[Rack] New AP network?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Oct 11 14:54:46 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 2011-10-11 14:39:
>> These are pretty neat, though the management software is really only
>> useful for pushing configurations around.
> I'm with Jof. I think their hardware is nice and worth us throwing some
> money into it, but I could care less on the management stuff considering
> how small our space is.
> I would really like to see their dual radio stuff and how all that
> works. I'm hoping they've figured out some magic for a single SSID for
> both radios with priority to 5gHz when it's available.

I'm not sure if this is possible to guarantee, as the BSSID and
channel that a client directs an association request to is based on
the beacons it hears.
Hopefully though, client {hard,firm,soft}ware prefers 5 Ghz over 2.4.

> In the mean time I I'm thinking of replacing the 802.11a Powerstation
> with a Nanostation Loco M5 running 802.11n at 5gHz. Just don't know
> where to put it without running a new cable.

Why replace it?
I could see the powerstation being more useful on the roof than the wall.

I think that for dual-band setups, one Nanostation Loco M5 and one M2
mounted side-by-side should work well.

While we're taking APs, it would be nice to get some APs on the west
end of the building. Want to run some Ethernet some evening?