[Noisebridge-discuss] [SPAM] Re: Red asked to leave.

Robert "Finny" Merrill rfmerrill at berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 19 00:55:14 UTC 2013


Thanks for that article!

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM, hep <dis at gruntle.org> wrote:
> also, for a take on why some people think SF is so racist, Tim Wise does a
> really good job of breaking down the minority experience in sf.
>
> http://www.timwise.org/2010/08/with-friends-like-these-who-needs-glenn-beck-racism-and-white-privilege-on-the-liberal-left/
>
> let's not forget that the numbers were just released showing the black
> population has once again shrunk down dramatically once again:
>
> http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/breed-decries-shrinking-sf-black-population/Content?oid=2445469
>
> the bold italic just covered some of the problems with a less racially
> diverse city, and how behaviors become more unintentionally racist:
>
> http://www.thebolditalic.com/PeterLawrenceKane/stories/3001-is-san-francisco-as-not-racist-as-it-thinks-it-is
>
> and dregs one is currently doing an amazing series on the issues minorities
> face in SF:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdcU-4cqQ8
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNiV4mYvRtU
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wdmegvAnSw
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXii8OGcM7o
>
>  for anyone who wants to actually learn about this issue instead of just
> brushing off the opinions of what the people living through it feel about
> their own situations and experiences.
>
> -hep
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM, hep <dis at gruntle.org> wrote:
>>
>> my point of comparison is growing up as  someone of minority descent in
>> the bay area. my family has repeatedly be told to go back to mexico here
>> despite the fact that we have lived in sf since we called it yerba buena. i
>> constantly have to deal with privileged white assholes being completely
>> racist on a variety of microaggressions daily (this being one of them btw.
>> the idea that a minority needs to be "told" what racism is, and informed
>> that their experiences suffering racism aren't valid because they don't fit
>> a bunch of white guys' perceptions of what racism is.) I am perfectly
>> capable of deciding how racist my own experiences have been, and able to
>> accurately compare them to the rest of the country I have lived in,
>> including louisiana and georgia. Yes, the Bay Area is one of the most racist
>> places in this country. Primarily because for some reason a bunch of white
>> people who never experience racism (plz do not bring up "reverse racism"
>> here because I really don't want you to embarrass yourself) believe that
>> because they never see something or recognize when they do something it must
>> not happen. FYI: were we not JUST discussing "south american caffeine" and a
>> bunch of racist assumptions on another thread?
>>
>> -hep
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Robert "Finny" Merrill
>> <rfmerrill at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> No really like, what is your point of comparison here?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> hep
>> hepic photography || www.hepic.net
>>     dis at gruntle.org || 415 867 9472
>
>
>
>
> --
> hep
> hepic photography || www.hepic.net
>     dis at gruntle.org || 415 867 9472


More information about the Noisebridge-discuss mailing list