[Space] Inert gasses

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:45:50 PST 2010

I talked to airgas and praxair.  They each like to have an account.  They
also have different sized tanks for the nitrogen.

Airgas was $41.03 for N2 and $43 for CO2.  Their tank rental was $0.85/day.

Praxair was $40 for N2 and $35 for CO2.  Their tank rental was $0.12/day.

We will also need to buy a regulator, as these guys don't rent them at all.
I inquired about the low end regulators:
Airgas starts around $130-140
Praxair starts around $90.

Both places said you needed to set up an account with them because tank
rental is done monthly.  Praxair was clearly the better deal so I asked them
about terms.  They said that if we absolutely needed to have the stuff today
then they could work it out with a $250 credit card deposit refundable when
the tanks are returned.  Tanks would have to be returned Monday morning.

1) Is it worth the $35-$40 to go for the fill test this weekend?
2) We're ready to buy a regulator?  This would be what we would want to use
for the helium as well, but not flammable gases like propane, as it won't be
reverse threaded.

Getting to the bottom of the hill is convenient. The view from the top of
the hill is stunning. Where would you choose to live?