Lockers are a shared resource at Noisebridge. In this post-scarcity economy, we’ve only got a finite number of ‘em. Please be excellent to your fellow hackers by making sure that you’re not holding an exclusive lock on any of these valuable resources!
HOW TO LOCKER AT NOISEBRIDGE
Subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put a lock on a locker
- Put a note/tag/sticker/whatever on the locker and keep it up to date with a last-modified date
- Pay attention to email@example.com
- Party. Hard.
The Garbage Collector periodically sweeps over the lockers to find any without external references. If no references are found, the contents will be free’d and returned to the heap, aka hack shelves.
HOW TO BE A GARBAGE COLLECTOR
- Announce the upcoming garbage collection pass to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait a reasonable period of time, some locker users might be out of town and need the extra time.
- Cut off the locks from all the lockers that have last-modified dates older than one month and have not been claimed in response to the announcement.
- Put the contents in the hack shelves/e-waste bins/biowaste area/whatever.
HOW TO NOT LOCKER AT NOISEBRIDGE
- Go on vacation and leave it full of food
- Cut a lock off a locker that isn’t yet stale
- Get mad when your lock is cut off after a month of inactivity