Maker Faire Build Night 2015-04-16

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search

This is part of the Noisebridge Booth for Maker Fair 2015 project

The project continues.

So this recap covers more that just the single build night. This being the case, we have a good variety of progress to show. We put more parts on the table, started the electrical wiring, and started on the flashy blinky lights!

We need more clamps, feel free to donate some ;)

We added the third side of each leg using biscuit joinery and hella clamps. These new panels are the parts of the legs that will host the outlet boxes in the legs, as shown later

Waiting 30-40 min for the glue to take hold

Here are all the third sides of the legs attached. The fourth and final side of each leg will go on once the outlets and electronics are wired up and well tested.

BlockingForOutlet.jpg

We added a small strip of plwood to the leg to act as a mount for the outlet boxes. This was installed wth pocket holes and glue and was placed so that the outlet boxes are held off a little way from the face of the table legs.

The blue is the protective plastic over the steel

The outlets will be black with stainless steel faceplates. You may notice that it will be "upside down" when the table is flipped over. This was a tip from the electrical wiring video I watched. Having the ground pin on top makes it less likely that a wire from someone's project could fall on top of a loose plug and short out the outlet.

The inlet is the black plastic device a the bottom of the frame

We could not find a proper mount for the power inlet we are using and so we had to make one out of a steel face plate.

The file removes metal surprisingly quickly
This should end well

Most everything I know about wiring has come from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEMzxV05ZA Thank you Shannon with HouseImprovements. Since this is going to be a 15amp capable table, we are using 12/2 Romex wire.

The final has a dual face plate and a switch

The 12/2 Romex is somewhat hard to bend around in such a tight space, but it did go in. I stapled the Romex near the outlet but left a loop between the outlet box and the staple so that more cable could be pulled through in the future if something goes wrong.

My first time doing this sort of thing!

Thank you Noisebridge for creating a space for creative crossover. We gathered all the parts for the electronics portion of the table and with some advice, instruction, and reading got all the LEDs up and running using the power supplies and Arduino purchased for the table. So the next step will be putting them on the table it looks like.