No subject

Mon Mar 19 15:35:39 PDT 2012

work on cool projects, and do cool stuff; not a place to leech resources
that could potentially be used by others, in a constructive way.

IHO sitting on our public terminal for hours to watch Youtube videos, while
somebody else needs it to look at a circuit diagram is definitively what
Noisebridge is not about. As a really Cool Hacker left because that was
exactly what happened.

In addition no one was kicked out earlier as I was a part of the
conversation that transpired. Another person and I informed the person with
his friend of what happened and why the Cool Hacker left as one of them was
the cause of it.

These specific people have been coming to Noisebridge for about two weeks
during the day to lounge around on the couches or the cafe area, and I feel
have been using this place as just a place to "Well... watch Youtube videos
& hold; even lay all over eachother (is that what Noisebridge is about? Is
that Hacking?) while on the couches-as I've witnessed on so many occasions.

They were then asked if they had an understanding of what Noisebridge is,
and said that they did not. This was also after I myself have gave them a
complete tour with emphasis on Noisebridge being a place to work, attend
FREE classes, and H at K on projects; not to just sit around and do nothing
(As these people have been doing for the past two and a half weeks).

In addition I didn't initiate the conversation, I just agreed with the
person who did, and thought it would be a good idea to collaboratively
discuss these matters with them, as this is a place to do so.

I've spoken to them about classes and all of the cool stuff that they could
do and learn, yet they seemed to have just decided to do what was mentioned
above only. And I think they left because they understood that this isn't
just a hangout, but a hackerspace, and might even come back for classes.

Once again, IHO Noisebridge is about:Learning, collaborating, & H at KiNg; not
just to be another place to go to just hang out, cook food, and do
practically nothing.

Cheers & sorry for the long thread as I think every word that was typed was
needed.
- Rayc

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Cobolt Blue <iamcobolt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have become concerned with the way we may be going about kicking people
> out of the space as there seems to be a select group who have taken it upon
> them selfs, even during the day, to remove people they don't like from the
> space. while I will generally be the fine with removing some of these
> people in the evening hours and asking them to come back during the day, I
> feel that during the day we should be trying to encourage them to learn,
> hack or teach something. In our effort to "get rid of the slackers" we are
> just assuming they are a bad apple to be removed where we should be
> attempting to bring them into the community. I much prefer how Mitch
> handles it with a friendly how are you doing today, followed by a what are
> you hacking, a description of how we define excellence here and if needed
> an encouragement to join a project or group. Just some food for thought and
> an observation.
>
> -Cobolt

--f46d040891ebccd0ac04bced6880

9;t think there is a group of people that are kicking people out of Noisebr=
idge; however I do think there are a few who are informing people of what N=
oisebridge is and is not.=A0</div>
 learn cool things, work on cool projects, and do cool stuff; not a place t=
o leech resources that could potentially be used by others, in a constructi=
ve way.=A0<br>
hile somebody else needs it to look at a circuit diagram is=A0definitively=
=A0what Noisebridge is not about. As a really Cool Hacker left because that=
 was exactly what happened.=A0</div>
rt of the conversation that transpired. Another person and I informed the p=
erson with his friend of what happened and why the Cool Hacker left as one =
of them was the cause of it. =A0</div>
or about two weeks during the day to lounge around on the couches or the ca=
fe area, and I feel have been using this place as just a place to &quot;Wel=
l... watch Youtube videos &amp; hold; even lay all over eachother (is that =
what Noisebridge is about? Is that Hacking?) while on the couches-as I&#39;=
ve witnessed on so many occasions.=A0</div>
at Noisebridge is, and said that they did not. This was also after I myself=
 have gave them a complete tour with emphasis on Noisebridge being a place =
to work, attend FREE classes, and H at K on projects; not to just sit around a=
nd do nothing (As these people have been doing for the past two and a half =
weeks).=A0</div>
ust agreed with the person who did, and thought it would be a good idea to =
collaboratively discuss these matters with them, as this is a place to do s=
o.=A0</div>
ol stuff that they could do and learn, yet they seemed to have just decided=
 to do what was mentioned above only. And I think they left because they un=
derstood that this isn&#39;t just a hangout, but a hackerspace, and might e=
ven come back for classes.=A0</div>
ating, &amp; H at KiNg; not just to be another place to go to just hang out, c=
mp; sorry for the long thread as I think every word that was typed was need=
ed.=A0</div>
_quote">On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Cobolt Blue <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<=
a href=3D"mailto:iamcobolt at gmail.com">iamcobolt at gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello all,<br>
I have become concerned with the way we may be going about kicking people o=
ut of the space as there seems to be a select group who have taken it upon =
them selfs, even during the day, to remove people they don&#39;t like from =
the space. while I will generally be the fine with removing some of these p=
eople in the evening hours and asking them to come back during the day, I f=
eel that during the day we should be trying to encourage them to learn, hac=
k or teach something. In our effort to &quot;get rid of the slackers&quot; =
we are just assuming they are a bad apple to be removed where we should be =
attempting to bring them into the community. I much prefer how Mitch handle=
s it with a friendly how are you doing today, followed by a what are you ha=
cking, a description of how we define excellence here and if needed an enco=
uragement to join a project or group. Just some food for thought and an obs=
ervation.<br>

Noisebridge-discuss mailing list<br>
scuss at lists.noisebridge.net</a><br>