Hacker Stacker Napping Pods
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact Us | Guilds | Stuff | Events | Projects | NB14 | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | E|
|About | Vision | 272 Capp | Materials | Testimonials | Lore | Photos | Hackerspaces | 501c3 | Press | Press Kit | Zine | Help | (E)|
|Lore | Oral histories | History | Anarchy | 83c | 2169 | 272 Capp | Anniversaries | Rebase | Reboot | Humanitarian | Kitchen | Drama | Edit|
|This article seems to be really old or very much out of date, and may contain wrong info.
Wiki-tip: You can check its history to see when it was last edited.
The napping pods were a place to take naps at Noisebridge, and also a harm-reduction experiment in mitigating the sleeping at Noisebridge problem. In the ~5 months that they existed, dozens of people used them - mostly for short periods of time.
Several people were vocally opposed to them throughout their existence, and the pods were eventually destroyed by Andrew "Dru" Byrne on September 24, 2013.
- A nap is a short period of sleep, typically taken during daylight hours as an adjunct to the usual nocturnal sleep period. Naps are most often taken as a response to drowsiness during waking hours. — Nap, from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Hacker Stacker Napping Pods (HSNPs) are located near the northwest corner of the space.
They are intended to provide a place for Noisebridgers to take short occasional naps.
Also, the DreamTeam conducts sleep research in them.
The HSNPs were built amidst ongoing discussion of how to solve the problems related to sleeping at Noisebridge, and are predicated upon the following assumptions:
- Having a designated place to take naps will drastically reduce the occurrence of sleeping elsewhere in the space.
- Having a designated place to take naps will make waking people up in other locations less unpleasant, because they can be invited to continue their nap in the hacker stacker.
- People who are in fact not really just taking a short nap will be more visible and thus their misuse of Noisebridge will be more immediately obvious.
If these assumptions are invalidated, the HSNPs will be disassembled.
How much napping is too much?
If someone thinks you're overusing the HSNPs, they are probably correct.
If you think they're mistaken, you should ask other people for their opinions.
If you feel it is necessary, you can ask for other opinions at the community meeting.
Why did someone remove the blankets I hung over the side?
Translucent siding is necessary for assumption #3 to hold true.
What should I do if I notice someone overusing the napping pods?
You are empowered to ask them to stop. It may help to invite them to read this page, and the sleeping at Noisebridge page, and to ask what other people think. Thank you for helping to maintain an excellent environment at Noisebridge!
Why encourage napping?
- Napping has been found to be both physiologically and psychologically beneficial. Napping for 20 minutes can help refresh the mind, improve overall alertness, boost mood and increase productivity. Read more about the benefits of napping
Time, Date, Number of Users
07:00, 06/21/2013, 3
11:00, 06/22/2013, 2
10:00, 06/24/2013, 1