[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Meeting 10/10/2017
john.d.shutt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 17:53:37 UTC 2017
I apologize for getting irritated and saying, "How dismayed are you, really?" I know you're actively working towards making the space more accessible.
The big next step, in my view, is getting cost estimates for fixing the elevator if we need to press the landlord, sidestep the landlord, or collaborate with them in some way. We have some money heading to the bank account to address elevator maintenance, but without hard cost numbers we're spinning our wheels. With hard numbers, we can move quickly to get the elevator repaired and keep it fixed, and maybe even taking over regular elevator maintenance (and reducing our rent) as part of our lease negotiation since the landlord isn't handling it effectively.
If someone else can take the lead on getting numbers and a plan together, that would be good, since I'm stretched pretty thin.
Sent from my iPhone
> On Oct 13, 2017, at 9:33 AM, John Shutt <john.d.shutt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I spent yesterday at the Department of Building Inspection with revised plans, which were rejected since we need a signature from a licensed architect. I’m reaching out to a friend who is a licensed architect to see if I can get them to sign the drawings as the architect of record. I also need to look into our insurance liability for third-party “contractors” like architects or accountants.
> The possible consequence is that DBI decides to call a Director’s Hearing, which hears evidence on the complaint and decides what to do next. I have documentation showing that we tried to submit our plans before the deadline, and a voicemail from the inspector saying that we needed drawings “by a licensed architect or design professional,” which is the root of the confusion: we have drawings by a design professional, but not a licensed architect. So typically if it gets to a Director’s Hearing and there are more inspections needed, we would need to pay a fee for those extra inspections. I would push back on that since we have clearly been trying hard to comply with the instructions we were given.
> Bureaucracy is a mess, but we’ll get through it. We shouldn’t have to tear down the SparkleForge.
> @Kevin: As I said before, from what I’ve been told, I’m the only person who donated to Zach’s PayPal address when he posted it after working to fix the elevator. I’m putting my personal money where my mouth is when it comes to this, and I’m flat broke. Did you donate? If not, how dismayed are you really?
> The two questions are whether Noisebridge should invest general fund money into the building besides what we are ordered to invest by the state, and whether Noisebridge should pay people out of the general fund for their time and work on the space. From the feedback we’ve gotten, the answer to the second question is no. People have blocking concerns.
> The answer to the first question seems to be “yes, up to a point.” We would absolutely need to think about it if it cost $10,000 or something. Our lease is up next year. If we spend a huge amount of our money on a building we don’t own and then get kicked out, we might be screwed. Maybe that money would be better spent moving to a different building. Maybe we can find a way to force the landlord to pay for it. Have you researched how to force the landlord to pay? Or how much repairs cost? Do you have numbers that could actually help us make decisions about how to fix the elevator?
> Of course you have to think about this stuff. If you don’t think about it you run out of money. If you do think about it, you survive. If someone were to actually do the research and find out how much it would cost to hire an elevator repair company, maybe that’s $500, maybe that’s $20,000. Maybe if it’s $20,000 we still decide to spend it. More likely we work it out with the landlord where we would pay for the repairs and deduct it from our rent. Or if we can’t force the landlord to comply, we hold a major fundraiser.
> As for your hypothetical, I would have the exact same response if there was a critical issue with the third-floor door. I would suggest that I would support spending a certain amount of money to fix it, but it would be preferable if people raised money independently for the project. That’s obviously preferable since it keeps from draining the general fund.
> In this actual case, this discussion led to an observer pledging money to a dedicated Elevator Repair Fund nearly double the size of what was originally requested, which I consider a good outcome. If that’s inadequate to keep the elevator in good repair, then we can match it with money from the equipment fund. So now we have $1,440 to work with, without tapping the general fund. That’s $1,040 more than was requested, and it’s available because we discussed it.
> If that’s still not enough, we can think and talk about tapping the general fund—and my feeling is that we should! But it always has to be talked about and thought through, to arrive at the best outcome.
> John Shutt
>> On Oct 12, 2017, at 10:55 PM, frankbn at nym.hush.com wrote:
>> What is the status of "Building Permit Application#inspectiongate?"
>> What will happen at 2:00 PM Friday?
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 21:48:30 -0700 "kprichard"
>> <kprichard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Let's say the 3rd floor stairs door got stuck, nobody can come in
>>> or out.
>>> Landlord's repair person says they can't come for three weeks.
>> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
>> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Noisebridge-discuss