<div id="globalWrapper">
                <div id="column-content">
        <div id="content">
                <font size="2"><a name="top" id="top"></a></font>Meeting-o-meter:<br>Expected drama: 85%<br>Actual productivity: 98%<br><br>Some highlights:<br><br>
We have two new members,  Jorgen and Alex Paul! Hi to you!<br><br>There was agreement that we should postponed the proposed banning of Rob 2.0 until his return.<br><br>There are two other consensus items up for consideration next week: money for t-shirts (usually acceptable), and money for an electricity meter, after a fundraising period.<br>
<br><br>d.<br><br><br><br><br><h1 id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading"><font size="2">Meeting Notes 2011 09 13</font></h1>
                <div id="bodyContent">
                        
                        <div id="contentSub"><font size="2">(Redirected from <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Last_meeting&amp;redirect=no" title="Last meeting">Last meeting</a>)</font></div>
                                                                                                
                        <table id="toc" class="toc" summary="Contents"><tbody><tr><td><div id="toctitle"><h2><font size="2">Contents</font></h2> <font size="2"><span class="toctoggle"></span></font></div>
<ul><li class="toclevel-1"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Agenda"><span class="tocnumber">1</span> <span class="toctext">Agenda</span></a></font>
<ul><li class="toclevel-2"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Introduction_and_Names"><span class="tocnumber">1.1</span> <span class="toctext">Introduction and Names</span></a></font></li>
<li class="toclevel-2"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Short_Announcements"><span class="tocnumber">1.2</span> <span class="toctext">Short Announcements</span></a></font></li><li class="toclevel-2">
<font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#New_or_Stale_Events"><span class="tocnumber">1.3</span> <span class="toctext">New or Stale Events</span></a></font></li><li class="toclevel-2"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Financial_Report"><span class="tocnumber">1.4</span> <span class="toctext">Financial Report</span></a></font></li>
<li class="toclevel-2"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Membership_Binder"><span class="tocnumber">1.5</span> <span class="toctext">Membership Binder</span></a></font></li><li class="toclevel-2">
<font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Consensus_items"><span class="tocnumber">1.6</span> <span class="toctext">Consensus items</span></a></font></li><li class="toclevel-2"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#Discussion_Items"><span class="tocnumber">1.7</span> <span class="toctext">Discussion Items</span></a></font></li>
<li class="toclevel-2"><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Last_meeting#End_of_Meeting"><span class="tocnumber">1.8</span> <span class="toctext">End of Meeting</span></a></font></li></ul>
</li></ul>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<font size="2"><a name="Agenda" id="Agenda"></a></font><h2><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=1" title="Edit section: Agenda">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Agenda </span></font></h2>

<p><font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes" class="external text" title="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes" rel="nofollow">The 178th Meeting of Noisebridge</a></font>
</p><p><font size="2">Note-taker: <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Malaclyps" title="User:Malaclyps">User:Malaclyps</a></font>
</p><p><font size="2">Moderator: <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Leif" title="User:Leif">User:Leif</a></font>
</p>
<font size="2"><a name="Introduction_and_Names" id="Introduction_and_Names"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=2" title="Edit section: Introduction and Names">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Introduction and Names </span></font></h3>

<ul><li> <font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge_Vision" title="Noisebridge Vision">What Noisebridge is about</a>:
 &quot;Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, 
collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. 
Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the 
public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to
 exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. 
Our code of conduct is &#39;Be excellent to each other&#39;.&quot;
</font></li></ul>
<ul><li><font size="2"> Round of introductions: What&#39;s your name, what do you do, and 
if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the 
moderator and go left.
</font></li></ul>
<p><font size="2">Leif is moderating the meeting
</font></p><p><font size="2">Shaun-Simon -- first time at any hackerspace
</font></p><p><font size="2">Michael -- Applied Anthropologist hanging out to SPY ON THE PRIMATES, overwhelmed by the amount of activity going on
</font></p><p><font size="2">Mike -- a technowanderer
</font></p><p><font size="2">Jesse -- I&#39;m a just into technology, projects apparently working on an arcade table to play classic arcade games
</font></p><p><font size="2">Elliot -- first time, 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Drew -- just turned up this week, developer working on some UNDOUBTEDLY COOL projects
</font></p><p><font size="2">Danny -- I am taking notes
</font></p><p><font size="2">Wish -- Wish fulfilling tree is what it&#39;s short for. It&#39;s like 
bazillions of years ago, I was applied math/arch/engineering into 
classical Indian music, yoga, mathematical kind of science of 
consciousness raising with combined with the Gods and Maestros of India.
 Running for Mayor. Kind of hard word what with the MAN. Dad was an 
innovative open heart surgeon, and eccentric hacking part of my 
background.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Jorgen -- involved with Tastebridge, not running for mayor.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Evan -- been coming here for the last six months, generally been doing web dev.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Michel - I come from Paris, first time here. Hi!
</font></p><p><font size="2">Carl -- and I&#39;m watching people mispelling my name.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rob -- community plumber. Into web dev and STUFF.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Duncan -- is a friend to all
</font></p><p><font size="2">Leanne - jut want to learn how to cook, and hack, etc.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Alex -- herds electrons 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Snail -- professional cat herder
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rubin -- I like to keep it
</font></p><p><font size="2"><br></font>
</p>
<ul><li> <font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Consensus_Process" title="Consensus Process">A brief primer on consensus process</a>: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
</font></li></ul>
<font size="2"><a name="Short_Announcements" id="Short_Announcements"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=3" title="Edit section: Short Announcements">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Short Announcements </span></font></h3>

<p><font size="2">Cool new projects? Something you&#39;d like people to know? Say now, but keep it short!
</font></p><p><font size="2"><br></font>
</p>
<font size="2"><a name="New_or_Stale_Events" id="New_or_Stale_Events"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=4" title="Edit section: New or Stale Events">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> New or Stale Events </span></font></h3>

<p><font size="2">Is there anything new happening at the space?
</font></p><p><font size="2">Is there anything that has stopped happening at the space?
</font></p><p><font size="2">Anyone interested in restarting the Ruby group?
</font></p><p><font size="2">It was more of a class thing, every Tuesday at 6pm and Robert was
 holding it, and he relocated to the downtown library, due to the crowds
 on Tuesday. Like to reboot it locally here. Maybe better more as a 
working group rather than a class, because everyone here has their own 
little projects. 
</font></p><p><font size="2">According to Steve Dee, hopefully we start a preliminary meeting 
of deep hack, spelunking for the 21st century. A great need to 
rediscover what&#39;s under your fingertips. Understand what underlies all 
the technology we use. Project will be to see what&#39;s going on in a 
computer memory, using qemu to examine and modify its memory while it&#39;s 
running. Talk to Mike or Leif after the meeting.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Hacker Prom is going to be on October 1st. If you feel like helping, contact <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Rubin110" title="User:Rubin110">User:Rubin110</a> . We&#39;ll also have the Arse Electronika conference about technology and porn workshop the next day. The perfect prom chaser.
</font></p><p><font size="2"><a href="http://dorkbot.org/" class="external text" title="http://dorkbot.org/" rel="nofollow">Dorkbot</a>
 would like to host another event here, they weren&#39;t able to pull 
talkers together for this month. Looks like it&#39;ll be the 3rd week of 
October on Wednesday. Donations would go to us. Weeeee!
</font></p><p><font size="2">(TODO update the merging of Django class with Python class)
</font></p>
<font size="2"><a name="Financial_Report" id="Financial_Report"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=5" title="Edit section: Financial Report">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Financial Report </span></font></h3>

<p><font size="2">Funds in bank: pretty well, so legend has it.
</font></p><p><font size="2"><br></font>
</p>
<font size="2"><a name="Membership_Binder" id="Membership_Binder"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=6" title="Edit section: Membership Binder">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Membership Binder </span></font></h3>

<ul><li><font size="2"> Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Write a check on every open application.
</font></li></ul>
<ul><li><font size="2"> Anyone up for joining this week (ie have four checks by their 
name + have two sponsors) should introduce themselves then leave the 
area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime) for the rest of 
the group. The rest of the meeting should consense on whether they may 
join.
</font></li></ul>
<p><font size="2"><br>
Jorgen was consensed on 2011-09-13 and is now a member!
Alex Paul was consensed on 2011-09-13 and is now a member!
</font></p>
<font size="2"><a name="Consensus_items" id="Consensus_items"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=7" title="Edit section: Consensus items">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Consensus items </span></font></h3>

<p><font size="2">Notification of the forthcoming consensus item, proposed by Jake:
</font></p><p><font size="2">To bar Jay from entering the space and participating in the community. 
</font></p><p><font size="2"><i>(See <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items" title="Current Consensus Items">Current Consensus Items</a> page.)</i></font>
</p><p><font size="2">Rubin felt that it would be appropriate not to kick him while 
he&#39;s down. The problem may already have solved itself, so we shouldn&#39;t 
pre-emptively make a rule.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Wish says I just saw him as just as a huge potential problem 
because he has some serious emotional issues, and tends to drag people 
down. It stopped the whole process of Noisebridge. It seems unlikely 
that he would be re-cuperated after a month.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rubin says he agrees, but we shouldn&#39;t do it until after a month. Right now, we
don&#39;t have an issue.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Leif feels like talking to him would be the right thing to do.
</font></p><p><font size="2">The consensus is that the consensus be postponed.
</font></p><p><font size="2">It seems like the best moment to put this process through would 
be after the suspension, otherwise consensus may be difficult to 
achieve. (AKA RUBIN BLOCKS)
</font></p><p><font size="2">---
</font></p><p><font size="2">Getting more t-shirts. $1500 approx is allotted. Request for red 
shirts for trek victims, also women&#39;s sizes. Also wearable bikesheds and
 embroided ... I don&#39;t know, Swiss national dress? 
</font></p><p><font size="2">(TODO put that in the LOG)
</font></p><p><font size="2">&quot;Shall Noisebridge order and pay $1500 for t-shirts.&quot;
</font></p><p><font size="2">---
</font></p><p><font size="2">&quot;Noisebridge shall pay the funds up to $700 measuring device, after a collection has been made.&quot;
</font></p>
<font size="2"><a name="Discussion_Items" id="Discussion_Items"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=8" title="Edit section: Discussion Items">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> Discussion Items </span></font></h3>

<p><font size="2">Ben K would like to talk about lighting.
</font></p><p><font size="2">I&#39;ve heard rumors, made measurements, COLLECTED FACTS, while we 
have the lights turned on, we are drawing 2.5KW per hour. That&#39;s pprox 
1/3rd of our power bill, costs hundreds of dollars a month (our last 
bill was c. $833). Also burned out lights that are drawing power.
</font></p><p><font size="2">We don&#39;t know what is using all the energy. So phase 1 of Operation DESTRUCTO-ENERGY is
</font></p>
<ul><li><font size="2"> Measuring. Put one measurement device on one of our feeds, 
already. Ben would like to spend NB money on a second device that works 
on the second feed. $700 will meter the whole place.
</font></li></ul>
<ul><li><font size="2"> Once we have metering, the SF dept of environment who will come
 out, and audit what we are using for electricity with the hope that 
they can get us funding from PG&amp;E to improve the situation. They 
have explicitly are NOT part of building inspection, they  want to 
reduce our energy usage only. We have moderately inefficient lighting, 
but it can be significantly improved for a sum of money -- we have no 
idea of the costs. But that&#39;s the point of the inspection. They write 
down what we have, so that they can prove we aren&#39;t lying when we ask 
for the money from PG&amp;E. We have a whole pile of spares and a whole 
pile of dead lights, which Jim and Ben will be fixing together before 
the inspector comes in next week or so (appointment has not yet been 
scheduled).
</font></li></ul>
<p><font size="2">Wish asked about solar panels. Ben says we would need more money than
 we have -- it would take 10-15 years to recoup the costs. We could drop
 our powerbill by a third.
</font></p><p><font size="2">We are taking 900Watts on the front panel, and no idea what it is.
</font></p><p><font size="2">We have one two-phase panel, and we have a standard three-phase commercial
panel, one to the kitchen, one to the shop. And then a third one that Rubin
just spotted.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rubin explains how the two sweatshops were divided, so the electrics are a
mess, and that&#39;s why we get two measurements.
</font></p><p><font size="2">It was agreed to fund-raise for the $700, and for a consensus item to be placed next week to draw the remainder from NB funds.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Danny would like to talk about what happened with Rob 2.0&#39;s rack, and do-but-notify
</font></p><p><font size="2">Pass the donation box for a second projector (for Church)
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rubin says:
When we did the revamp of the infrastructure, when the rack was set up, it was
a rat&#39;s nest, with cables hanging out. I thought it was a danger. When I
unplugged it, our internet stopped working. Some people thought that there was
a MITM attack.  Actually it turned out to be the closet, so we fixed that.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Last night, we were whittled down a lot of servers. When we first started NB,
we stated that we didn&#39;t want the place turning into a hosting facility. People
put in machines, they don&#39;t tell anyone, noone leave any notes. It&#39;s a pain.
Noisebridge money goes into paying for the power and the internet.
</font></p><p><font size="2">The rack in question was barely holding together, nothing was powering on, there was a melted
laptop. So I decided to move it out to the sidetalk.  It didn&#39;t seem to be
doing anything useful, and was in the way of the fire escape. And in the spirit of noisebridge, I felt I was hacking
the space, by removing the rack.
</font></p><p><font size="2">There was a 2U which was missing everything but its motherboard, 
but wasn&#39;t
really assembled together. There was four powerstrips and ethernet tied 
to the machine; both were dangerously looped over the rest of the sapce.
 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Jorgen said when Rob came in he asked about his servers. Rubin said
that they really didn&#39;t seem working like servers. 
</font></p><p><font size="2">We re-iterated the rule that everything
that is deposited in the space is a donation, and membership shelves have no
guarantee. 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Duncan points out having a name and number on an item *can* help stop it from
being re-purposed.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Mike talked about how Rob had messed with public resources, like the computer
he used. A lot of the pictures of the build out were deleted, and Linux
installed. He destroyed three really good scooters.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Mike screamed at him last night because he depended on that computer.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rob 1.0 had to rush , but can relate to some of Rob&#39;s behaviours, because I&#39;m a
minor version of him. But I think are some good underlying qualities, and he
has potential to be more valuable asset as a lot of people do. Despite all of
the negativity, I think there is their potential. 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rachel Hospodar said she was there last night to meet Rob 2.0 -- 
the people were Rachel, Mitch, Miloh, Jake, Leila, Mike. He seemed like 
he
wanted to be here, but he had a hard time accepting that he had to 
change. It&#39;s
not clear which way he has to go.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Winn: here is another sort of really faulty psychological person. He&#39;s had a
hard life. He can win you over. He can be
disruptive. Everyplace I go, I can tell where he&#39;s been.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rubin felt it was inappropriate to talk about Rob 2.0 without him being here to defend himself.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Danny felt that a warning was more appropriate than throwing things out.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rachel Hospodar says that throwing stuff out like this without warning, is an
asshole move.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Evan says we have a reasonable expectation that the rack was not being used,
and ignored for a good period of time, and yes, it should be thrown out. A post
to the main mailing list about that, though, would be useful. 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Last night at 3AM, Rachel says we had a giant argument with Rob 2.0. We tried to
convince him not to be an asshole. And then Rob&#39;s response was to explain the
reasoning behind that behaviour. I don&#39;t care the reason behind it, I just care that he was an asshole, says Rachel, and now I
feel I&#39;m having the same experience with you, Rubin.
</font></p><p><font size="2">It was harder to pursuade him to change his behaviour, because we had to explain why Rubin is an asshole too, and why
that&#39;s sometimes okay. 
</font></p><p><font size="2">Someone says they hate Rubin. Someone says they love Rubin.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Wish was a newcomer, and was made to feel not welcome, and then left, and then
came back. There have been territorial games, where if I fell asleep, people
say they were going to put stuff out on the street. You can take it a step
further with bullshit. It can go with people who have been longer, and play it
as a negative aspect. You dont&#39; want a whole lot of game-playing. Being
excellent isn&#39;t quoting being excellent. Let&#39;s just try to be excellent. We
shouldn&#39;t have insider intrigues.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Duncan can see both sides of it. Rachel made a good summation: one thing I will
point out, a discussion with Danny, when I first got here, I was rather feral.
The music went up, and I thought it was an excellent thing to pull the wire
out, and I sort of modelled that on behaviour that I&#39;d seen in the space. One thing to do:
it might be mindful, with a broad spectrum of backgrounds, our behaviour will
be modelled. It might be one thing to throw away a rack. Someone might do the
same with a makerbot. While there&#39;s no hard and fast boundary, giving some
error or doubt would be useful.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Someone notes that Rob 2.0 did leave the space voluntarily. He should get credit for that.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Jorgen believes he may have ADD. He&#39;ll take the scooter, and be five minutes in
the workshop, he&#39;ll take out eight screws, and then he&#39;ll wander off onto the
computer. The thing that bothered me was the constant usage of community
computers.
</font></p><p><font size="2">One of the problems with Rob, is that he was sleeping here. Kayla says she has keys for a place for him to sleep.
</font></p><p><font size="2">If you see Rob taking things apart, ask him if he is going to put things back together.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Duncan says part of the issue is that he&#39;s got a rough history as a blackhat.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Rubin: nothing wrong with being a blackhat.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Duncan: but I think he wants to change, and all of this didn&#39;t help.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Someone: As a fellow person with ADHD, part of it is you don&#39;t 
consider the consequences
of your actions. Executive functions aren&#39;t the greatest. You just have 
to form habits by restructuring things. Pretty much I think the best 
solution just to reiterate to Rob, to not do certain things, if you see 
him doing them.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Jorgen says he responds well with a good sense of humor.
</font></p><p><font size="2">Everyone agreed Jorgen is a good point person to have as the contact person.
</font></p><p><font size="2">We agreed to let Rob 2.0 help himself to the racks in the back classroom.
</font></p>
<font size="2"><a name="End_of_Meeting" id="End_of_Meeting"></a></font><h3><font size="2"><span class="editsection">[<a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_2011_09_13&amp;action=edit&amp;section=9" title="Edit section: End of Meeting">edit</a>]</span> <span class="mw-headline"> End of Meeting </span></font></h3>

<ul><li> <font size="2"><a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/PGP" title="PGP">PGP Key Signing</a> could happen now, check the <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/PGP" title="PGP">list</a> to see who wants in on the action.
</font></li><li><font size="2"> Put back the membership binder in the black desk.
</font></li><li><font size="2"> Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
</font></li><li><font size="2"> Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
</font></li><li><font size="2"> Copy the <a href="https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_Template" title="Meeting Notes Template">Meeting Notes Template</a> for next week&#39;s agenda and update the main wiki page&#39;s link to it.
</font></li><li><font size="2"> Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.
</font></li></ul><font size="2"><br></font></div></div></div></div>