Hooray! We're so glad you want to visit. Noisebridge is a space that has been designed since its inception to be open to pretty much all hackers 24/7. We especially welcome those who like to tinker and hack on things, and those who are generally nice. On average, we do not want people looking for a halfway house to sleep in, using the space to store their items, coming here to indefinitely "borrow" or outright steal things, or being on the lookout for people to annoy. Read here for more Visitor advice on our culture and some suggestions on how to interface with it. Our collectivist Do-ocracy -style anarchy is often strange to people who are accustomed to more authoritarian structures, and many new visitors are initially confused on how things work or who they should talk to about things. You can get an excellent gist of cutting-edge happenings by reading the notes from our latest weekly meeting.
Noisebridge is located on the 3rd floor of 2169 Mission in the center of San Francisco's Mission District. Read up on Getting Here. There is a staircase and an accessible elevator. The elevator can be a little persnickety but it has a bell that rings up into the space for assistance if needed. Read more about Accessibility.
How Do I Get Into 2169 Mission?
If you've never been to the space before, simply press the rightmost button on the 3-button intercom to the right of the payphone. If there's someone in the space who feels like giving a tour (most of the time, except for late at night and early morning) they may buzz you in.
If you are inside Noisebridge and want to open the gate for someone outside you can look through the handy-dandy "periscope" closed-circuit camera to see who's there. If you know them, hit the "DOOR" button on the intercom pad to buzz them in. Please take responsibility for the people you let into the space!
Otherwise, here are some cunning ways to get in.
- If you've got a valid code, you can use the payphone keypad next to the gate to let yourself in.
- There's an app for your Android device which will open the gate (almost) every time.
- SSH into Pony, and run opengate, which is an excellent wrapper for the Noisbridge API command curl -X POST http://api.noisebridge.net/gate/open.
- From inside Noisbridge, go to http://pony.noise/gate OR http://172.30.0.30/gate/
The last resort, and possibly least cunning way to gain entry is to call a gate keeper. As an experiment in being as open as possible, Noisebridge has installed a lock on the upstairs door and another lock on the elevator entryway. If you have reached the inner gates, and they are locked, likely you are the only person at Noisebridge at the moment. To remedy this unfortunate side effect of response to abuse of the space, please try to contact someone with a key to let you in.
More info about doors, keys, openings, and mousetraps available here: Access_Control.
To help facilitate excellent hacking, the membership community would like you to be vouched for while you are in the space.
As a Guest
Find a Member that is physically in the space to vouch for you. When they leave, you might have to find another member to vouch for you or else you may be asked to come back another time. You might:
- ask a volunteer Noisebridge docent to introduce you to the space
- attend a Tuesday evening meeting, generally open to all visitors
- ask the teacher or coordinator of the event you're attending
- ask a friend or acquiantance of yours that's already in the space
- make a brand new friend in the space
- Go on the NB discussion mailing list or IRC chat and ask to meet a Member at the space at a specific time
As a Full Member
- Read up on becoming a Full Member