[Noisebridge-discuss] Occupy sf gearing up for raid weds evening
rachel lyra hospodar
rachelyra at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:44:27 PST 2011
Here is an email with a little background info on why a big raid is
suspected to be imminent. The camp has been subject to several smaller
raids recently and the city has been kind of shady in their dealings with
this offer of space.
Thanks be to noisebridge's awesomeness for helping to gestate occupysf
website 2.0, scheduled for birth by caesarean section at 8pm Wednesday, at
noisebridge. Party immediately following at bradley manning/justin herman
plaza. BYO Snacks (and some for me too)!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Ki Won Yoon" <kiwonyoon at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 30, 2011 2:23 AM
Subject: [osf-facilitation] Tuesday Nov 29th summary and plans for the next
Apologies for spamming so many list at once. Just wanted to get the word
out to as many people as possible. The OSF GA earlier tonight had consensus
on rejecting the city's offer of the 16th & Mission space and its list of
17 provisions. The news is already out:
Jerry Selness personally spoke to Mohammed Nuru on the phone during the GA
and told him that he would be stepping down as a liaison, and that OSF
would respond directly as a group to the city's offer tomorrow.
There is now an ad hoc team of people (including Magick, Lisa, Diana, etc.)
who will be putting together a statement outlining our reasons for the
rejection of the offer. This statement will come to the GA tomorrow for
consensus, and immediately released if consensus is achieved. This
statement is expected not only to be a list of grievances but a firm
assertion of our core values and aspirations.
The Web WG is expected to go live with the new occupysf.org site tomorrow,
correct? Would be a great way to launch the new site with the OSF
statement/manifesto. :) Lisa G is point person for the drafting of the
statement, if Web folks want to coordinate. Also relevant to Web & Media
WGs is Milo's idea of having a video speak-out, of having multitude of
voices on camera sharing their thoughts on these issues, as a complement to
any collective written statement, and this had a lot of positive support
during the GA.
A call for a rally in support of the occupation of JHP has gone out to the
various labor/faith/community groups by their respective spokespersons, and
unless there is a change in expectations before noon of a raid tomorrow
night (in which case a cancellation will be sent out to everyone), we will
have a massive gathering of supporters at JHP tomorrow starting at 9 pm.
Emergency text notification system is in effect. Please remind people to
text 'occupysf' (no quotes) to 234-200-4031 to join the text tree if they
haven't. The three admins for triggering the SOS text are: Gene D., Peter
P., (both cc'ed here) and myself. Please coordinate all real-time requests
for text call-outs through us. The Communications WG will be coordinating
internally through our own text group to verify info and corroborate prior
to any SOS call-outs. We will plan on an initial call-out for help by noon
tomorrow if the 9 pm rally is not cancelled, then report as absolutely
necessary as the situation develops.
Communications folks, any chance we can get a mostly factual sum-up of the
decision to reject the city offer and some of the reasons why as a press
release by sometime tomorrow am? Something that would not need consensus...
The full statement won't be finalized until 8-9 pm, and there may be a need
to control the message and the media spin during the day/evening news
cycles, and bring clarity to exactly what transpired earlier tonight. I can
help tomorrow early morning. Others, please let Comms know if you can help
make this happen before noon.
I'm relishing the opportunity to have our voices heard, and to bring
renewed strength and clarity to this movement, no matter what happens
tomorrow. Looking forward to brighter days ahead.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Noisebridge-discuss