[Rack] Monkeybrains link seems to be dead.

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Tue Jun 22 14:38:00 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 07:50:48PM -0700, Rubin Abdi wrote:
>> Andy Isaacson wrote, On 20100621 185830:
>> > The MB wireless link is up.  It was apparently a config change at their
>> > end.
>> Should we change back the DHCP config to go over the mb link?
> Can we configure a smokeping on our end -- one each for MB and sonic --
> so that we have data about when stuff is up and when stuff is down?

I just did and found out that the NAT configuration on gorilla doesn't
work for packets destined to  I'll investigate when
I'm there later tonight.  Also, the routing configuration on the
monitoring box is necessarily somewhat fragile due to the lack of a
traditional aggregation layer in the network design.  If no one
objects, I'll investigate implementing one although I doubt I'll be
able to finish the job tonight without additional help.  We have
enough ports on the soekris devices to implement carp or something and
have an active-active failover configuration instead of the manual
switchover that's currently required.

> IIRC the MB link is quite a bit fatter than the sonic link, and the
> sonic link has other stuff going over it, so moving the wifi NAT over to
> MB should balance our bandwidth usage better.  But I'd be more
> comfortable making a decision one way or another if we had more data.

Nothing seems to have changed since I measured it shortly after
install; it's about 11-16Mbit down and 256Kbps up:

down: 5242880 bytes (5.2 MB) copied, 35.2044 seconds, 149 kB/s
up: 1.99MB 0:01:27 [24.2kB/s]