[Sewing] [Noisebridge-discuss] Serger is fixed; no reimbursement request

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Tue Dec 22 09:54:48 PST 2009

Andy has convinced me that handling this (and repairs in general) as
another example of individual or small group donations is a better
strategy, generally, than having Noisebridge the organization do it.  I
withdraw the request for reimbursement.  Besides the arguments here, he
also notes these two reasons:

* grouping together to fix a problem builds and maintains community far
better than kicking it upstairs

* grouping together decreases the tendency towards centralizing
authority (we don't have very much of this tendency but less is always

So (Roseanne Rosannadanna voice) Never Mind!

Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 05:59:16PM -0800, Rachel McConnell wrote:
>> Anyone object to NB reimbursing me $80 for serger repair?
> We haven't normally paid project costs out of our general budget, so
> this is a fairly major change, isn't it?  For example, shop repairs and
> computer repairs have generally been paid by directed donations from
> people with interest in the project at hand.
> I didn't even consider asking for a treasury reimbursement for the
> plastic I bought for the skylights -- I figure my Noisebridge budget is
> around $150 / month with $80 of that going towards dues and the other
> $70 for me to spend on infrastructure, projects, et cetera.
>> If I don't
>> hear objections within a week, I'll assume it's OK with you all.
> It's a bit unfortunate to set a default-yes deadline over the week that
> includes christmas.
> That said, I think the serger is great and I'll pitch in $10 towards the
> repair costs.

PS. Andy did kick in $10.