[Noisebridge-discuss] Bricked Router

Casey Callendrello c1 at caseyc.net
Tue Jan 18 15:02:55 PST 2011

Before you go JTAG crazy, you might have an easier option, which has
saved me in the past. On booting, the WRT54G will wait 1 second on the
most recently configured IP address for a TFTP PUT. On getting one, it
will accept a TFTP transfer and load it in to firmware. If it doesn't
receive one, it will attempt to boot via the traditional method. I've
successfully de-bricked a router twice using this option.

There is a more formal wiki introduction here:
but all you need to do is (on a linux and macos box)

1) Hardcode your wired interface to something like

2) Type the following

rexmt 1
timeout 60

3) Type this command but don't hit enter
tftp> put $FILENAME.bin

Hit enter and power up the router at about the same time; tftp will
constantly re-try.  It might take a few tries to win the race, so don't
get discouraged. I highly suggest using the vanilla Linksys firmware for
this :-).

Best of luck!