Epson SureColor T5270D
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Resources | Where to find things | Network | AV | Audio | Library | Servers | Printers | Sustenance | Edit|
|Printers | All-in-one Inkjet Printer/Scanner/Copier | Large Format Inkjet | Edit|
This is the 36-inch-wide dual-roll large-format inkjet printer between the SparkleForge and the music production station.
Working as of 2022-04-13.
Ink for this printer is very expensive, so please do drop some cash in a nearby cash box if you print something on this printer. If you forgot to or didn't have cash, you can donate electronically.
Using this printer
The printer can be reached via USB or hard Ethernet (no Wi-Fi). BYO cable.
On USB, the printer requires a driver. It can be downloaded here: []. It may work (untested) with a generic HPGL or ESC/P driver.
On Ethernet, you can upload files to the printer and it'll print them without requiring a driver. (But you need a computer or device that speaks Ethernet, and a web browser that can talk to the printer and upload files. FTP might also work but is undocumented outside of a couple of passing mentions.)
Ethernet requires a crossover cable, or possibly a router. Connecting directly with a straight-through cable does not seem to work.
For easy printing use the computer in the print shop room. It already has the drivers installed. Select Epson SureColor T5270D
Printing a black and white document on Mac (2022):
- Plug the USB cable on the right side into your computer
- Open the file and use the print dialog.
- Select the appropriate paper size - if it's a letter size document and you want to scale it up, select "scale to fit" and then pick the appropriate width in the Paper Size field (not Letter size). The maximum width of the paper is 36" so it's probably 24" or 36".
- Open the "printer settings" dialog:
- If you're printing B&W and want to save ink (you should) - Select "Office Document (Black)"
- Make sure the "Roll Paper Width" is correct
It's unclear how to get the printer to cut the paper automatically at the end of a job. If the job appears complete and the print head just starts going back and forth without printing anything or advancing the paper, cancel the job on the printer's control panel. The printer will feed about an inch of paper and then cut, and you'll have your print.
Queue of known current or impending resupply needs
- Ink maintenance tank: This is where ink used for head cleaning goes. One tank (currently in the slot on the left) is full and the other (currently in the slot on the right) is empty. A full tank means head cleaning doesn't work reliably in the nozzles on that side.
- -1 used cartridge: We have at least one used-up cartridge that needs to find a home. Ideally this should be disposed of in a way that the remaining dregs of ink get recycled and Noisebridge gets a kickback.
- Photo black: Currently the lowest cartridge. We have a replacement on hand.
- Manual: https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41582.pdf
- Ink (Epson UltraChrome XD): https://epson.com/i/SCT5270DR
- Cutter cartridge: https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/Replacement-Printer-Cutter-Blade/p/S902006
- Ink “maintenance” (disposal) tank: https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/Replacement-Ink-Maintenance-Tank/p/T619300
* There's a cheaper version available here https://www.ebay.com/itm/192668312288 ($24.99 as of 2022)
- The printer also consumes 36-inch-wide roll paper. This comes in various weights, of which the lightest and cheapest is bond.