Meeting Notes 2019 10 08

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search

These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge.

help take notes at - https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting

Date: 10-8-19

Note-taker: Tinnei

Moderators: Ryan

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New philanthropists:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Introductions[edit]

First is introduction. Ryna will start off

Ryan: I'm Ryan, I've been coming to NB little over 5 years now generally I help take care of NB + VR cart. Happy to help anyone! He/him pronoun. O.T.I.S. (not an elevator representative) for tonight: has been at nb for 4 years or so supposed. He has been doing projects in the space

Fraddi: I'm originally from Italy, been in NB for 1 year. Here teaching a class.

Tinnei: designer by day, physical computer hacker by night. Getting used to being a philanthropist

Reily: Hi I'm Reily. Mostly giving tours here. I'm working on a project to set up a (?) intranet. (YOU'll get it dude)


roy: nothing much. installing catilina to my mac. works on info graphics

Noah: Been here for abt 6 weeks. Hack on a bunch of stuffs, mostly woodshop + electronic stuffs. Hoping to help with the woodshop area WOOT

Ait: I am learing animation and coding and ancient coding from word. Learning Arabic.Been here for a bit over a month. Website: https://freedom4A.com

William: I've been living in SF for 5 years, and here in NB for a week! (WOOAH) I'm teaching myself python now -- wants to build an electric scooter and work with other people. Learn new things and how they work

Sage: works down the street working on art and journalism. Wants to use sewing - I love sewing. Fundraiser of climate change and oclonialism.

Wheesey: anarchopacifist He/him loves noisebridge Software hacker/ audio hacker by night.

Victor: running a fundraiser of sorts

Ben: Art history and doing research on san francisco. Creating an infinity mirrior for the space -- a convex one and a curved one (show pics later)

Dave: building a computer? Also built the lockers -- happy to see people adding more to it. Rex, thank you for initiating the designsss (I TALK A LOT -- Dave said)(almost as much as frank)

Poe asked by google to give a review for the space. interested in video arts and writing.

Gulsun Photographer, learning python

Short announcements and events[edit]

60-second description per item in bulletpoint.


1) Victor: "Comedy show fundraiser this Saturday" (Oct 12, 2019) https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/264381867/ I'll do a sound check today. If anyone want to help out with set up please slack Victor (@Victor Trevino) (maybe little earlier beforethe event) :)

      • ideas about sound overflow + set up space for ppl who wants to work***

2) Victor: "Costume Hackathon" on Oct 17

3) Sage: "(Event name undecided yet)" by WEPAN on Dec 21st

   Photographer, art performance, live poetry focused on climate change, colonialism. 
   Young lords and Black Panther speakers will be there

4) Ryan: octorber 19 and 20 "Stupid **** that nobody needs and terrible ideas" hackathon

  Size of a VCR vaper was made there, cattle prod selfi stick, deep fried water

https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/264945809/ Do people work together? -- you can work alone or work in a team Suggest you start earlier because it might takes some time to get to work Also because you can potentially get VC funding woah We do have a few projects that get on media (very stupid yes) If you need any idea, Ryan have IDEAS! Ask him. (sad he's not gonna be here :( )

Otis- elevator is fully locked out, to keep people from trying to use it, until it gets full fixed and recertified.

      • We'll have a discussion for elevator later below***


Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)

OTIS, Dave, Reily, Fraddi:

Excellence means you'll try to work with the community to help with the space as much as possible.

Anti-Harassment Policy: We're trying to create a space comfortable + safe for everyone to work. To provide a space for people who absolutely needs that.

Part of being excellent is to take care of yourself first :) Don't hurt yourself by giving too much to other

Respect others in the space -- for example, cleaning dishes, clearing out trashes (please recycle)!. Not one's asked to do this so will be great if you help.

Ryan: Excellent doesn't always mean you have to be nice and like everyone -- means you don't be mean to other people. Be available for other people. Be willing to participate.

Don't steal or nap in sthe space or leave food in the space. (that is how you get ants). Take food home when you leave or in the fridge. (ryan will take soem crossaints home). They don't need to add

Rats are not eating the bugs rn** maybe we need to get a space cat (Just joking) Unless its electronic cat/ or the Jimmy dog.(goddard)


Participation[edit]

Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.

(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)

Wheesy: Doing anothing that improve the space! Fix stuff clearing up taking out the trash cleaing the workshop designing the site like Marco does! makeing sure the lights are off at night. turning the lights off to make sure our electricity bill is at a good rate + DONATE be kind

(Poe enters the building) ^Poe intro up there (Gulsul enters the building) ^ Gulsul intro up there

Ryan: you can also work on project with a group. Big project like flashy toushe, ordibooth. You can also work on project by yourself You can also teach classes You can also fix stuffs

      • Question on the hole on floshentashen *** Drink More corona for floshentashen. we need to probably get our own new LEDs and build a different setup than the others.

Philanthropists[edit]

A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)

Philantrophists close and open the space and get 24 hour access to the space and get permission to open the door for others. Give tours to new people and get them familiar with the space.

Ryan: philantrhoriists donate monthly ($40-80 or other per month) Donating time is useful to us too. Time helping others time teaching. Money is cool but other work is great to build an awesome community.

Gain responsibities the more they are a philanthropist. Not necessarily has more piviledge + more responsibities.

You are responsible for who you let in. You can choose to not let people in. You can choose to also do your work instead of opening the door because many people may be coming in.

Ryan: 30 day access people can let others in as well (ranger perhaps is the term)

Philanthropist ++ is also a "class"

Wheesey: to be become a philantrhopist, some members and philanthopists find you excellent (with interest in keeping the place clean and safe). A member can sponsor you to become a philanthropist on a tuesday meeting.

Membership binder is in the whitebox. *Going through membership applications -- they are not here today*

Membership Binder [edit]

Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)

Ryan: Big M Membership is the next level immune system of noisebridge Should be available for meetings. You are responsible to sponsor philantropis.(perk gained Beuracracy)

To apply to be a Member - you need to go through a 2 weeks process to have everyone to discuss. You have to go through a big C consenses to approve or block you.

A Member's status can be revoked.

What is big C consensus: in next section

A member is allowed to block consensus item (like below) from passing.

Consensus[edit]

Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.

(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a"block"?)

For massive changes or changes in large amonts of spending. smaller things like creating a go cart rank is too small for this

Small c consensus is for things that you just want to do like move floshentoshen or any item. No members need to be present for this. Small c consensus items just need members will

    • On voting vs block. We don't do voting here. **

The process: you discuss an issue in the space -- if you recognize it's a small C consensus item, you should bring it up in the tuesday meeting for members to discuss.

Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)

no items


Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)

Ryan proposes: burn down noisebridge Steve blocks it (this is a test)





Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

  • Funds in bank:
 Bank account at 170k or less depending on if we pay the landlord collects rent this month
   No idea if it is still funtioning correctly.
  • Any other details by those participating in handling our financials

This wiki is currently wrong^ Look on Discuss

Tyler will give a better report soon next week.

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

No specific update.

This weekend's Comedy Event (Oct12, Sat) is a fundraising event!

Wine tasting card will be silent auctioned or raffled.

Remember to remind people to donate

Don't say it's a "free" coworking space - we won't charge, but encourage donation. remind them this actually takes a lot of money to keep it function.

If anyone has no money to donate, can mention it's okay to donate in another way. Small actions go a long way.

We recommend if anyone use a tool a lot, maybe donate to keep the tool running. Donating money is very helpful for tool repair.

Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

Elevator OTIS: the condenced version is that the elevator is 100+ years old and it is hard to find parts and people to fix this machine. They have to be up to code and all of the parts work etc. Our landlord is againresponsible to have the elevator up to code. the proble is that someone got into the elevator and got stuck in the elevator (18 months ago). response unit broke the elevator getting the person out of this elevator. They fixed it but it recently stopped working properly. Some people that were mobilly challenged got stuck and complained to the city and saw that it was not up to code. The elevator was always dangerous, it is an industrial elevator.there was conflict between the repair company and the inspector. This is the fourth time that the elevator was illegally put back to service. (according to reports)


Discussion Item 2[edit]

machine access protocal:

   Certain machines are very delicate and break easily and very expensive to fix. 
   we need to make sure people are equipped to use them.
   These machines are deadly.

Two main machines that need high cost maintenance: table sew, laser cut, kiew?, CNC machine, Metal CNC machine

How will we stop people from breaking the Laser cutter Machine? 1 training 2 certification 3 RFID

1 Online training quiz possible --> give you a token/key to access the machine. But some machine requires physical walk through.

3 RFID authentication before using the machine: may have issuses with setting up the authentication system for all machines, but this enables accountability.

Otois proposes either to have nobody have laser access and retrain or install a video camera in the space for these machines so we can know how to prevent.

Ryan proposes retraiing (even if we can't identify certain people we may be able to prevent this with)

Otis: jsut create user accounts for the computers and only those authorized users can use the machines.

Ryan: Keying. Add a box with a little code on it, where users can the key only after a training. And you'll have to get a new key from a retraining after 3/6 months. Table sew has some sort of chemical on it.

Otis: Table sew has 4/5 heads replaces now. People don't know what's conductive in general.

Ryan: Alumium back insulation firm/ acrylic.

Dave: Tell ppl if they want to use the machines, ask! People need to have specific traing for table sew/ laser cut.

Ryan: There's a wiki page. Last updated is 2013.

Dave: People don't know what to know.

Why don't we lock the room? No it doesn't work in this space.

Decision: key or training system??? 1) should we limit access to dangeous machines? What machines? 2) should we hold people accountable for using these dangeous tools? 3) if we hold people accountable, what can we do to hold people accountable?

the miter saw injury rating --- high cost to repair--- low the laser cutter injury rating --- high cost to repair ---high the table saw injury rating --- high cost to repair--- high the sewing machines injury rating --- mid cost to repair --- high Maslow CNC injury rating --- mid cost to repair --- high Roland CNC injury rating --- mid cost to repair --- high 3D printers injury rating --- mid cost to repair --- high metal lathe injury rating --- high cost to repair --- high metal cnc mill injury rating --- high cost to repair --- high


    • Otis describing past events happened with these machines + costs to repair. **

maybe we can do a bundle of saws

Which machines do people hurt themselves on? Is there a document on their injuries?

Dave: Consensus item --> should we lock rooms to protect the machines from people/ protect people from machines

Otis: This will impede access to other machines in the space

Dave: We give people 30 days access so they can see all.

Fraddi: What about people who don't have 30 days access.

Dave: People are let in by people with 30 days access.

Ryan: This goes against noisebridge philosophy - we don't limit anyone's access.

Otis: We can limit access to a tool, not an entire room. Maybe a tablet attach to a sew that ask questions.

Dave: But the issue is people damaging the other part of the room.

Otis: Do we know who's causing these situation? Are we paying attention to how people are using this space?

Dave: We can just think of this proposal as optionally if you open this space to someone, you are responsible to what they do in this space.

Reily: We are currently looking at people who are on the list so it's not a real way to scan out people.

    • comment on anarchy + high consicousness + we have to elaborate **

Make clear what we are

We need people to formulate what our ideas are. Put it into words. discuss


Otis: I have two new concensus propsals Proposal 1: revoke access from all trained laser users . Everyone has to be retrainned because the laser machines had been updated.

Proposal 2: we have people retain every few months

Proposal 3: have some form of access control system for the saw stop, that a random person can't just access it without training. reset the code every three months. Saw stop code would be

Ryan + Steve: These can be just small C consensus

Noah: Put this on slack and discuss, so people can put proposal as thread to have everyone's input.

      • everyone: GOOD JOB Noah ***


How we deal with meth heads?


Discussion Item 3[edit]

online community

Dave's outline: Discuss - Most of the time people want to be on discuss or slack and it is hard to get people on discuss. The Email system is not working. You have to manually verify it. Slack - He has told people to get onto slack through invitation. Somehow we are told to not invite people? We need to consolidate this.

    • poe is confused by "discuss" and what it means and everyone else explains it to him**

Ryan: Discuss is for all new users.

Fraddi: How do you become an admin on Discuss?

    • Ryan listing people that does have admin access.**

Dave: people are already aware of it.

Ryan: also will be great to have IRC back. IRC is not stable and not enough active people using it. Suggest usinga list for request like this, instruction is on the wiki page.

Dave: I'll have to really talk to people then...

Ryan: I can also look into talking to the admin. Try to see about what's happening on there. Ah but I don't do too much coding.

    • everyone: nah but you're here! **

Dave: someone has been wanting to paint a mural but couldn't get a hold of the right people to ask. We should not make it that complex to sign on.

[ACTION] --> Ryan to look into the admins. Dave will try to talk to the people with admin right to update Discuss.

Question on admin access: can we add more admins? Ryan: Maybe tricky. The person has to be technically eqipped Feddie: maybe we can have a rotation system -- if someone's not here anymore, pass on the access to other people. Ryan: I don't recommend anyone take over more than 3 systems. If anyone want to help out, come to our !!noisebridge improvement!! hackathon on Saturday.

Steve: Victoria is the person created the discuss. Should we reach out?

Discussion Item 4[edit]

Movinging woodshop

ventilation -

Reily's outline: currently there's a whole bunch of wood dust in the wood shop -- can we switch wood shop and classroom so we can set up a ventilation system close to the window.

Ryan: we can push wood dust to the outside but we can create a positive airpressure to a collection system.

Otis: another item brought out -- spray paint is another issue spray paint may be explosive over a certain amount. Propose to create a spray paint area in the kiln area.

NoaH: says that we need both ventilation and dust collection are different things

Ryan: We can probably able to fit both into the same area. A proper dust collection air reflow pull fresh air from the other to run the dust collection from the inside. I helped design a couple woodshop but this woodshop does have issue. Once we renew the lease then we can have a discussion about how to move the room: seal the door, window filter system.

Otis: we can have a sky window? instead of building a wall

Ryan: building an actual wall is going to be not too hard.

    • Question on ARVR area **

It's 11 am people

Noah: Maybe next week we can put up a big C consensus to replace what we have with a better ventilation machine + vastly more usable system (French cleat system). 4 x 8 could be attached to the wall directly.

Ryan: we do need to create a consensus item for this.

    • Question on the wall ** 6 walls are put up by us, so we can modify them

[ACTION] --> Noah create a consensus item: 1) french cleat system 2) industrial ventilation machine. Ryan get floorplan for Noah.

Cleaning out the space + building out the cleats need labor. Noah will recruite. Ryan suggests to create an event for this.

Ryan thank you everyone for coming.

Ryan: meeting is now done. have a good night! Hack the Planet

End of Meeting[edit]