[Noisebridge-discuss] Inexpensive android tablets?

Alex Buie alex.buie at frozenfeline.net
Sat Apr 6 17:48:13 UTC 2013

Lots of friends/collegues/family members have gotten the "Ainol Fire" (best
name, I know) and fallen in love with it.

No card reader, but hacking a square reader to return unencrypted output to
an app like Rhombus is as easy as breaking a trace with a xacto knife.

I've only had experience personally with the "Fire"/"flame" (first result
on that list), but reviews/friends all seem to like their ainol devices.

The latest flagship device is the Crystal.

It lacks a few features that the fire has (mostly just NAND space and
screen resolution), but gets you the latest Android, and is cheaper.

One thing I like about these is that they a) have hw decoders for h.264
(among others) and b) 1080p hdmi out, which makes throwing something onto a
projector or a TV super simple.

Lastly, both devices have play store access, which is something you can run
into the lower end devices not having.

(Oh, and I have only praises for mcbub. That's where I recommend all my
friends who want to get "off-brand" electronics. Fantastic service, quick
shipping, reasonably priced)