[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge-discuss March 30th Fundraiser? Yay or nay?

James Sundquist sundquistjames at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 23:17:38 UTC 2013


Please post everything you talk about relating to the Fundraiser to to the
wiki (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/art) or directly to discuss.  Thank
you!

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM, rachel lyra hospodar <rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi robb.
>
> And noisebridge.
>
> I would like to share some things.
>
> Robb is someone I met during Occupy. He almost singlehandedly managed the
> finances of OccupySF, as well as being involved with the media team and
> having a finger in many other pies (ha! get it? Occu-pie!) as well.
>
> He would frequently schedule meetings at times when most people happened
> to be unavailable.  There was no small consternation over his decision to
> take sole control of the occupysf at gmail alias.
>
> There is also the matter of the missing money - at least $9000 is
> unaccounted for. This is the money that I was told, by Finance, was
> remaining at the conclusion/diffusion of the movement, ultimately never to
> be seen again. This is in addition to monies that went missing during the
> course of things.
>
> While I do not know what happened to that money, and have little personal
> beef with Robb,
>
> I do not think it would be the best plan for him, or some mysterious 3rd
> party presented by him, to handle money on noisebridge's behalf.
>
> My .02
> R.
> On Mar 7, 2013 6:52 AM, "Robert Benson" <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Stan & I are going to be talking about this Friday night. I nominated him
>> to organize the fund raising aspect and he didn't object. We can skype you
>> in if you can't physically make it.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM, <
>> noisebridge-discuss-request at lists.noisebridge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Send Noisebridge-discuss mailing list submissions to
>>>         noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>>
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>>         https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>>         noisebridge-discuss-request at lists.noisebridge.net
>>>
>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>>         noisebridge-discuss-owner at lists.noisebridge.net
>>>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>> than "Re: Contents of Noisebridge-discuss digest..."
>>>
>>> Today's Topics:
>>>
>>>    1. Akihabara advice? (Adam Engelhart)
>>>    2. Replicator Wednesday? (Chris Johnson)
>>>    3. LCD screen hacking (Ray)
>>>    4. Re: LCD screen hacking (Felipe Sanches)
>>>    5. Re: LCD screen hacking (Felipe Sanches)
>>>    6. Re: March 30th Fundraiser? Yay or nay? (Naomi Most)
>>>    7. Re: LCD screen hacking (Felipe Sanches)
>>>    8. attn Python hackers: PyPy guys are around next week (Naomi Most)
>>>    9. Re: attn Python hackers: PyPy guys are around next week
>>>       (Seth David Schoen)
>>>   10. Re: LCD screen hacking (Ray)
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Adam Engelhart <adam at tellumo.net>
>>> To: NoiseBridge Discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Cc:
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 22:08:17 +0900
>>> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Akihabara advice?
>>> Konban wa, Noisebridge-san!
>>>
>>> I'm in beautiful Tokyo for a month on business, and one of the things
>>> on the docket is a trip to Akihabara Electric Town, the technology
>>> district. Does anybody have any information or advice for a trip? I've
>>> only been there once before, and that was about a decade ago.
>>>
>>> Let me know if you want me to pick anything up while I'm here. Thanks,
>>> and have fun!
>>>
>>> --Adam Engelhart
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Chris Johnson <who_is_chuck at yahoo.com>
>>> To: "noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net" <
>>> noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Cc:
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:30:38 -0800 (PST)
>>> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Replicator Wednesday?
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> Is Replicator Wednesday happening tonight?  Where at?
>>>
>>>  Also, this is my first time using a mailing list.  Am I doing this
>>> right?
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>> To: noisebridge-discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Cc:
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:35:36 -0800
>>> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] LCD screen hacking
>>> Hey,
>>> I have come upon a big pile of identical LCD screens from cameras. I
>>> really want to figure out how to make these do something for artsy
>>> projects! The problem is that there are no driver ICs visible on them, and
>>> there are no numbers on there that seem to turn up anything on google, and
>>> i'm not sure where to go next on trying to figure out how to drive them.
>>> Has anyone played around with driving TFT displays?
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>> To: Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>> Cc: noisebridge-discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 21:36:59 -0300
>>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] LCD screen hacking
>>> Can you send us a photo of it, please?
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> > Hey,
>>> > I have come upon a big pile of identical LCD screens from cameras. I
>>> really
>>> > want to figure out how to make these do something for artsy projects!
>>> The
>>> > problem is that there are no driver ICs visible on them, and there are
>>> no
>>> > numbers on there that seem to turn up anything on google, and i'm not
>>> sure
>>> > where to go next on trying to figure out how to drive them. Has anyone
>>> > played around with driving TFT displays?
>>> >
>>> > _______________________________________________
>>> > Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> > Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>> To: Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>> Cc: noisebridge-discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 21:39:11 -0300
>>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] LCD screen hacking
>>> Are you able to determine whether these are pixel-matrix or icon based
>>> LCDs ? Maybe by observing the contrast of light reflecting on its
>>> surface you may see some shapes if it's icon-based or you can see a
>>> rectangular grid if it's pixel based...
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> > Can you send us a photo of it, please?
>>> >
>>> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> >> Hey,
>>> >> I have come upon a big pile of identical LCD screens from cameras. I
>>> really
>>> >> want to figure out how to make these do something for artsy projects!
>>> The
>>> >> problem is that there are no driver ICs visible on them, and there
>>> are no
>>> >> numbers on there that seem to turn up anything on google, and i'm not
>>> sure
>>> >> where to go next on trying to figure out how to drive them. Has anyone
>>> >> played around with driving TFT displays?
>>> >>
>>> >> _______________________________________________
>>> >> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> >> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> >> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> >>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Naomi Most <pnaomi at gmail.com>
>>> To: Justin Morrison <me at justinmorrison.net>
>>> Cc: Noisebridge Discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:36:44 -0800
>>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] March 30th Fundraiser? Yay or nay?
>>> Let me help you guys form a planning checklist.  I can't commit much
>>> ongoing time, but I have a good brain for squishy systems thinking,
>>> i.e. forseeing and preventing enviro-social snafus, so at least I can
>>> help figure out how to make Noisebridge a reasonable venue for an
>>> event of the kind we've never done before.
>>>
>>> --Naomi
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Justin Morrison <me at justinmorrison.net>
>>> wrote:
>>> > I'm in. Performing entertainment. Bringing two guests from Amsterdam.
>>> >
>>> > --
>>> > Justin Morrison
>>> > http://justinmorrison.net
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Tony Longshanks LeTigre
>>> > <anthonyletigre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >> Zines, lit, merch & swag. On a table. I'll organize that. T-shirts,
>>> >> stickers, hacker treasures, souvenirs & curios. If anyone wants to
>>> help me
>>> >> organize that, get at me.
>>> >>
>>> >> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM, James Sundquist <
>>> sundquistjames at gmail.com>
>>> >> wrote:
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Food?  Art?  People?  Guidance!
>>> >>> _______________________________________________
>>> >>> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> >>> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> >>> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> >>>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> _______________________________________________
>>> >> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> >> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> >> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > _______________________________________________
>>> > Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> > Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Naomi Theora Most
>>> naomi at nthmost.com
>>> +1-415-728-7490
>>>
>>> skype: nthmost
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/nthmost
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>> To: Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>> Cc: noisebridge-discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 22:40:13 -0300
>>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] LCD screen hacking
>>> Something that frequently fucks up attempts of reverse engineering
>>> these devices is the usage of flex-connectors such as this one. It's
>>> very hard to probe signals with such tiny connectors...
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> > It looks like there's possibly an IC where the ribbon cable goes in. It
>>> > displays full color pictures so it has to be pixel based. I can't get
>>> a good
>>> > close up of the ribbon cable with my phone, but there are quite a few
>>> traces
>>> > on it, probably on the order of 50. There is a group of traces that are
>>> > thinner, and a group that are thicker.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >> Can you send us a photo of it, please?
>>> >>
>>> >> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >> > Hey,
>>> >> > I have come upon a big pile of identical LCD screens from cameras. I
>>> >> > really
>>> >> > want to figure out how to make these do something for artsy
>>> projects!
>>> >> > The
>>> >> > problem is that there are no driver ICs visible on them, and there
>>> are
>>> >> > no
>>> >> > numbers on there that seem to turn up anything on google, and i'm
>>> not
>>> >> > sure
>>> >> > where to go next on trying to figure out how to drive them. Has
>>> anyone
>>> >> > played around with driving TFT displays?
>>> >> >
>>> >> > _______________________________________________
>>> >> > Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> >> > Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> >> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>> >> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Naomi Most <pnaomi at gmail.com>
>>> To: Noisebridge Discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Cc:
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:45:21 -0800
>>> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] attn Python hackers: PyPy guys are around
>>> next week
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Some of the PyPy developers will be in SF next week and they are
>>> actively courting appearances and dinner engagements:
>>>
>>> http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2013/02/hello-everyone.html
>>>
>>> Should we invite them to NB?  If so, when?  I'm happy to coordinate if
>>> a few people pipe up.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Naomi
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Naomi Theora Most
>>> naomi at nthmost.com
>>> +1-415-728-7490
>>>
>>> skype: nthmost
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/nthmost
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>
>>> To: Naomi Most <pnaomi at gmail.com>
>>> Cc: Noisebridge Discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:56:12 -0800
>>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] attn Python hackers: PyPy guys are
>>> around next week
>>> Naomi Most writes:
>>>
>>> > Greetings,
>>> >
>>> > Some of the PyPy developers will be in SF next week and they are
>>> > actively courting appearances and dinner engagements:
>>> >
>>> > http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2013/02/hello-everyone.html
>>> >
>>> > Should we invite them to NB?  If so, when?  I'm happy to coordinate if
>>> > a few people pipe up.
>>>
>>> I think it would be terrific if they gave a talk at Noisebridge!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>      |  No haiku patents
>>>      http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/        |  means I've no incentive
>>> to
>>>   FD9A6AA28193A9F03D4BF4ADC11B36DC9C7DD150  |        -- Don Marti
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>> To: Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>> Cc: noisebridge-discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 23:45:23 -0800
>>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] LCD screen hacking
>>> Yeah, even if i do get it figured out, finding that connector (or
>>> sufficiently improving my soldering skills to solder the tiny pads on the
>>> end) will be the other half of the challenge
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>wrote:
>>>
>>>> Something that frequently fucks up attempts of reverse engineering
>>>> these devices is the usage of flex-connectors such as this one. It's
>>>> very hard to probe signals with such tiny connectors...
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> > It looks like there's possibly an IC where the ribbon cable goes in.
>>>> It
>>>> > displays full color pictures so it has to be pixel based. I can't get
>>>> a good
>>>> > close up of the ribbon cable with my phone, but there are quite a few
>>>> traces
>>>> > on it, probably on the order of 50. There is a group of traces that
>>>> are
>>>> > thinner, and a group that are thicker.
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Can you send us a photo of it, please?
>>>> >>
>>>> >> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Ray <waywardengineer at gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >> > Hey,
>>>> >> > I have come upon a big pile of identical LCD screens from cameras.
>>>> I
>>>> >> > really
>>>> >> > want to figure out how to make these do something for artsy
>>>> projects!
>>>> >> > The
>>>> >> > problem is that there are no driver ICs visible on them, and there
>>>> are
>>>> >> > no
>>>> >> > numbers on there that seem to turn up anything on google, and i'm
>>>> not
>>>> >> > sure
>>>> >> > where to go next on trying to figure out how to drive them. Has
>>>> anyone
>>>> >> > played around with driving TFT displays?
>>>> >> >
>>>> >> > _______________________________________________
>>>> >> > Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>>> >> > Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>>> >> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>>> >> >
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>>> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> *occupysf.org*
>> *twitter.com/sf99er*
>> *youtube.com/sf99er*
>> *ustream.tv/channel/occupysflive*
>> *
>> *
>> *First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
>> then you win*.
>> - Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
>>
>> *But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
>> the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
>> it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to
>> provide new Guards for their future security.*
>> - Declaration of Independence*
>> *
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/attachments/20130309/62f12efc/attachment.html>


More information about the Noisebridge-discuss mailing list