[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: how Noisebridge could improve

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Fri Apr 18 20:05:26 UTC 2014


You probably didn't mean it this way, Hannah, but this reads to me like 
"men are useless nothing gets done until the women pick it up".  Which 
is obviously both incorrect and unhelpful for building community :)

Rachel1.0

On 4/17/14 8:02 PM, Hannah Grimm wrote:
> There's this weird thing that seems to happen when about half a dozen
> ladies all start commenting in the same thread where I suddenly start to
> believe that maybe things are getting better and that it *IS* within our
> ability to fix this community <3<3<3
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
> <rachelyra at gmail.com <mailto:rachelyra at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     Once I was talking (I think on here) about the way that Jesse z
>     assaulted someone at Noisebridge, and found myself using tortured
>     sentence constructions to avoid naming Jesse while freely naming the
>     person he assaulted. This was a learning experience for me, as I
>     came to realize as I was doing it how backwards it was. I think that
>     it's interesting to examine my own psychology around this shift, and
>     offer my own behavior as an example of the ways society reinforces
>     victim blaming, and so conversely suggesting a way to actively
>     dismantle victim-blaming.
>
>     It is important to name the perpetrator, and protect the victim's
>     identity where possible.
>
>     When you say that naming a person summons them, it is neurologically
>     true. The way that memory works, naming a person evokes them within
>     your mind, bringing up a sense/memory impression of them - so it
>     makes sense to want to avoid this. I think that by evoking memories
>     in more distant terms they probably seem more manageable & less
>     stress-inducing. It's a strategy, but there are other strategies.
>
>     This is interesting to me to in part because of how it illuminates
>     one of the reasons folks often don't report harassment - because
>     they don't want their name to be associated with such a negative
>     thing, because often the harassed are dragged through the mud once
>     they report. Any mechanism designed to deal with harassment needs to
>     address these realities in order to function.
>
>     --blink blink--
>
>     Wow, are we having a grown-up conversation?
>
>     --blink blink--
>
>     You're right, Rachel and Liz and Lupita; I'm not sure what my
>     hesitation was.  Sometimes it feels like naming a person is a way to
>     summon them back.
>
>     --Naomi
>
>
>     On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Liz Henry <lizhenry at gmail.com
>     <mailto:lizhenry at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > Oh, the redshirt guy's name? That was Joseph Adam Moore aka Adam,
>     twitter
>      > handle @dielaughing.
>      >
>      > He is in the sex offender database for some sort of crime
>     involving a minor
>      > under 14. Domestic violence, harassment, stalking.   If you do an
>     image
>      > search you can find photos of him from his social media profiles
>     as well as
>      > past arrest records.
>      >
>      > I think people don't use his name all that often because he has a
>     clear
>      > history of violence and litigiousness.  But it's important to
>     name folks
>      > like this so that we have some institutional memory of already having
>      > figured out their ways of manipulating people and entire communities.
>      >
>      > Here is the SF court search page:
>      > http://www.sfsuperiorcourt.org/online-services
>      > Then go to "Name Search Query"
>      > Then enter "Moore, Joseph" and take a look at the civil cases
>     listed for
>      > Joseph Adam Moore.
>      > Take a look at APP-13-007554, then at "SUPPLEMENTAL TO PETITION
>     FOR WRIT OF
>      > MANDATE AND SUPPORTING EXHIBITS FILED BY PETITIONER MOORE, JOSEPH
>     ADAM"
>      > which is a big PDF filed by Moore's lawyer.  It has some stuff
>     from his
>      > probation officer in there which reveal some of the details of
>     the domestic
>      > violence and harassment charges from criminal court.   The full
>     records
>      > would be available if anyone were to go looking for them, and
>     here's how:
>      >
>     http://www.sfsuperiorcourt.org/divisions/criminal/obtain-criminal-records
>      >
>      >
>      > C
>      > heers.
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM, rachel lyra hospodar
>     <rachelyra at gmail.com <mailto:rachelyra at gmail.com>>
>      > wrote:
>      >>
>      >> Any list like this needs context, links, or data on the
>     incidents to be
>      >> useful. There is for me some difference between 'convicted of felony
>      >> assault' and 'emailed tom a lot'.


More information about the Noisebridge-discuss mailing list