Meeting Notes 2011 06 21
Note-taker: Danny O'Brien
 Introduction and Names
Eric -- AV geek
Devon -- Architecture geek. New! Hi, Devon, hope I got your name right.
Espen -- Norwegian psychology teaching building geek
Cynthia -- Kitchen geek
Johann -- industrial design geek
Jenny -- visiting academicky geek
Danny -- meta geek
Aesthetix - pissing off people geek (not true!)
Kelly -- photography geek
Alexander -- just moved in, startuppy chaos music geek
Michael -- late-coming geek
 Financial Report
Funds in bank: $16835, $3600 in rent going out shortly
We paid $755 in PG&E Electricity bill. It seemed high. Danny pledged to write an email to nb-discuss, and to hell with the consequences. We will see next month if it is still high.
(Note, the thread and analysis in nb-discuss uncovered that a) there are a lot of days in this particular month, b) we pay more in the Summer for our electricity, c) the power usage has gone up, nonetheless, d) maybe it is the increase in cooking, e) maybe it is the vending machine, f) we have a powermeter on the vending machine so we could go check. Etc.)
Jenny pointed to http://growingenergylabs.com/ a friendly startup looking at solar and stuff.
 Membership Binder
Names were read off! New members are incoming!
 What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some events just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Sort & Snack - Help organize the electrical components at Noisebridge, Two hours of sorting and snacking! Bring drinks, snacks or just yourself. No experience necessary! Together we will organize the electronics components and input them into our swanky database. Enthusiasm and curiosity encouraged. Please RSVP to our Hardware [mailinglist] with your name and whether you can sort (no xp needed; Win7/MacOs/linux all fine) or input (xp encouraged)Monday, November 30, 19:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES, The 12-Dec GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Bullshit Detector, Cliff Caruthers, Maloclusion, Angela K. Roberts & Scott Goff, Ok Cor MortemSaturday, December 12, 12:00:
32C3 travel gathering + PGP/OTR/Signal/Pond key verification party!|32C3 travel gathering + PGP/OTR/Signal/Pond key verification party!]], Come and drink and get your key signed.Saturday, December 12, 19:00: [[
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES, The 9-Jan GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Heartworm, Borful Tang, SvG (Lisa Seitz vs Michael Gendreau), Headboggle in Quantum Azimuth, Dancin' Baby (Petaluma) Saturday, January 9, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES, The 20-Feb GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: TBD Saturday, February 20, 12:00:
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays - Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, J, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, Cheng, Greg, and/or a host of others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - Learn HTML/CSS/JS. A series of talks on different topics every week, taught in the Church classroom. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Join the WebDev list or the Announce list for updates.
- E Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Turing Classroom.
- E 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm Songbridge Music Making Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly music making and mentoring meetup with Ableton/GarageBand/Logic tutorials for beginners and peer collabs. (Noise Square Table).
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 7:30 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- E 7:00 pm Digital Archivists - Learn how to scan books and help build book scanners.
- 11th alternating monthly 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Cyberspectrum: Software Defined Radio Meetup in the Hackatorium(new): A place to learn and exchange ideas about SDR. Presentations on concepts, mystery signals, hardware/software and cool applications. Event alternates monthly between SF and the South Bay.
- 1st 7:30pm to 10pm Art with Software in Church room. Present your personal and expressive art made with software/hardware of your making and get feedback and critical dialogue from fellow artist/technologists. Find collaborators and find better ways to make such work. Event info and registration is specifically on the group's Meetup webpage here. Next gathering is October 7.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project. Please note: Next meeting will be Wednesday December 2nd (we won't be meeting the Wednesday before Thanksgiving)
 Super Thursdays!
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- 3rd 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm Friends of FreeBSD welcomes all skill levels to learn more about FreeBSD, to actually use and help promote the FreeBSD project, and to get involved in preventing this operating system from dying.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Meets in Turing.
- 2nd 7:00pm to 9:00pm Cryptopal working group - Learn cryptography through coding challenges that demonstrate attacks on real-world cryptography. A different way to learn than taking a class or reading a book!
- 3rd 7:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1st 3rd 5th 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Computerology in Turing or CollaborationStation, understanding and using computers
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 3rd Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm CPP Class discussion in Hackitorum/Fox Lounge/Church. Currently looking for folks wanting to help plan out lessons.
- E 1:00 pm Zine Hacking Hacking on the good ol' fashioned analog Zine with Torrie, Mari and anyone who wants to come and be excellent and make excellent art.
- alternating monthly 3:00 pm Goths & Crafts Spooky people making spooky things in the sewing area. All kinds of crafts welcome and things don't necessarily have to be goth. But if you have an eye towards the darker side of the color spectrum, this may be for you!
- E 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, currently looking for new players.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details.
- (defunct?) E 2pm to 4pm Algorithms Study Group in Church or Turing classroom - Whiteboarding + looking at really fun computer science topics. We want to make interviewing for code interviews fun and even continue our algorithm skills when we are not interviewing! Affiliated with Women Who Code, but Men welcome too.
- 2nd 2:00 pm BAHA - Bay Area Hacker's Association - security meeting
- E 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- E 6:00 pm Plan 9 class (if not Noisebridge check Sycamore)
- E 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm .impact Workathons in Turing classrom. Work on projects that will help humanity & beyond.
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
 Project Updates
Eric is doing a talk show on TV! It will be filmed live in a boat in the beach, and then backhauled to Sutro Tower then sent into space. It will return via the Galaxy 19 satellite, and he enquired as to whether it would be possible to set up a satellite receiver in the space to capture his living essence, liive.
It was mooted that we are not allowed onto the roof "except to put up antenna". There was some tentativeness about this opinion. Eric was encouraged to email https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/rack and ask about this.
 Consensus items
No consensus items.
 Discussion Items
Aestetix outlined a project that would encourage people to donate money to NB, and in return, a small posse of technical people would help them to set up Tor nodes. The various details of this had been bounced around for a while between people at NB, EFF, and Tor, but in the end the Treasurer suggested the following model, separate from Noisebridge and run by said posse:
- Set up a new paypal account that people can donate money to
- Every time a donation is made to that paypal account, someone (or a script) donates some of that money to Noisebridge/EFF, and uses the rest of the cash to launch a Tor node (however we decide to do it technically)
- Have NB Fearless Treasurer issue a donation receipt from Noisebridge to the original donor
The discussion is still ongoing -- those interested in helping should get in touch with Aestetix.
Everyone nodded enthusiastically, and dined on Cynthia's ginger and cinnamon sliced yams.
Due to an error in consensus comprehension, Eric called a motion for the meeting to be adjourned. Fortunately, the error threw an exception, so the meeting successfully quit anyway.
We went on to discuss the madness that doing a talk show in a boat entails, and it was revealed that Eric is a trained scuba diver, and so were other people, and so on and so forth.