[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Hacker Ethics was: Noisebridge Hackers Voter Guide?
embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:03:20 PST 2011
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Totally opening a can of worms here all over the list.
Yum. Just theoretically: what principles would inform a hacker's
political or ideological positions, and how could those principles be
applied to today's issues?
Here are a few principles from a very influential book on hackers;
working out how they relate to San Franciscans in 2011 might be an
- Access to computers—and anything which might teach you something
about the way the world works—should be unlimited and total. Always
yield to the Hands-On Imperative!
- All information should be free
- Mistrust authority — promote decentralization
- Hackers should be judged by their hacking, not criteria such as
degrees, age, race, sex, or position
- You can create art and beauty on a computer
- Computers can change your life for the better
More information about the Noisebridge-discuss