[Neuro] Eyes-open EEG stimulation via the ear canals

Mike Schachter mschachter at eigenminds.com
Thu Oct 11 18:24:53 UTC 2012

Hey Sai,

I'm also quite skeptical of all this, but not completely dismissive of
it. Here's the published paper from the Valkee people about OPN3

Using 10 rats, they immuno-label OPN3 protein and find it expressed in
cortex, cerebellum, and hypothalamus. It'd be interesting to see some
studies from people who aren't affiliated with a company that produces
in-ear light therapy products. That's what makes this study so
suspect. Some of the authors stand to make serious financial gain from
skewing their results. In most papers you see a small section where
the authors declare no conflict of interest. In this case, there is no
such section and a HUGE conflict of interest.

Also, the unecessary enthusiasm of Mr. Perry and his incorrect
citation of a paper that deals with optogenetics that has nothing to
do with light sensitive neurons in the brain makes me more skeptical.
Maybe you guys should tone it down a bit, you're just shooting light
into people's ears and hoping it works. Which is fine. But not