration, normalization) is contained in an
unhackable custom IC, and the business end will be just a
garden-variety IR LED and phototransistor. Still, could put a scope on
the phototransistor output and see what it looks like...

My hunch is that anything going on inside the skull will be several
orders of magnitude weaker than what you could pick up with an
off-the-shelf oximeter.

This seems to be the paper everyone cites: can anyone get a copy?
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0166-2236(97)01132-6