Board meeting 2009-10-15
|Note: This page is about an event that has already happened.||It took place on 2009-10-15.|
Mitch Altman, Rachel McConnell, Andy Isaacson, and Shannon Lee were present at 2169; David Molnar and Jacob Appelbaum called in by phone.
1. Mitch moved that Jeffrey Malone be appointed treasurer. All were in favor.
2. We discussed the member tracking problem. The treasurer and secretary cooperate to maintain a member list, and the list can get out of date. No action was taken, but the treasurer and secretary agreed to continue to cooperate.
3. We discussed if Noisebridge has or needs a member removal process (it does). No action was taken.
4. Andy moved that Seth Schoen be appointed secretary, subject to two conditions:
- that Seth agree to be secretary
- that the membership formally consense on Seth as secretary
The motion was carried with no opposition.
5. We discussed Shannon Lee as new board member, replacing Noah Balmer. Rachel is continuing the process of achieving unanimous consent from the membership; until that happens, Shannon is not formally appointed.
6. We recognized Noah Balmer's resignation as board member (this being our first board meeting since his resignation in the spring).
7. We discussed overall governance proposals, including
- making the board much larger (most or all members)
- forming an "advisory board" of interested members to provide a forum for governance issues to offload them from the Tuesday meetings
- modifying the consensus process (but how?)
- establishing a standing committee to provide a place to refer governance business to from the Tuesday meetings
None of these require board action -- a membership consensus would be necessary in any case, and is entirely sufficient (except for changing the size of the Board of Directors, which could go up to 11 with a board resolution or higher with a change to the bylaws.) The board took no action.
8. Voting method for the board election. We need to elect a new board; we should have a non-sucky method. Andy volunteered to research and write up a proposal, which will be sent out by 2009-10-18 and will be up for discussion at the Tuesday meeting 2009-10-20.
9. All business complete, we adjourned at 7:29 so that Andy could make it to the Gogol Bordello show. The show was great.