Meeting Notes 2011 06 28
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Introduction and Names
- 1.2 Announcements
- 1.3 Financial Report
- 1.4 Membership Binder
- 1.5 What's Going On at Noisebridge
- 1.6 Upcoming Events edit
- 1.7 Recurring Events edit
- 1.8 Project Updates
- 1.9 Consensus items
- 1.10 Discussion Items
- 1.11 End of Meeting
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions:
Miloh: hardware/electronics, electronics area and noisebridge. Sebastian: German hacker, network security, CCC. John from Australia: pilot, programmer brain wave measurer. Al: software developer, wrote a book. Espin: psychology and ideas, get hands dirty, woodworking, electronics. Will: enterprise software, lifting heavy boxes. Liz: web dev and internet sleuth and loves cooperatives and anarchy yay noisebridge. Cynthia: physician defrocked, kitchen wench. Mike: computers, programming, but NOT very large infrastructure. Lauren: who is using the makerbot. A few more people who came in after the introductions.
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
Let the record reflect that the vending machine now accepts dollar bills. John fixed it by taking it apart without breaking it! He will add the info on how to fix it to the wiki page on the vending machine.
Funds in bank: Kelly's report is not here - But the bank funds looks to be still about 3 months ahead. We just got $3,000 from BayCon auction. Thanks BayCon!
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month.
Names read: Jorgen from the Free School, Espin, George, Patrick L, Malachi R., Kevin S. No one is up for membership this week.
What's Going On at Noisebridge
Today a lot of things happened including Tahoe, Bitcoin, Tastebridge, Ruby, some kind of LInux meeting, German class.
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. And some of the listings here may be out of date.
Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC, our Noisebridge Meetup page <https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge>, or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some eventSs just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Thursday, October 18th -- Five Minutes of Fame in the Noisebridge HackItorium at 8:00PM.
Saturday, October 20th -- Lit Crawl comes to Noisebridge in the Noisebridge HackItorium.
Friday, October 27th -- Noisebridge Halloween Party in the Noisebridge HackItorium, $5 suggested donation 9:00PM to whenever. Spooky delights and big frights, wear a costume and bring your friends!
Saturday, November 10, 12:00 -- GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES at Noisebridge.
The 10-Nov-2018 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Vulcanus 68, Critical Monkey, Brian Day, Bloody Snowman, Subliminal Cinema
Saturday, December 8, 12:00 -- GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES at Noisebridge.
The 8-Dec-2018 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Collision Stories, Fluorescent Grey, CUT (Rocklin), Music For Hard Times, Earspray, Monopeice
Saturday, January 26th, 9:30AM-12:30PM -- Designing and Manufacturing with Sheet Acrylic in the Noisebridge HackItorium.
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E Take Out the Trash Night - Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- 2nd 6:00pm to 8:00 pm Make:SF Project Build Hello Makers, We continue our maker journey and our December MeetUp will be at the historic NoiseBridge! We'll have our usual selection of projects. Each one is merely $10, and you take it home with you after you build it with our gear. December we have an additional food project. If you have your own project or idea, bring it! First timers and skilled makers come to this meetup and its always fun and informative. RSVP to our Meetup page and I will connect you with the info on how you too can be excellent at NoiseBridge.  Mondays are very busy at NoiseBridge. We predict you will return to NoiseBridge soon for their classes. Diana 271-4286.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays REVISED SCHEDULE FOR 2018!
- 3rd Mondays is the original Circuit Hacking Mondays. Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. People can bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Church Classroom.
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- E 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Whiteboarding & Algorithms Workshop - Wednesday Edition - Let's practice whiteboarding, algorithms, and other interviewing techniques together!! =D This event will be in the Hackitorium!! ^_^ (This is also a support group for job-hunters.)
- 3rd Wednesday 6:00 pm - Boardgames in Hackitorium! Everyone is welcome! Bring boardgames you've made or games you enjoy. Come play with us every 3rd Wednesday!
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm - Supercollider Class in the Turing classroom. Learn how to write code that makes music. Supercollider is a software platform with a language, development environment and a DSP engine that generates sound from your computer. It models many modular synthesizer designs in code which run in real-time on any Mac, PC or Linux computer. This is a 12 week curriculum with offline exercises.
- 2nd 4th Wednesday - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Crypto Builder's Meetup-- Join up for casual lightning talks and hacking on crypto/blockchain/decentralization in the Hackatorium. NOTE: We will resume the meetings on January 24th. For more information visit: https://www.meetup.com/sfhackdays/
- 1st 3rd Wednesday 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm Haskell Class in Church.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- 3rdE 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic! Small 5MoFs every Thursday-ish, bigger ones on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- 2nd 7:00pm to 9:00 pm "Feedback" Hobby Robotics Meetup Join us for show and tell of our favorite robotics projects followed by some time to hang out and hack together. No experience needed; bringing your work in progress or completed robot is encouraged. Meetups are regularly scheduled at the Noisebridge Hackatorium every second Thursday, check Meetup.com for any changes to the regular schedule.
- 3rd Friday Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 7:00 pm to 8:00 am Hacknights happens every friday rain or shine, its the magical night when Noisebridge is open to the public ALL NIGHT LONG!! Meet in Hackitorium RSVP by following this link https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/254878863/
- E 8:04 pm to 10:04 pm NeurotechSF NeurotechSF+XR is a hacknight to combine Brain Machine Interface technologies with Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality hardware devices, with WebXR (WebVR & WebAR) software and with Artificial Neural Networks. Meet in Hackitorium at or near the Collaboration Station. To confirm the date & time of the next meeting, find out more info, or RSVP you may visit this link https://www.meetup.com/NeuroTechSF
- E 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Technology & Computerology & Systemology --- Technology: The study of creating, use, evolution and history of things. Computerology: The study of computers, or any kind of work with computers; computing. Systemology: The study and evolution of systems.
- E 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring in Church or CollaborationStation
- E 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Whiteboarding & Algorithms Workshop - Saturday Edition - Let's practice whiteboarding, algorithms, and other interviewing techniques together!! =D This event will be in the Hackitorium!! ^_^ (This is also a support group for job-hunters.)
- E 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm - Privacy hackathon! Developers, designers, activists, journalists, and concerned citizens are all welcome to join us every Saturday at Noisebridge (at the tables in the back) to help contribute to free, open source, privacy-enhancing softwar8:00 pm to 10:00e that the world desperately needs. Brought to you by the Cypherpunks Write Code meetup group <-- you can RSVP here. Edward Snowden risked everything to teach us how badly new privacy-enhancing software needs to exist. Let's make it happen!
- E 11:00 am to 1:00 pm Sunday Morning iOS Peer Lab Meetup - iOS Meetup for people want to hack together. Feel free to do whatever you want: work on your project, ask and teach each other, have a chat with folks. There will be no peer lab on Aug 26, Sep 2, Sep 9, 2018.
- alternating weekly 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm -- 101 Intro to Ableton Live in the Hackitorium. Anyone with an interest in making music on their computer is welcome to participate. All welcome, no experience necessary.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the [httpsS://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tooolsf TOOOL SF announcement list] for details.
- alternating weekly 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm - audioChurch Potluck by Gnar Center - is a great 90 minutes in which to share your audio or video project! Instruments, Projects, Pre-recorded Music, Software and Hardware are fine! Bring a snack + project to share, or just hang out. See our meetup, facebook or official Event page for details
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
Al Sweigart would like to talk dirty.
Danny would like to propose for consensus paying someone to clean on a monthly basis.
Danny would like to meta-discuss the structure of the meeting.
Finally, Danny would like to mention a chat he had with the Free School folks.
Someone would like to anonymously point out that Free School and friends have turned the space under the laser room into their personal belonging storage for the past month or so (go check it now, it's a Noiserat nest heaven up in there!). Personal as in clothing, personal hygiene products, items one would normally store in a place they're living out of. Considering that it's illegal for anyone to live at 2169 Mission due to our lease and the city zoning code, does Noisebridge as a collective want people keeping their personal belongings (in this instance things you'd normal keep with you traveling or at your home) in the space? Additionally since such items are being left at the space, concern to their security and well being should be voiced considering Noisebridge as a collected sees property like this as automatic donated to the nonprofit, which was outlined in previous meetings. Or you could just delete this discussion item since I currently lack the energy (backbone?) to debating such things on my own but would like to see some action taken by the group.
Danny proposes Noisebridge funds to pay someone to clean it on a monthly basis
Liz: It wouldn't help with daily level of filth but might be a good deep cleaning.
Miloh: What about setting a cap of how much $ we would spend on cleaning per month and for how long. What would we want done - we would have to describe what needs doing.
Didn't we have a spending freeze? No one remembers.
"If we don't remember, and we don't bother to look it up, then we can just ignore it"
Question from Mike about washing machine and dryer. Al says there is a bag of towels once a week or so and he takes it to a laundromat and washes it.
Will: Started a cleaning fund pledge page, didn't get many pledges.
Claudia brought soeone in quote for the bathroom cleaning. Do we need bathroom cleaning?
Liz: spec out the jobs really well on signs, have spot to sign up and say you did it with the date. Describe job, what it means to do it, time estimate, supplies needed.
Will: hire someone privately and see what difference it makes.
Al: if it would be easier to hire a member then let's try that.
Aestetix: Have a list of things to do, dates like with the bathroom cleaning. It's a gentle reminder.
Miloh: Annoyed because we already have these lists (somewhere) And wants to just hire someone. We keep talking about it.
Aestetix objects to the idea of paid positions within Noisebridge.
Sebastian says he had a cron job, every member had to do 1 hour of cleaning per year, the cron job would send out that it needs to be done. What if all members agree to do X hours per time unit.)
We have many more people that use the space than that are official members. Maybe 10% are members.
Liz commits to write job descriptions and print them tomorrow and put them up. Aestetix and Will are going to help. Liz is going to just buy a laminating machine.
Will wants someone to just come mop the floor.
Danny proposes we do a one-off deep clean of the entire space. What would the person do? How much? we need a quote.
Will brings up donating. What about if on Monday nights, have someone walk around with a donation jar at crowded times and try to raise money.
Miloh thinks it is offputting to have the donation jar right in the center of an activity.
Danny says he will go around begging for donations during Monday nights.
People keeping their stuff in the laser room, clothes and bathroom stuff as if someone's person's belongings. Under stairwell, under laser cutter, etc. Other people are asking them not do keep their personal stuff here in that way. Al left some signs on their things asking people to move the stuff, with his email address for them to contact
It's illegal for people to live here.
John says he checked the zoning law and there is nothing about sleeping in a space it is about residence.
Aestetix says it's more about the social nuisance.
Cynthia: the electronic door is often not locked. So maybe it is good that people are here in the night to guard the space.
General groans around the room that we don't want to hash out this whole "sleeping at noisebridge" issue again right now, omg.
Is any of this a sense that the free school is a sort of "hippie problem" (anonymous note ) Are any of them members? Are they donating? Are they cleaning up after themselves? Do they talk to people?
Danny adds that no one had asked them to donate or be members until he asked them the other day, and one person immediately signed up in the membership binder.
Miloh says there is a general problem keeping personal stuff under the DJ room.
Aestetix: can we describe what the issues are individually and address them rather than identifying a group and blaming them?
Sebastian talks about projects in Germany and how they asked the "freeloading" projects to donate and give back to the space that provides the infrastructure.
Danny: Raised this issue because he wonders if we have some way for an institution to "become a member" . What do we think is a reasonable way to ask them to integrate or participate or donate in a greater way?
Miloh: There would be some people we would be tempted to block.
Aestetix: can an organization block consensus.
MIloh: has gotten to know them and would like to get to know them more but it's been difficult to do.
Liz: But how can the rest of us learn about this or help, if this is a general known problem?
Will: people are showing up and there are actual individuals and behaviors we want to change. Not about another organization.
Danny: what are the bad behaviors?
Will: When people stash stuff here, use the kitchen as personal dinner making and make a mess and they leave their dishes and the food out.
Danny: But that is that the kitchen is getting used a lot more. And that is good. We just need to adjust. Maybe that's not the problem.
Danny: what can we do to talk with them, and what would we ask them to do?
Aestetix: we should feel free to go up to people and say This violated my personal boundary and i would prefer that you do it differently.
Al did a really good thing rather than make it "noisebridge rule" talk about how the behavior is offensive.
Danny: We do have a scaling problem with communication in general so let's not scapegoat a group or assume that everyone who does something objectionable is part of that group.
Miloh: Had conversation with Jonah and others about some activities not being really good for Noisebridge, like martial arts, yoga, and they didn't do that. But they do have Qi Gong classes.
Miloh: If an organized group comes in and wants to do stuff here, let's sit down and have a meeting with them right away! To establish what might work and what might not.
Danny: Some people really like them and what they do.
Let's be clear about this on the discuss list and also email the Free school people.
Baycon guy shows up with a check! YAY BAYCON!
End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.