[Space] Space Digest, Vol 25, Issue 6

Curtis Owens owens_curtis at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 29 22:31:37 PST 2012


Hello Steve, I am Curtis.

I was told about your group from a friend of mine, Cameron Lee Norton Jeffries, who went out to one of your launches a year ago.  The group and interest sound fantastic.  I graduated from the University of California at Davis with a BS in mechanical and aeronautical engineering.  I also took a few extra courses on aerospace engineering that involved theory in rocket propulsion, orbital mechanics, orbital systems design.  I can pretty much teach anyone anything I learned in the courses.  I live in Woodland, but can come and help on anything.  Currently unemployed, so I can help where needed.  Just looking to get involved in something interesting and meet some more cool people on a crazy cool project.     

Id love to shoot for the moon! Lets Do this.... Well I'd love to join you people and help design our way to the moon.  
In the aerospace capstone course, my group designed the first itteration of a mars sample return mission.  

Any information on how this group will work, and when and where the next meeting is I will try to make it.  

Thanks,
Curtis Owens

> From: space-request at lists.noisebridge.net
> Subject: Space Digest, Vol 25, Issue 6
> To: space at lists.noisebridge.net
> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:22:25 -0800
> 
> Send Space mailing list submissions to
> 	space at lists.noisebridge.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	space-request at lists.noisebridge.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	space-owner at lists.noisebridge.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Space digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Anyone interested in flying to the moon? (James Mulroy)
>    2. Re: Anyone interested in flying to the moon? (Steve Berl)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:57:19 -0800
> From: James Mulroy <james.d.mulroy at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Space] Anyone interested in flying to the moon?
> To: Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com>
> Cc: "space at lists.noisebridge.net" <space at lists.noisebridge.net>
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAC+6smbG=_1fVSwU8M0ca0oy+jxK+s=okaX8HdjS4nRNmjD4pA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> Hey Steve, I'm James.
> 
> I'm a bit late on the response, but I'd like to see what you've got.
> 
> I'm a machinist student and a mechanical engineering student with
> experience in composite materials.  I just had "Undergraduate Student
> Experiences with Composite Materials" accepted to the?International
> Journal?of Mechanical Engineering Education, which is currently in
> press.  I was also acknowledged in "Effect of Surface Roughness on the
> Oxidation Behavior of the Ni-Base Superalloy ME3" in the Journal of
> Materials Engineering Performance.  yadda yadda, and more.  *brag brag
> brag*
> 
> So if you need a materials guy...
> 
> Let me know when the next meeting is and I'll see if I can make it!  I
> like weekends.
> 
> Thanks,
> James
> 
> 
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've gotten a great response from my post to this list about Team Phoenicia and the GLXP effort.
> >
> > I know I suggested that we meet at Noisebridge on Tuesday, but it seems that I won't be able to make it for at least the next 2 weeks. Maybe when I come back from my trip. That would be the evening of March 3.
> >
> > In the meantime, I'd like to point folks to a few web resources related to our team:
> >
> > http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/ is info about the prize, rules, news, etc.
> >
> > http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/teams/team-phoenicia is Team Phoenicia's page on the GLXP site. You can check out our blog, videos, etc.
> >
> > There's also a youtube channel at?http://www.youtube.com/teamphoenicia
> >
> > There's?http://teamphoenicia.org/, which doesn't have a ton of content on it, and?http://teamphoenicia.blogspot.com/ which is another blog, that is mostly pictures.
> >
> > If you look at these links, you will also see that we also have need for one or more people with good PR skills, who can help bring some life to our web presence ;-)
> >
> > -steve
> >
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Jon Britton <jonbritton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I could make time at 7:30 tomorrow, too.
> >>
> >> My coworker Cameron, who is a far more competent developer than his
> >> self-advocacy suggests, is also interested in talking more about the
> >> project tomorrow night if you're free.
> >>
> >> Alternately, I'm presenting some robots I've made at Nightlife at the
> >> California Academy of Sciences this Thursday, if anyone's up for
> >> coming to the Sunset. ?(Though, I'd need some lead time to sneak folks
> >> in.)
> >>
> >>
> >> ?Jon
> >>
> >> --
> >> e^x was at a party and wasn't having any fun. The others came up to
> >> him and said he should integrate more, to which he responded "Oh it
> >> wouldn't make any difference."
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Carol Sanders <carolsand at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > I'm available this Tuesday at 19:30.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > On Friday, February 17, 2012, Steve Berl wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> I see on the Noisebridge calendar that there is a regular meeting at 19:30
> >> >> on Tuesday evenings.
> >> >> Is that currently going on? Would that be a good opportunity to meet some
> >> >> of you?
> >> >>
> >> >> -steve
> >> >>
> >> >> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Alex Paul <alex at alexpaul.net> wrote:
> >> >>>
> >> >>> I'd love to get involved. I've got background in programming,
> >> >>> specifically C and more recently map-reduce and data visualization.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> I have the same question: where or how should I start?
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Thanks, this sounds awesome,
> >> >>> [ap]
> >> >>>
> >> >>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Carol Sanders <carolsand at gmail.com>
> >> >>> wrote:
> >> >>> > I'm interested. I usd to setup communications systems in the military
> >> >>> > and am
> >> >>> > interested in any radio projects. I would also lime to gain more
> >> >>> > experience
> >> >>> > programming.
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > Where or how should I start?
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > Thanks
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > On Thursday, February 16, 2012, Steve Berl wrote:
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> Hi,
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> I'm part of Team Phoenicia, one of the teams currently participating
> >> >>> >> in
> >> >>> >> the Google Lunar X Prize competition. We are trying to grow our team a
> >> >>> >> bit,
> >> >>> >> and I'm wondering if anyone on this list would be interested.
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> We are mostly located in the SF bay area, and a lot of the hardware
> >> >>> >> happens down in Menlo Park, but depending on what you might be
> >> >>> >> interested in
> >> >>> >> geography might not matter.
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> We need people with all sorts of skills. In particular we need someone
> >> >>> >> with interest in radio and radar, and maybe lasers. Also mechanical
> >> >>> >> designer. We have a few software people, but we could definitely use
> >> >>> >> some
> >> >>> >> more help, so experience in real time embedded systems would be great.
> >> >>> >> But
> >> >>> >> we also need to develop ground station software with graphical
> >> >>> >> interfaces,
> >> >>> >> and data processing applications.
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> So there is a ton of work to do and problems to solve. Tell me what
> >> >>> >> you
> >> >>> >> are interested in, and I bet we can find something for you to work on.
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> And this is not a "job". Nobody on the team is getting paid for their
> >> >>> >> work. We are all doing it for the fun, and most have day jobs. There
> >> >>> >> is
> >> >>> >> potential that a business may come out of this work in the future, but
> >> >>> >> for
> >> >>> >> now we are just a bunch of hardware and software hackers trying to
> >> >>> >> build
> >> >>> >> some really cool machines.
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> What do you think?
> >> >>> >>
> >> >>> >> -steve
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > --
> >> >>> > Carol A. Sanders
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > carolsand at gmail.com
> >> >>> > Software QA Engineer/Network Engineer
> >> >>> > Student-Scientist
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > "Escape the Boundaries of Your Mentality"
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > _______________________________________________
> >> >>> > Space mailing list
> >> >>> > Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> >> >>> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> >> >>> >
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>>
> >> >>> --
> >> >>> Alex Paul
> >> >>> alex at alexpaul.net
> >> >>> M (24/7): 415.235.2111
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > Carol A. Sanders
> >> >
> >> > carolsand at gmail.com
> >> > Software QA Engineer/Network Engineer
> >> > Student-Scientist
> >> >
> >> > "Escape the Boundaries of Your Mentality"
> >> >
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > Space mailing list
> >> > Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> >> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> >> >
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Space mailing list
> > Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> >
> 
> 
> 
> --
> James Mulroy
> Student Researcher
> PCWorld Contributor
> james.d.mulroy at gmail.com
> 510.269.3437
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:22:22 -0800
> From: Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Space] Anyone interested in flying to the moon?
> To: James Mulroy <james.d.mulroy at gmail.com>
> Cc: "space at lists.noisebridge.net" <space at lists.noisebridge.net>
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAB4gGndrzLtj_2Un6WpsLbFGf8LEgiczoDSS77GfBawSfBr8+A at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Not too late, and composites are definitely part of the Team Phoenicia
> design.
> 
> I will be a away for the next week, but when I come back in March I plan to
> start talking to the many people who have responded to these emails, and
> get things rolling.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> -steve
> 
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM, James Mulroy <james.d.mulroy at gmail.com>wrote:
> 
> > Hey Steve, I'm James.
> >
> > I'm a bit late on the response, but I'd like to see what you've got.
> >
> > I'm a machinist student and a mechanical engineering student with
> > experience in composite materials.  I just had "Undergraduate Student
> > Experiences with Composite Materials" accepted to the International
> > Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, which is currently in
> > press.  I was also acknowledged in "Effect of Surface Roughness on the
> > Oxidation Behavior of the Ni-Base Superalloy ME3" in the Journal of
> > Materials Engineering Performance.  yadda yadda, and more.  *brag brag
> > brag*
> >
> > So if you need a materials guy...
> >
> > Let me know when the next meeting is and I'll see if I can make it!  I
> > like weekends.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've gotten a great response from my post to this list about Team
> > Phoenicia and the GLXP effort.
> > >
> > > I know I suggested that we meet at Noisebridge on Tuesday, but it seems
> > that I won't be able to make it for at least the next 2 weeks. Maybe when I
> > come back from my trip. That would be the evening of March 3.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, I'd like to point folks to a few web resources related
> > to our team:
> > >
> > > http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/ is info about the prize, rules, news,
> > etc.
> > >
> > > http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/teams/team-phoenicia is Team
> > Phoenicia's page on the GLXP site. You can check out our blog, videos, etc.
> > >
> > > There's also a youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/teamphoenicia
> > >
> > > There's http://teamphoenicia.org/, which doesn't have a ton of content
> > on it, and http://teamphoenicia.blogspot.com/ which is another blog, that
> > is mostly pictures.
> > >
> > > If you look at these links, you will also see that we also have need for
> > one or more people with good PR skills, who can help bring some life to our
> > web presence ;-)
> > >
> > > -steve
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Jon Britton <jonbritton at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >>
> > >> I could make time at 7:30 tomorrow, too.
> > >>
> > >> My coworker Cameron, who is a far more competent developer than his
> > >> self-advocacy suggests, is also interested in talking more about the
> > >> project tomorrow night if you're free.
> > >>
> > >> Alternately, I'm presenting some robots I've made at Nightlife at the
> > >> California Academy of Sciences this Thursday, if anyone's up for
> > >> coming to the Sunset.  (Though, I'd need some lead time to sneak folks
> > >> in.)
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>  Jon
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> e^x was at a party and wasn't having any fun. The others came up to
> > >> him and said he should integrate more, to which he responded "Oh it
> > >> wouldn't make any difference."
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Carol Sanders <carolsand at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >> > I'm available this Tuesday at 19:30.
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > On Friday, February 17, 2012, Steve Berl wrote:
> > >> >>
> > >> >> I see on the Noisebridge calendar that there is a regular meeting at
> > 19:30
> > >> >> on Tuesday evenings.
> > >> >> Is that currently going on? Would that be a good opportunity to meet
> > some
> > >> >> of you?
> > >> >>
> > >> >> -steve
> > >> >>
> > >> >> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Alex Paul <alex at alexpaul.net>
> > wrote:
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>> I'd love to get involved. I've got background in programming,
> > >> >>> specifically C and more recently map-reduce and data visualization.
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>> I have the same question: where or how should I start?
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>> Thanks, this sounds awesome,
> > >> >>> [ap]
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Carol Sanders <
> > carolsand at gmail.com>
> > >> >>> wrote:
> > >> >>> > I'm interested. I usd to setup communications systems in the
> > military
> > >> >>> > and am
> > >> >>> > interested in any radio projects. I would also lime to gain more
> > >> >>> > experience
> > >> >>> > programming.
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > Where or how should I start?
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > Thanks
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > On Thursday, February 16, 2012, Steve Berl wrote:
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> Hi,
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> I'm part of Team Phoenicia, one of the teams currently
> > participating
> > >> >>> >> in
> > >> >>> >> the Google Lunar X Prize competition. We are trying to grow our
> > team a
> > >> >>> >> bit,
> > >> >>> >> and I'm wondering if anyone on this list would be interested.
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> We are mostly located in the SF bay area, and a lot of the
> > hardware
> > >> >>> >> happens down in Menlo Park, but depending on what you might be
> > >> >>> >> interested in
> > >> >>> >> geography might not matter.
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> We need people with all sorts of skills. In particular we need
> > someone
> > >> >>> >> with interest in radio and radar, and maybe lasers. Also
> > mechanical
> > >> >>> >> designer. We have a few software people, but we could definitely
> > use
> > >> >>> >> some
> > >> >>> >> more help, so experience in real time embedded systems would be
> > great.
> > >> >>> >> But
> > >> >>> >> we also need to develop ground station software with graphical
> > >> >>> >> interfaces,
> > >> >>> >> and data processing applications.
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> So there is a ton of work to do and problems to solve. Tell me
> > what
> > >> >>> >> you
> > >> >>> >> are interested in, and I bet we can find something for you to
> > work on.
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> And this is not a "job". Nobody on the team is getting paid for
> > their
> > >> >>> >> work. We are all doing it for the fun, and most have day jobs.
> > There
> > >> >>> >> is
> > >> >>> >> potential that a business may come out of this work in the
> > future, but
> > >> >>> >> for
> > >> >>> >> now we are just a bunch of hardware and software hackers trying
> > to
> > >> >>> >> build
> > >> >>> >> some really cool machines.
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> What do you think?
> > >> >>> >>
> > >> >>> >> -steve
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > --
> > >> >>> > Carol A. Sanders
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > carolsand at gmail.com
> > >> >>> > Software QA Engineer/Network Engineer
> > >> >>> > Student-Scientist
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > "Escape the Boundaries of Your Mentality"
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>> > _______________________________________________
> > >> >>> > Space mailing list
> > >> >>> > Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> > >> >>> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> > >> >>> >
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>>
> > >> >>> --
> > >> >>> Alex Paul
> > >> >>> alex at alexpaul.net
> > >> >>> M (24/7): 415.235.2111
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > --
> > >> > Carol A. Sanders
> > >> >
> > >> > carolsand at gmail.com
> > >> > Software QA Engineer/Network Engineer
> > >> > Student-Scientist
> > >> >
> > >> > "Escape the Boundaries of Your Mentality"
> > >> >
> > >> > _______________________________________________
> > >> > Space mailing list
> > >> > Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> > >> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> > >> >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Space mailing list
> > > Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> > > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > James Mulroy
> > Student Researcher
> > PCWorld Contributor
> > james.d.mulroy at gmail.com
> > 510.269.3437
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/space/attachments/20120224/1ead964f/attachment.htm 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Space mailing list
> Space at lists.noisebridge.net
> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/space
> 
> 
> End of Space Digest, Vol 25, Issue 6
> ************************************
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/space/attachments/20120229/74014df0/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Space mailing list