[Noisebridge-discuss] [dorkbotsf-blabber] Embedded code - version control experience?

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:30:17 PST 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Larry Edelstein wrote:

> I've worked in software for a long time now, and feel qualified to
> speak on VCS. It's changed, and you valiant garage-dwelling
> embedded guys and dolls (please allow me my romantic image of
> y'all) shouldn't miss out on what's new.
> The "distributed", peer-to-peer version control systems like Git,
> Mercurial, and Bazaar are much better than dinosaurs like CVS, SVN,
> SourceSafe, etc. for just about any project.

CVS is a long-obsolete, inadequate, and overly flawed tool, but it
doesn't deserve the dishonor of being mentioned in the same sentence
as SourceSafe.

>  But if you make the investment to get used to distributed VCS, you
> will never go back.

Agreed.  I went from CVS straight to Git, and now I find SVN
unbearable.  If I need to work on a project in SVN, I download a
source tarball and check it into a local Git repo, hack on it, and
send patches to the mailing list.

> When you use one of these new-wave VCS, you store your code in a
> repository a server, like you're used to, but you and anyone else
> who works with that code replicates most or all of that repository
> on their development machine. (Now that we all have plenty of hard-
> drive space and low-latency high-bandwidth networks (er, except
> Carl), replication is cheap.)

Especially if the project has SVN "branches" or "tags" for each
release.  Try checking out the nginx SVN repo, for example.  You get
3 *gigs* of data; the actual checkout is only about 5 megs.  And the
checkout takes forever.  Git keeps your entire history in each client
repo as well, but does so in a way that's efficient both to transfer
and to store on disk.  (For one thing, it doesn't keep multiple
copies of the same blob of data.)