Meeting Notes 2017 01 24
These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge. Date: FIXME THE DATE HERE Note-taker: FIXME YOUR NAME HERE; Moderators: FIXME THEIR NAME HERE.
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Announcements: can't summarize. too much. read actual sexion.
- Finances: hella
- New members: nope
- New philanthropists: Sam
- Consensus Items: also nope
- Discussion Items: mostly people talking about butts.
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to explain what Noisebridge is about:
Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Introduce any experimental or unusual moderation techniques that may be using during the meeting like: direct responses, limited speaking time, orderless stack, &c.
- Round of introductions (remember, announcements come later):
- What's your name
- What do you do
- What do you maintain at Noisebridge?
- if you are new: how did you hear about Noisebridge?
- Steve - theoretical physicist
- Ryan- Does gamebridge stuff, planning on starting laser cutting technique class soon
- Mitch- Noisebridge founder- travels to teach about hacking
- Sam- Cool security stuff and FoF talker
- J- been teaching CHM lots
- Steven - Resident at manylabs 7th and Folsom
- Trent- independent python developer
- Blake- Hacker not a cracker- labor organizing
- Juan - Privacy help, haven't printed a charmader in three weeks
- Lissie- software hacking
- Chris biochemist
- Mark- Curating a game library, and a gamedev
- Chris - also gamedev
- Vicki- VR stuff, social anxiety
- Mike - new to SF, Machine learning
- Alan- Mushroom biologist
- Patrick-Desktop support
- Hannah- hack and stuff
Noisebridge is a =501C3 edu Hack, build, create be excellent to each other is one rule
Short announcements and events
- Cool new projects? Something you'd like people to know? Say now, but keep it short! One or two sentences please!
- Any happenings at the space of which members should be made aware.
- Don't hog everyone's time since we all just want to hack!
5 minutes of fame -this week go up on stage and talk about something that interests you for 5 minutes x 10 people 5mof.com there are empty slots!
Python class session is complete - needs python speakers who have stuff they want to show
Noisebridge field trip to computer history museum for new exhibit firstname.lastname@example.org
mini-reboot at noisebridge feb 18-19 email@example.com
feb 4th at castro 5:00 Silicon valley revelation screening as part of film festival
Got hacked need help
play dwarf fortress at new setup
Note: This section is experimental. We discussed it at Meeting_Notes_2016_06_28. We're going to try it for the next meeting, and see how it goes, and then discuss in the discussion section how it went, and how we'd like to tweak it.
Noisebridge is a safe space. Invite a volunteer to describe what that means.
Some specific points you might prompt the group to touch on, if it doesn't happen naturally:
- What to do if you feel uncomfortable.
- Noisebridge strives to be radically inclusive. What does that mean?
- Noisebridge has an anti-harassment policy. What does that mean?
Noisebridge where everyone is respected and feels safe, bring it up if you feel unsafe or disturbed there are posters that explain the see something say something don't harass people
Invite a knowledgable volunteer to describe who can participate at Noisebridge, including:
- Describe how to get an rfid key for the door system
- Describe how to get access to slack
General everyone is welcome dont need to be a member can do everything here please donate, but necessary
please open the door, but the person that is let is let in on your authority, you are responsible, if they seem sketch don't open the door
slack channel (like irc but looks better I guess) for need RFID
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe Philanthropy, and the application process.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Any applicants must have their sponsor present to vouch for them.
- If there are no objections, they're a philanthropist! Their pledge should be handed over to the Secretary posthaste, after which their token will be updated to give them the 24/7 access they've earned(?)
like a general member but you donate and have a few responsibilities and perks have to close up if you are the last one you have 24 hour access token
80 dollars normal month 40 for starving hacker
Easier then member need one member to vouch for you
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe membership, and the application process.
Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community and space better than it is today.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Mark down a check or other indicator on every open application to keep track of how many weeks they've been read out.
- Anyone eligible to join this week should
- introduce themselves,
- answer any questions members may have for them, then
- leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime, or cookies) for the rest of the group.
- The rest of the meeting should reach consensus on whether they may join.
- Remember to applaud new members when they return.
Is not like gym it is a commitment to make noisebridge better get to help make decisions in the consensus process to be a member means you are going to help noisebridge, and know how noisebridge works fill out form get two member to vouch for you takes four week of meeting if no one objects after fourth meeting
can add rfid to people you trust
- Funds in bank: 70k+
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
less then 7000 per month operating
- invite a knowledgeable volunteer to give a brief primer on consensus process
- It is important that everyone in attendance understands at least:
- Blocking with verbalized principled objections.
- Why we use consensus over other approaches to decision making.
- How consensus isn't a legislative process
- Why consensus isn't applicable to some things like conflict resolution, resolution of time sinks, and the like.
Concensus whenever there are important issues
two types large C- when ever there are any big issues the go through two weeks of deliberation tell people agree, or they can block it.
Do-ocracy do what you want to do-
blocking is a big deal, one block will halt that item instantly (only do it if you think it will ruin the space (IE lets set the building on fire)).
(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
Longer discussion items belong here. This is the last part of the meeting so that people can break off and continue their discussion afterwards.
Mark- Video game library get general feel on it. Games are cool but are not always about creativity game shelf brought in will be done on line a bit as well any objections?
question- Lissi- is it Sam- have security around device, locks good sam- excited to play watchdogs too great idea - yes means of the hacks we can do keep an eye on things- don't let it disrupt the community and quiet get headphone splitter
what is be excellent to each other explanation treat others like you want to be treated\ treat the house like your own do not sleep here (no naps either) don't have conversations that trigger people.
Ryan - 1) laser cutting class starting soon on Mondays 7-10. not approval-to-use meeting; instead about techniques 2) wondering if there is interest in learning to shoot (actual) film.. eg super8, other (actual) cameras