Meeting Notes 2011 06 21
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Introduction and Names
- 1.2 Announcements
- 1.3 Financial Report
- 1.4 Membership Binder
- 1.5 What's Going On at Noisebridge
- 1.6 Upcoming Events edit
- 1.7 Recurring Events edit
- 1.8 Project Updates
- 1.9 Consensus items
- 1.10 Discussion Items
- 1.11 AbEnd of Meeting
Note-taker: Danny O'Brien
Introduction and Names
Eric -- AV geek
Devon -- Architecture geek. New! Hi, Devon, hope I got your name right.
Espen -- Norwegian psychology teaching building geek
Cynthia -- Kitchen geek
Johann -- industrial design geek
Jenny -- visiting academicky geek
Danny -- meta geek
Aesthetix - pissing off people geek (not true!)
Kelly -- photography geek
Alexander -- just moved in, startuppy chaos music geek
Michael -- late-coming geek
Funds in bank: $16835, $3600 in rent going out shortly
We paid $755 in PG&E Electricity bill. It seemed high. Danny pledged to write an email to nb-discuss, and to hell with the consequences. We will see next month if it is still high.
(Note, the thread and analysis in nb-discuss uncovered that a) there are a lot of days in this particular month, b) we pay more in the Summer for our electricity, c) the power usage has gone up, nonetheless, d) maybe it is the increase in cooking, e) maybe it is the vending machine, f) we have a powermeter on the vending machine so we could go check. Etc.)
Jenny pointed to http://growingenergylabs.com/ a friendly startup looking at solar and stuff.
Names were read off! New members are incoming!
What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. And some of the listings here may be out of date.
Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC, our Noisebridge Meetup page <https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge>, or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some eventSs just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Resources For Hosting Events
Saturday, July 13th, Noon to 2:00 PM -- G|O|D|W|A|F|F|L|E||N|O|I|S|E||P|A|N|C|A|K|E|S
- Dimmer (Hammer/Dimuzio)
- Tom Djill
- Gustavo Pastre
- Map Collection
- Andrew Kaluzynski
NOON UNTIL 2PM SHARP!!!
vegan pancakes served.
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E Take Out the Trash Night - Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- 2nd 6:00pm to 8:00 pm Make:SF Project Build Hello Makers, We continue our maker journey and our December MeetUp will be at the historic NoiseBridge! We'll have our usual selection of projects. Each one is merely $10, and you take it home with you after you build it with our gear. December we have an additional food project. If you have your own project or idea, bring it! First timers and skilled makers come to this meetup and its always fun and informative. RSVP to our Meetup page and I will connect you with the info on how you too can be excellent at NoiseBridge.  Mondays are very busy at NoiseBridge. We predict you will return to NoiseBridge soon for their classes. Diana 271-4286.
- 3rd Mondays is the original Circuit Hacking Mondays. Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. People can bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Church Classroom.
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- E 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Whiteboarding & Algorithms Workshop - Wednesday Edition - Let's practice whiteboarding, algorithms, and other interviewing techniques together!! =D This event will be in the Hackitorium!! ^_^ (This is also a support group for job
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Noisebridge SQL Class - Wondering why SQL is so popular and used even though it has been around for decades? Come find out @ Noisebridge SQL class! This class is an intro / intermediate level class on SQL—the backbone language to any relational database around. (Church classroom).
- E 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Digital Art Wednesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share 2D/3D art. We will explore a variety of tools and techniques for digital visual art creation. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (@ the Noise Square Table).
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- 3rdE 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- lastE 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM -- Queer Game Dev Meetup (QGDM) in the Noisebridge HackItorium -- Come check out the next Queer Game Dev Meetup, in the Mission District in San Francisco. Here you will find other queer game devs, game-making enthusiasts, and be a part of an inclusive community that welcomes everyone who is interested in creating games. With language support in English, Español, and Português!
- E 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Thursdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D design, and writing. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Church classroom).
- 3rd Friday Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 7:00 pm to 8:00 am Hacknights happens every friday rain or shine, its the magical night when Noisebridge is open to the public ALL NIGHT LONG!! Meet in Hackitorium RSVP by following this link https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/254878863/
- E 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Technology & Computerology & Systemology --- Technology: The study of creating, use, evolution and history of things. Computerology: The study of computers, or any kind of work with computers; computing. Systemology: The study and evolution of systems.
- E 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring in Church or CollaborationStation
- 3rd (until October 26, 2019)E 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM -- Saturday Afternoon Figure Drawing! -- Come draw with us! Sketchboard Community is an affordable figure drawing meetup, hosted at various venues that support artists with live music and some art supplies provided! 1 model, long poses, with a few gesture poses in the first hour. Noisebridge aim to provide a space for people to hack, create, learn, and explore in a safe, welcoming, and accessible environment. Entry is a $5-25 sliding scale donation and go towards paying models, musicians, organizers & the venues. If you can't pay $, please help volunteer, promote, or bring friends so we can keep the event affordable & accessible! You can also sign up to volunteer via eventbrite. All mediums are welcomed, but please being a tarp is you plan on using oil or any water soluble medium or graphite. We provide some art supplies, easels, and tables for your use. This is a supportive, body-positive, creative space for people of all ages, identities, and experience levels. Any questions, please ask Brittany or Natalie: email@example.com
- E 11:00 am to 1:00 pm Sunday Morning iOS Peer Lab Meetup - iOS Meetup for people want to hack together. Feel free to do whatever you want: work on your project, ask and teach each other, have a chat with folks. Please check out iOS Peer Lab Meetup page for upcoming schedule. https://www.meetup.com/iOS-peer-lab/
- E 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm (times are still experimental until we find out what users like) - Whiteboarding & Algorithms Workshop - Weekend Edition - Let's practice whiteboarding, algorithms, and other interviewing techniques together!! =D This is a more structured version than the Wednesday version. Hosted by Bernice & Ishan. This event will be in the Hackitorium!! ^_^ (This is also a support group for job-hunters.)
- alternating weekly 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm -- 101 Intro to Ableton Live in the Hackitorium. Anyone with an interest in making music on their computer is welcome to participate. All welcome, no experience necessary.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the [httpsS://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tooolsf TOOOL SF announcement list] for details.
- alternating weekly 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm - audioChurch Potluck by Gnar Center - is a great 90 minutes in which to share your audio or video project! Instruments, Projects, Pre-recorded Music, Software and Hardware are fine! Bring a snack + project to share, or just hang out. See our meetup, facebook or official Event page for details
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
Eric is doing a talk show on TV! It will be filmed live in a boat in the beach, and then backhauled to Sutro Tower then sent into space. It will return via the Galaxy 19 satellite, and he enquired as to whether it would be possible to set up a satellite receiver in the space to capture his living essence, liive.
It was mooted that we are not allowed onto the roof "except to put up antenna". There was some tentativeness about this opinion. Eric was encouraged to email https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/rack and ask about this.
No consensus items.
Aestetix outlined a project that would encourage people to donate money to NB, and in return, a small posse of technical people would help them to set up Tor nodes. The various details of this had been bounced around for a while between people at NB, EFF, and Tor, but in the end the Treasurer suggested the following model, separate from Noisebridge and run by said posse:
- Set up a new paypal account that people can donate money to
- Every time a donation is made to that paypal account, someone (or a script) donates some of that money to Noisebridge/EFF, and uses the rest of the cash to launch a Tor node (however we decide to do it technically)
- Have NB Fearless Treasurer issue a donation receipt from Noisebridge to the original donor
The discussion is still ongoing -- those interested in helping should get in touch with Aestetix.
Everyone nodded enthusiastically, and dined on Cynthia's ginger and cinnamon sliced yams.
Due to an error in consensus comprehension, Eric called a motion for the meeting to be adjourned. Fortunately, the error threw an exception, so the meeting successfully quit anyway.
We went on to discuss the madness that doing a talk show in a boat entails, and it was revealed that Eric is a trained scuba diver, and so were other people, and so on and so forth.