Library: What's the point?
There's already a public library!
Since there's a public library, we're going to focus on books that fill the needs of people using the space right now.
Anyone can access what they want over the internet almost all the time!
If electronic books are already accessible, we can focus on the people who would still prefer to use a paper copy.
A more refined goal:
The Library can serve expert and hacker-y literature to people in Noisebridge right now.
How do we get there? Quantify, Expand, Prune!
- First: Understand what books we have.
- Second: Create a process to acquire hacker-y books and expert references.
- Third: Prune our shelves a bit. Bring the average usefulness up.
 How many books do we have right now?
A book barcode scannning effort was performed in October-December 2015 using noisebridge-bookscanner. We scanned tons of books over 15-20 hours. How many? A lot.
Right now we have:
- 1784 books with ISBNs, they are organized by section
- 6 boxes of books that do not have ISBNs (mostly too old)
The library-org webapp has:
- 1449 books have been ingested into library-org using Open Library
- 335 more need additional processing (1784 less 1449)
 What can I do?
- Initiative 1: Add dewey decimal system to library
- Initiative 2: Collect sets of topic books from experts and source these books
- Initiative 3: Begin the process of flagging books to be stored in our stacks
- Initiative 4: Improve library-org
Initiative 1: Dewey Decimal!
- Label all 1449 books already in library-org with ISBNs on the spine
- Recommended to use colored labels by broad subject
- Label the shelves and sort the books into their locations
- This could be supported by the library-org app, using a checklist or something. Since you can see the spine it may not be necessary
- library-org needs a utility to allow you to manually edit an entry's dewey decimal (to add missing ones)
Initiative 2: Source New Books
- Are you really good at something or reasonably well read? Make us a list of must-have books!
- Add themed lists here: Resources/Library/Dead_Tree#Suggested Books
- You can help acquire books by sourcing books on these lists!
- Don't subtract them from the lists though, we can make a system for checking them off
Initiative 3: Flag books for the stacks
- We don't plan to get rid of books, but we do plan to take them off the shelves
- Normal libraries have 'stacks' but we have boxes. We can call our boxes 'the stacks'
- This needs accompanied with a flagging system in library-org so we know a book is in the 'stacks'
- Another thought: we should also label the boxes and say which box each book is in, inside library-org
Initiative 4: Improve library-org
- library-org is a flask app
- Current capabilities: receive new books, search books.
- Manual add form, but first we need to get our data model stable.
- Connect a fallback API. OpenLibrary only has about 80% coverage, so far.
- Report books not in Open Library, so they can get better.
 How do I add a new book to the library?
- First, add the book to the library-org app: http://library.noisebridge.net/new/
- Remember to put in the secret code and press submit!
- If the app couldn't find the book, you can send me the ISBN and proceed.
- Next, put the book in its category. Categories are written under each shelf.
 Library Organizing Application: library-org
An application exists to organize our books and submit new books by ISBN.
Go to application: http://library.noisebridge.net
The library books were last sorted in labeled during the October 2015 Noisebridge Refresh.
We could add dewey decimal tags to each book using the library application.
 Other Hackerspaces with Libraries
- Hackerbot Labs Koha?
- ACKspace List in a Wiki
- Bridgewire Dead Tree setup
- Garoa Hacker Clube Koha
 Suggested Books
People with experience and opinions about various topics can add recommendations below for books we should buy for the library.
Curated by: begriffs
|Calculus Vol 1||Apostol||978-0471000051|
|Calculus Vol 2||Apostol||978-0471000075|
|Principles of Mathematical Analysis||Rudin||978-0070856134|
|Real and Complex Analysis||Rudin||978-0070542341|
|Calculus on Manifolds||Spivak||978-0805390216|
|Counterexamples in Analysis||Gelbaum||978-0486428758|
|Linear Algebra Done Right||Axler||978-3319110790|
|Linear Algebra Problem Book||Halmos||978-0883853221|
|Counterexamples in Topology||Steen||978-0486687353|
|A Mathematical Introduction to Logic||Enderton||978-0122384523|
|Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint||Moise||978-0201508673|
|Introduction to Geometry||Coxeter||978-0471504580|
|Geometry: Euclid and Beyond||Hartshorne||978-0387986500|
|Surreal Numbers: How Two Ex-Students Turned on to Pure Mathematics and Found Total Happiness||Knuth||978-0201038125|
 "Data Science"
(observe the quotes...)
|The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable||Nassim Nicholas Taleb||Danukeru|
|Statistics Done Wrong: The Woefully Complete Guide||Alex Reinhart||Danukeru|
Curated by: Dakota
|Getting Started in Electronics||Mims III, Forrest M.||978-0945053286|
|The Art of Electronics||Horowitz, Paul||978-0521809269|
 Books of Interest - Aestetix
Curated by: aestetix
|Godel Escher Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid||Douglas R Hofstader||aestetix|
|I Am a Strange Loop||Douglas R Hofstader||Danukeru|
|The Mind's I||Daniel Dennett, Douglas R Hofstadter||Danukeru|
|The Society of Mind||Marvin Minsky||Danukeru|
|The Emotion Machine||Marvin Minsky||Danukeru|
|The Art of Computer Programming||Don Knuth||aestetix|
|Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution||Steven Levy||aestetix|
|Ender's Game||Orson Scott Card||aestetix|
|The Code Book||Simon Singh||aestetix|
|The Annotated Turing||Charles Petzold||aestetix|
|A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man||James Joyce||aestetix|
|The Magus||John Fowles||aestetix|
|The Collector||John Fowles||aestetix|
|The French Lieutenant's Woman||John Fowles||aestetix|
|The Illuminatus! Trilogy||Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson||aestetix|
|Shrodinger's Cat||Robert Anton Wilson||aestetix|
|The Fountainhead||Ayn Rand||aestetix|
|Atlas Shrugged||Ayn Rand||aestetix|
|The Hacker Crackdown||Bruce Sterling||aestetix|
|I, Robot||Isaac Asimov||aestetix|
|Snow Crash||Neal Stephenson||aestetix|
|The Gold Bug Variations||Richard Powers||aestetix|
|The Codebreakers||David Kahn||aestetix|
|Gravity's Rainbow||Thomas Pynchon||aestetix|
|Little Brother||Cory Doctorow||aestetix|
|The Martian||Andy Weir||Danukeru|
 Books of Interest - Mitch
Curated by: Mitch
|Infinite Jest||David Foster Wallace||Mitch|
|White Noise||Don DeLillo||Mitch|
|In Search of Lost Time||Marcel Proust||Mitch|
|The Sound and the Fury||William Faulkner||Mitch|
|Cat's Cradle||Kurt Vonnegut||Mitch|
|Witchcraft and the Gay Counterculture||Arthur Evans||Mitch|
|Foucault's Pendulum||Umberto Eco||Mitch|
|Quantum Psychology||Robert Anton Wilson||Mitch|
|In the Absence of the Sacred||Jerry Mander||Mitch|
|Dancer From the Dance||Andrew Holleran||Mitch|
|An Arrow's Flight||Mark Merlis||Mitch|
|To the Lighthouse||Virginia Woolf||Mitch|
|The Satanic Verses||Salman Rushdie||Mitch|
|Passage to India||E. M. Forster||Mitch|