|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Guilds | Meta | Code | Electronics | Fabrication | Games | Sewing | Music | AI | Neuro | Philosophy | Funding | Art | Security | Ham | Brew | (Edit)|
|Fabrication | Sewing | 3D Printing | Wood Shop | Metal Shop | SparkleForge | Laser Cutter | Vinyl Cutter | (Edit)|
|Wood Shop | Table Saw | Miter Saw | Band Saw | Bench grinder | Disk sander | Wen drill press | Lathe | Roland CNC Mill | Air compressor | Hand tools | Hacksaws | Drill | Heat gun | Laminator | Parts | Edit|
What it's used for
The bandsaw is used for making curved cuts. It is faster and more stable than a jigsaw.
A woodshop safety class is available. Check Meetup for the next date.
- Adjust the blade guide.
- Keep in mind that the teeth of the blade are splayed out and cut a kerf wider than the blade itself.
- Keep your fingers at a safe distance from the blade and any other moving parts. Don't reach close to the blade to pick up offcuts.
- Wear safety glasses and hearing protection. Both are available.
- Don't use excessive force.
- Never wear loose clothing that might get caught in the blades or other moving parts when using power tools.
How to use it
Only trained users should use this tool. This section serves as a checklist and not as a replacement for training.
- Plan your cut. Set the bed to the right angle, make sure you have enough space all around the saw to complete your cut. Pay attention in particular to the space between the saw and the frame of the band saw.
- Turn on the saw by flicking the switch
- Make your cut. Pay attention to the sound it makes. Stop if you hear rattling or if the saw is bogging down.
- Clean up all the sawdust and offcuts you just produced. Vacuum the motor area.
Blades have 3 descriptive dimensions and a blade material, length, width, and TPI or teeth-per-inch. Different blade materials enhance cutting at different speeds and extend the life of the blades. Use a blade with TPI, width,and blade material that are appropriate for your cutting material.
If you broke a blade, replace it by counting the TPI and width and purchasing a replacement according to the specs. Cost: less than $11.00. If you have a car, drive to the Sears in Colma and buy the blade 6-pack; that is the most economical option. Lowes and Discount Builders don't sell the right sized blade.
- There are metal blades and wood blades for this saw.
- The saw is currently equipped with a wood blade.
- Do not try to cut metal with this blade.