Hooray! We're so glad you want to visit. Noisebridge is a space that has been designed since its inception to be open to pretty much all hackers 24/7. We especially welcome those who like to tinker and hack on things, and those who are generally nice. On average, we do not want people looking for a halfway house to sleep in, using the space to store their items, coming here to indefinitely "borrow" or outright steal things, or being on the lookout for people to annoy. Read here for more Visitor advice on our culture and some suggestions on how to interface with it. Our collectivist Do-ocracy -style anarchy is often strange to people who are accustomed to more authoritarian structures, and many new visitors are initially confused on how things work or who they should talk to about things. You can get an excellent gist of cutting-edge happenings by reading the notes from our latest weekly meeting.
Noisebridge is located on the 3rd floor of 2169 Mission in the center of San Francisco's Mission District. Read up on Getting Here. There is a staircase and an accessible elevator. The elevator can be a little persnickety but it has a bell that rings up into the space for assistance if needed. Read more about Accessibility.
How Do I Get Into 2169 Mission?
If you've never been to the space before, press the button labeled "Doorbell". If there's a member of philanthropist in the space who feels like hosting a visitor may let you in.
Members and philanthropists may let people in by tagging their RFID token on the keypad under the out door camera monitor.
Otherwise, here are some cunning ways to get in.
- Come around regularly, become a trusted by a regular, and then politely request RFID Token access from a member.
- Become a philanthropist.
- Become a member
More info about doors, keys, openings, and mousetraps available here: Access_Control.
To help facilitate excellent hacking, the membership community would like you to be vouched for while you are in the space.
As a Guest
Find a Member that is physically in the space to vouch for you. When they leave, you might have to find another member to vouch for you or else you may be asked to come back another time. You might:
- ask a volunteer Noisebridge docent to introduce you to the space
- attend a Tuesday evening meeting, generally open to all visitors
- ask the teacher or coordinator of the event you're attending
- ask a friend or acquiantance of yours that's already in the space
- make a brand new friend in the space
- Go on the NB discussion mailing list or IRC chat and ask to meet a Member at the space at a specific time
As a Full Member
- Read up on becoming a Full Member