Meeting Notes 2013 01 15
- There are many memorials planned for Aaron Swartz.
- The Noisebridge logo might be in a movie.
- There are some people who need to leave.
Short announcements and events
- The silkscreening/laster-curring workshop was great!
- Circuit hacking Monday is fantastic and has been hapenning regularly.
- There will be a memorial for Aaron Swartz at the Internet Archive on Jan 24th at 8pm, starring Noisebridge, Wikimedia, and the EFF
- No Starch Press is holding a gathering in memorial of Aaron Swartz tomorrow (Wednesday)
- Shannon is running 5mof in Danny's stead on Thursday. It will have an Aaron Swartz memorial subtext.
- The EFF is holding an event on Friday at Brannan street, for Aaron Swartz.
- Yan is planning a hackathon in Aaron Swartz memory, the Friday after next (Jan 25).
- James Cooper [JC]: week 2; no sponsors.
- Reverend Mik: Week 2; no sponsors.
- Alexandra Glowalski [Merlin]: week 3; Tom, Jake Spaz, Snail.
- Justin [linkreincarnate]: week 3; Jake Spaz, John Withers.
- Charles Condig: week 4; no sponsors.
Summary: we do not have enough money. It would be better if we had more money.
There were no proposals last week.
- Scud and Chrissie must leave. They must not return, except to attend a meeting on this topic until they engage in mediation and resolve the concerns with their behavior.
- John Withers will negotiate in good faith for rights to use Noisebridge's Logo in the background of a movie. The final terms of the agreement will be the subject of consensus at next week's meeting.
Aaron Swartz memorial hackathon
Being arranged by Shanon and Yan. Projects will be related to the things Aaron worked on and loved. No resources are currently earmarked; there are no sponsors at this time. Scheduled tentatively for Jan 25th. There is a coordination Google Doc. To help, get in touch with Shannon.
Landlord sent us an email expressing concerns about building security:
I'd like to reiterate the severity of this issue. The second floor tenants are complaining about arriving to work in the morning to homeless strangers in the stairwells on a regular basis. This is unacceptable, as it produces an unpleasant and unsafe environment for all tenants in the building.
Please inform the members of Noisebridge that this is happening. I understand that Noisebridge is a collective with many members and as such, traffic in and out of the building is a naturally high, but we must insist that stricter security policies are implemented to prevent this from happening again. Members must not leave the first floor front gate unlocked or ajar. Members must also show better discretion before buzzing people in.
A discussion ensues regarding access control. It is substantially agreed that one should not leave or prop the gate open. Many voices suggest that one should take responsibility for those they let into Noisebridge. It is suggested that the short period during which the latch was broken may have substantially contributed to this concern.
Miloh: Chrissie and Scud have been using Noisebridge very heavily, 24/7 for for several days straight. Concerned that they are abusing Noisebridge. Several witnesses attest that they have been sleeping here. Miloh states that they (especially Chrissie) have been drinking excessively; many others agree that they have seen her heavily inebriated at the space. Miloh has seen them head into the bathroom and stay there for half an hour. There is a short conversation about our ability to diagnose or treat individuals with substance abuse issues; we can't.
Andreas has a history of violent outbursts. See these notes, and these. He apologises profusely. Tom asks Andreas to leave and never return. Miloh, Robert, and John agree. Andreas agrees to leave and never return.
Yesterday, we received the following email about the possibility of having the Noisebridge logo be in the background of an upcoming movie:
To Whom It May Concern,
I am a Clearance Coordinator working on the DreamWorks Studios feature film “The Fifth Estate” and Production is interested in using the Noisebridge.net name and logo on stickers as set dressing and/or on t-shirts as wardrobe.
I have attached a PDF containing a formal request letter, our standard release form, and an image of the name/logo. The letter explains what the film is about, who is making it, and how Production intends to use the name/logo.
If everything meets with your approval, please print the release form, arrange for signature and return to us, preferably, via email to email@example.com, or by facsimile # 818/889-6542. Should you have any questions, concerns, or problems opening the attachment, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
If permission is granted, Production would need to print the stickers and/or t-shirt as soon as tomorrow to have them prepared for shooting. I apologize for the urgency and understand that Production’s schedule is not your priority. Your immediate attention to this request is appreciated.
Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to receiving you response.
We have received the following advice on the topic:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:01:17PM -0500, Khris Brown wrote: Looks like Dreamworks has two movies in production according to this(http://wikileaks-movie.com/wikileaks-movie/) confirmed by IMDB & much press, esp. w/r/t Cumberbatch. Could be that that this is Daniel's movie but that they're using two source books to make it. Not enough money in the topic to justify a single studio making two movies about it in the same year, and it sounds like the Cumberbatch project is shooting most quickly.
Fifth Estate is probably a working title - it may be Bill Condon's "Man Who Sold the World"...?
Either way, options are:
- refuse permission, have crappy wanna-be logo on in-movie items anyway (or the actual logo anyway), because they think b/c you're a non-profit you won't sue
- grant permission in exchange for a tax deductible donation to your 501(c)3 by Dreamworks, probably worth about $20-100k if you grant unrestricted permission to rights to use the logo/name across international markets. NOT in merchandising, derivative products, sequels, etc. Single in-movie appearance only. Otherwise you'll see BubbaGump's Noisebridge Hacker Cafe at Pier 39 in 6 months selling crappy rubber keychains that say "Be excellent to each other (TM)."
Ask for the world and threaten to sue if they creep you out. Ask for script approvals, appearance approvals, approved images/usage only. The EFF will, I'm sure, back you with intimidating letters - Eva may already have lawyers dealing with these opportunistic hyenas on her end (I'm sure they want to use the EFF logo as well).
If you love the show & want to have the logo in there b/c it's free advertising and you know a million hackers-of-2020 are going to see it & come to NB the way everyone wanted that nightclub in NYC from "Hackers," hey, maybe that's cool. Just limit the eff out of any granted permissions and clamp down in advance on any bullshit.
Negotiating usage is part of what I do for a living, so feel free to ask. I can also refer you to entertainment lawyers if NB needs one,
Good luck with the weasels!
- Shannon is an observer
- Josh Does songbridge
- Justin is up for membership tonight, he collects hobbies
- Matt hears that we are him
- Rob is expanding his knowledge of Linux and working on a P2P livestreaming
- Snail wrangled the drama-lama
- JC hacks
- Andreas, machine learning
- John does neuro
- Rob lives here
- Philippe free software & electronics
- Georid from hacklab TO
- Mik is a curious bystander from florida
- Kai does ai
- Felix, or moderator, does webdev
- Kevin is a hacker historian
- Trav darning a sock
- Thomas does christopher walken-shaped chocolate
- Kim artist
- Yan does physics
- Mike is a technowanderer not a an ombudsman, quartermaster or stock clerk
- Mischeif plan 9
- Zephyr is also into plan 9