Josh,<div><br><div>    This is very good input. I will ask this item to be put on the meeting business for Tuesday (err.. actually, I should edit the wiki myself.. damn)...  to see if this is worth pursuing for tax advise, etc. </div>
<div><br></div><div>     I don&#39;t have a lot of time, I just see a need at Noisebridge and see a solution. Before putting any time into this, I&#39;d like to see who would block first -- to save myself the bother :)</div>
<div><br></div><div>Cheers,</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Glen<br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:josh@agliodbs.com">josh@agliodbs.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class="im"><br>
&gt; What sticky non-profit issues are there for us? Is this a horrible idea?<br>
&gt; Can we make it a mini-maker-faire type of event where people also can<br>
&gt; set up tables showing off kits they made, sell arduinos, etc.?<br>
<br>
</div>Who&#39;s our CPA?  We should ask them if charity auctions are considered<br>
&quot;unrelated business income&quot;; I don&#39;t remember what the criteria are.<br>
<br>
Selling arduino kits, t-shirts etc, is also possibly &quot;unrelated business<br>
income&quot; (UBI).  The standards for this are confusing and conditional;<br>
for example an arduino kit might be considered related to NB&#39;s mission<br>
if being sold for a class (educational), but not if being sold separately.<br>
<br>
The issue with UBI for a 501c3 is (a) you need to file a form for it<br>
with your annual 990 (b) you may need to pay sales tax (again, ask the<br>
CPA), and (c) if you have too much UBI then the IRS classifies you &quot;not<br>
a nonprofit&quot; and you lose your 501c3.  The standard for &quot;too much&quot; isn&#39;t<br>
completely clear, but if it&#39;s more than 10% of NB&#39;s annnual revenue,<br>
that&#39;s definitely dangerous.<br>
<br>
We definitely need to provide auction winners with a form which says<br>
&quot;you got X at charity auction, for a donation of $$$ for NB, a 501c3<br>
non-profit organization.  Value was received in return for your<br>
donation; consult your tax preparer to determine the charitable portion<br>
of your gift.&quot;  A huge no-no is supplying donors with any kind of<br>
valuation of the items purchased; that should be up to them.<br>
<br>
I am not a tax preparer, but I did spend 3 years being a fundraiser at<br>
the Opera, including running 3 silent auctions.  NB should definitely<br>
consult its CPA before going ahead with such an auction.<br>
<br>
Non-tax advice: I&#39;d suggest having a silent auction, maybe with online<br>
auctioning as well, for 80% of the items.  The remaining 20% most<br>
valuable/interesting/exclusive should be auctioned off auctioneer-style,<br>
preferably after a lot of beer (we once got $1500 for a signed<br>
sweatshirt this way) Try to pick items you know will have broad appeal,<br>
and maybe ones which are unique.  This is also dependant on having a<br>
good auctioneer, one who knows how to work a crowd and how to play off<br>
bidders against each other, so if you don&#39;t have such a person, you<br>
might stick to an exclusively silent auction.<br>
<br>
Do not underestimate the amount of time it will take you to tally all of<br>
the auctions.  Also, make sure you get full contact information for<br>
anyone making a bid at the start of the auction.<br>
<font color="#888888"><br>
--<br>
                                   -- Josh Berkus<br>
                                      PostgreSQL Experts Inc.<br>
                                      <a href="http://www.pgexperts.com" target="_blank">http://www.pgexperts.com</a><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Noisebridge-discuss mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:Noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net">Noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net</a><br>
<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss" target="_blank">https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss</a><br>
</font></blockquote></div><br><br clear="all"><br>-- <br>Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;<br>boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.<br><br>-- Goethe <br>
</div></div>