Gert Strand, Black Label
This is a yeast I've been wanting to try for awhile. It starts sterile, so no need for special sterilization needs to happen in the ferment tank. Also, it should decrease the amount of volatiles coming from the incorrect micro organisms. The yeast is a completely natural strain - very little has been done other than selective breeding to ensure the correct yeast comes out in the end. This particular strain has all the nutrients included to ensure anaerobic fermentation. This particular strain handles scaling well because it generates less heat on fermenting, and also less off gassing. Lastly, this strain can tolerate a pretty high alcohol content when compared to standard baker's yeast.
- Theoretical ABV: 14-17 vol%
- Optimal temperature: 20-30°C
- Killing temperature chart:
|% ABV||Kill Temp|
- Starting Specific Gravity = 1090
- Ending Specific Gravity = 984 - 987
- Dissolve 6kg sugar into 8L hot water. Stir until completely dissolved
- Top up to 25L with cold water
- Allow pot to cool to 39C or below before continuing
- Add 1 sachet (90g) turbo yeast and stir until no more yeast particles are visible. Specific Gravity should be 1090.
- Allow to ferment open at 20-30C. Targeted completion time is 2-5 days
- End Condition: Specific Gravity = 984 - 987