noises: midi recording?

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 23:01:21 UTC 2013

On 6/20/2013 9:27 AM, James Sundquist wrote:
> Did anyone record the midi workshop for those of us who could not
> attend?  I'd love to watch a recording.

i video'd a bunch. I'm working on posting it for download.

We discussed three ways to integrate arduino with midi, on a computer.

  * hiduino http://dgraph.wikispaces.com/HIDUINO
  * a bit of proprietary code that Moldover has
  * Hairless http://projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/

We configured Hairless on a mac to work with an arduino, and set up a
simple, working switch on the arduino, to send midi messages to
Merlin's mac. Great job, Merlin!

To me, these methods make sense if you're controlling midi software.
But, if you want to control midi devices directly from physical
controllers, there are probably other ways of doing that which do not
require a computer.

Anyone is welcome to hack with the midi controllers donated by Livid.
There are soft buttons, controller boards, lots of nice sliders, etc--
you do not have to use them with midi, but please use this stuff for
noise/music hacking. It's in a big cardboard box, under a table near the
laser cutter.

--

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!