[Noisebridge-discuss] History of my member page on the wiki

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Sat Feb 1 16:42:13 UTC 2014


On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 05:38:23PM -0800, Al Sweigart wrote:
> On a related note: This is a perfect example of how consensus stifles
> debate & communication instead of encouraging it: Leif didn't even have to
> block, he just had to say he would. That's enough to cause someone to
> quietly withdraw their proposal and no one else would ever know about.
> 
> -Al

I think it was an example of consensus working well, until it was circumvented.

In my opinion it was unnecessary to spend everyone's time (including plenty of
people who don't/didn't know him) talking about it, but Ron or anyone else
could always have brought it up at a meeting if they wanted input from more
people.

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Point of fact: Leif never blocked his membership. Ron withdrew it.

He withdrew it because I told him (and others) that I was blocking it.

> > Three people asked Leif why he said he'd block his membership; apparently
> > they disagreed with his "Ron is a troll" accusation and probably thought he
> > would be fine for membership.

Actually people who I think are mutual friends of Ron's and mine, after asking
me why I'd blocked his membership, essentially told me that they thought my
assessment was correct (that he was likely to escalate potential conflicts in
Noisebridge discussions for entertainment value).

> > I don't think Ron forgot it, but I can see why you are asking if he did:
> > it's a two year old accusation.

He didn't just omit it, though: He explicitly stated that it never happened. I
think he was assuming (somewhat correctly) that I wasn't paying close enough
attention to Noisebridge lately and might not notice.

~leif

> > -Al
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM, bfb <bfb at riseup.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Omitting this information from discussion is classical "not on good
> >> faith". Ron, did you forget that Leif had blocked your membership?
> >>
> >> -Kevin
> >>
> >>
> >> -------- Original message --------
> >> From: Al Sweigart
> >> Date:01/30/2014 09:47 (GMT-08:00)
> >> To: Leif Ryge
> >> Cc: NoiseBridge Discuss
> >> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] History of my member page on the wiki
> >>
> >> That was years ago, Leif. You're not exactly up on current events at
> >> Noisebridge. https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014_01_28
> >>
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:47 AM, Leif Ryge <leif at synthesize.us> wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 07:53:01PM -0800, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
> >>> > I have no idea who changed it but my membership was never blocked.
> >>>  [...]
> >>>
> >>> Huh? How can you say your membership was never blocked? We had a
> >>> conversation
> >>> about why I wasn't comfortable with you being a member, which resulted
> >>> in you
> >>> withdrawing your membership application. I'm quite certain that you
> >>> interpreted
> >>> this conversation (as I did) as me blocking your membership, because at
> >>> least 3
> >>> other people asked me later why I'd blocked your membership.
> >>>
> >>> My primary reason for blocking your membership, as you'll recall, was
> >>> that I
> >>> believe your participation in Noisebridge meetings and discussions is
> >>> largely
> >>> disingenuous and "for the lulz" (read: you're a troll). Your claim above
> >>> that
> >>> your membership was "never blocked" after you'd specifically complained
> >>> to
> >>> other people that it was is a good example of this assessment being
> >>> correct.
> >>>
> >>> ~leif
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
> >>> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> >>> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 801 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/attachments/20140201/09e91f62/attachment.pgp>


More information about the Noisebridge-discuss mailing list