[Noisebridge-discuss] Feces and Urine in the shop
xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 09:21:36 UTC 2013
--- On Wed, 4/17/13, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> I think that we need more confrontations with people who
> are, literally and metaphorically, shitting in the space, to
> discourage them from coming around as much and, literally
> and metaphorically, make more room for the kind of people
> who do not need to be confronted for their negative acts
> because instead they are doing something excellent.
I agree. I believe we also need to be a bit more supportive of those who *do* confront these behaviors, rather than taking lame excuses and rationalizations or blaming the messenger.
* A person in the space keeps picking up people's stuff. When asked to put it back, we hear "I'm just looking at it". Repeatedly. And it takes ten to twenty minutes for the person to stop "looking at it" - Since when have people at noisebridge had eyes implanted into the fingers?
* A person in the space is being loud and disruptive. But if anyone says anything, the person turns it into a joke at the confronter's expense. Because if the person is laughing and smiling, the noise is no longer disruptive.
* A person in the space is confronted and gets belligerent. Somehow this is a signal for everyone else to pretend not to see/hear what is happening.
* A person in the space, who cares about noisebridge enough to confront bad behavior, has their suggestions disregarded because "you seem to have a lot of problems with people."
Later, rinse, repeat. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.
- Reverend Mik McAllister
"You can see the summit but you can't reach it
Its the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain"
- Howard Jones, "No One Is To Blame"
Purveyor of Subversive Fiction
More information about the Noisebridge-discuss