Meeting Notes 2017 01 31
These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge. Date: 2017-01-31 Note-taker: Drew Moderators: Nathan A.
TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Mini-Reboot is February 18th-19th!
- Noisebridge has a lot of money, but it's not really a lot!
- Lizzie wants to become a member!
- There are no consensus items!
lol whoops i (Drew) missed a bunch of introductions.
- Mo - first time visitor
- Peter - visiting from Belfast
- Marc - visiting from Belfast
- John - treasurer stuff
- Mitch - cofounder of Noisebridge
- Marco - online advisor to help beginner learn programming (and in the future: everything) - InLe
- Trent - helping with Sparkleforge
- Darryl - Does robots and teaches laser cutter.
- Henner - Makes programs
- Jeremy - Does software, runs 5MOF
- Dee - Teaching himself C for complexity studies, interested in social activism.
- Miloh - haven't been to a meeting in about a year -- attending hw hacking at sudoroom on tuesdays instead
- Alexander, not Alex - Loves making stuff, wants to bring his inventors.
- Lizzie - Thinks about security and the future.
- Victoria Fierce - A literal house
- Sam - Does lights and music.
- Hannah - Laser cutters and CNC machines and also programs no.
- Drew - Works in Distributed systems and cares about leftism
- Jeff - Interested in Security AND Lights & Music
- Jarrod - Makes furniture.
- J - Teaches Circuit Hacking Mondays
- Blake - crypto and labor
- Lee - Jet-lagged. Working on distributed systems at noisebridge as
- Amanda - with a company called acidvr.com looking to host a workshop in live DIY Virtual Reality Music.
- Jarvis - Does android stuff, is working on a game.
- Jonas - builds things with electronics, specifically on ESP Wifi devices
- Johan - builds software.
Short announcements and events
Lizzie is hosting the next 5MOF. 5MOF is weekly but also monthly. 5MOF monthly meetings are the 3rd Thursday. This week, you can go to the website 5mof.com
- Feb 16 - Five Minutes of Fame, no dudes!
Alexander - Runs a meetup group called Modern Inventors. Once every 2 weeks to talk about inventions. Used to meet at Muddy's (?) but they want to meet here. They want to have the meeting in 2 weeks on Monday at 6:30.
- Mondays are busy
- Church was something on Mondays and now it's Python class.
- Maybe Turing is free?
- Check the meetup page, which is a good
J - in a couple of weeks, it's REBOOT TIME
- MINIREBOOT MINIREBOOT (poster attached)
- February 18th and 19th
- Show up to help!
- During the reboot, hacking is allowed on the space itself only
- May 19th-21st
- Probably not gonna be a big noisebridge project, but contact email@example.com if you want to show off your stuff
- #fabrication on slack could coordinate a big project
- Wants to do an Arduino for Total Newbies Workshop at the end of February
- Mitch can teach 50 people and this will FILL UP the space, probably on a weekend
- 3.5 hours of soldering and arduino fun
- Next monday at 7 in church
- Noisebridge Python on websockets in flask
- Gareth will be talking
NO MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS OR EVENTS
Some specific points you might prompt the group to touch on, if it doesn't happen naturally:
- What to do if you feel uncomfortable.
- Noisebridge strives to be radically inclusive. What does that mean?
- Noisebridge has an antiharassment policy. What does that mean?
Victoria talks about safe space:
- The last 11 days have been really super anxious and stressful for a lot of people.
- Noisebridge tries to be a safe space, both physical and psychological:
- Physical as in use PPE, be safe, and add the 3 laws of robotics to your creations.
- Psychological as in everyone should feel empowered to hack on what they want to hack.
- Try not to bother people in thier work.
- Try to let people prepare themselves before you bring up sensitive topics like violence and abuse.
- If you feel like Noisebridge is being unsafe:
- In slack, go into #space-guardians and ask for help, and people will help
- A trusted Noisebridger may also help
- If you doubt yourself, someone can double-check your gut feeling (your gut is probably right).
- One of the big modes of alienation of women here is when well-intentioned guys are over-helpful and way too friendly.
- Tone it down and don't pay loads of attention to a girl.
Mitch: the Code of Conduct is posted on the wall to remind people of our standards.
- The bottom line is anybody, ANYBODY, can come into Noisebridge to hack and teach and work. The only rule is to be excellent to each other.
- If you want access to the space, know people and be involved. If people notice your positive presence, you may be offered access.
- J likes to give access to people who are really involved in CHM.
- If you want 24/7 access, you might become a philanthorpist (sp?)
- If you REALLY want to participate, you can become a member!
- Being a philanthropist is a lot like being a normal member of the community except in return for a bit of a bigger participant, you get 24 hour access.
- Recommend donation $80/mo, $40/mo starving hacker.
- Philanothropists can come and go as they please and can close up the space past 10.
- To become a philanthropist:
- Fill out a form in the binder, and it'll be read out at a Tuesday meeting if you're sponsored.
- If anybody dissents to you being a philanthropist, they can block it.
- If you're un-excellent, your philanthropy can be REVOKED.
NO NEW PHILANTHROPISTS THIS WEEK.
- An indicator of increased commitment and responsibilty.
- As part of this commitment, you have more of an obligation to Noisebridge.
- You're also part of Consensus:
- If things might be wrong in the space, you can change things but you should talk to people before you impact the space.
- If you want to do a big thing, you can go through big-C Consensus, which is a Process for if things might impact Noisebridge forever.
- If you disagree with some Consensus Proposal, you can Block it, which means it won't happen.
Lizzie has an application in to be a member! Lizzie says:
- Wants to be a member b/c they feel more commitment and responsibility to the space.
- If something bad would have happened, they would have just left, but now stick around and fix it, which is a change.
- Was a member, but it lapsed because they didn't "hiatus".
- Has been a philanthropist for a year
- Funds in bank: $83,972.01
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
Join us in #finance-wg in Slack around $5,000 per month operating expenses We cashed out $19,417.14 in Noisetor Bitcoins recently, and got at least one $500 check for Noisetor. Lots of online donations also tagged with Noisetor. I plan to doöcratically transfer a lot of our cash reserves into a higher yield savings account that’s FDIC insured. We can get at least 1% annual return. With our current bank total that’s a bunch of money. We have $8,643.25 left in the equipment fund. Help us spend this money! If you raise half the money for a piece of equipment, the equipment fund can match you for the other half. Treasurer goals: We want to buy the building. But how? We dunno. Talks are ongoing. I think we have < $200 in laser maintenance Discussion of buying the building was supposed to be at 7 but now it's some other time.
- Lizzie's description was good.
- NB has 2 forms of consensus, both decision making processes
- Big-C Consensus is the more procedural one. We talk about your thing and talk about it and talk about it and if nobody dissents it Becomes So
- Little-c consensus is more day-to-day. For example, if you want to paint a wall, you ask around. Talk to people and figure out the best process
- Ties in with doocracy. If you want to do a thing, do it.
- Little-c items are un-doable.
- You might not even realize your part of consensus, but you are.
- You can do anything at noisebridge, member or not. Membership only brings you 2 things: 24 access and BLOCKING
- During Big-C the item is discussed greatly and then
- BLOCKING in Big-C means if things get out of control (which should not happen!) then someone (a member in good standing!) can BLOCK a proposal.
- "As a member of Noisebridge, I can't in good conscious allow this proposal to proceed"
- If people might be dissenting, talk it out.
- A good example of consensus proposal was the recent Fiscal Sponsorship, which was withdrawn because it wasn't time yet, but now there's more discussion about it!
Mitch: An exception to the blocking thing:
- If someone is up to be a member of noisebridge, and any Member in Good Standing objects, the protomember is NOT a member, with NO GOOD REASON needed, because being a Member gives a bunch of rights under California Nonprofit Law
J - Noisebridge MINI-REBOOT as above!
- Prep work on 17th
- We can spill into Monday if we want!
- The main thing to talk about is if you want to participate, go onto the website and click on the MINI-REBOOT link.
- There is a list of items that need fixing.
- If you want to participate but don't want to participate, you can bring food and drinks.
- firstname.lastname@example.org or j on slack or @circuithackingj on twitter.
- Things for discussion require cash:
- Curtains - Kyle has offered to find nice curtains:
- donate.noisebridge.net/projects/curtains - we need 119 dollars
- Curtains - Kyle has offered to find nice curtains:
- UPS Support for Earl (Access Control) is needed
- Sparkleforge needs a door-casing (sp?)
- 220v Outlet
- Roof leaks
- Install CO sensors (Mitch: which arrived today!)
- Fix the Noisebridge table.
- #mini-reboot on slack
- Victoria - is the TODOocracy still happening on Thursdays? Victoria can't run it anymore:
- Who knows what TODOocracy? Nobody!
- Noisebridge used to have a SCRUM every week to fix up the space!
- Milo wants to see it happen again!
- There's a link on the wiki.
- Very Very Important to get rid of junk. If you have a TRUCK-SHAPED OBJECT or access to a TRUCK-SHAPED OBJECT, we REALLY need one.
- Mitch wants to give context:
- Minireboot is annual since the REBOOT, which was not MINI
- 4 years ago Noisebridge was spiraling downword for a number of reasons
- Lots of people who didn't belong started showing up and Noisebridge ended up a flop-house.
- People who DID belong here had to deal with shit, sometimes literally.
- There are interesting stories on the 86 page.
- NB nearly disappeared because bad people gonna bad.
- As a last ditch before everyone just threw in the towel, the place was shut down and rebuilt, and it fixed things.
- Having a mini-reboot every year is to keep things together and help keep Noisebridge healthy.
- Implicitly, we've been talking about the "cultural immune system". New people to the space get a tour, for example, to learn what the space is about.
- Noisebridge culture is passed on this way, and mini-reboot is an annual celebration of that.
O Happy Day has figured out how to use Postmates and NB is getting misdeliveries, which for some reason we are not immediately eating. Maybe make them a sign/logo/thing?
Next Thursday on Feb 9 7pm TODOocracy
- to-do-ocracy on slack?
- If the wiki went away forever, how would you feel?
- Negatively, says the room.
Property Planning Map:
- You can look up 2169 Mission Street