Meeting Notes 2019 12 03

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search

These are the notes from the The 548th Meeting of Noisebridge.

help take notes at - https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting

Date: 12/3/19

Note-taker: Tyler

Moderators: Ryan

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New philanthropists:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Ryan- As we have have three people up for membership tonight we will be changing the order for the meeting, it will go introdductions, membership, then the rest of the meeting

Alex- I'm here online. Can you pipe audio to me Ryan? I can signal call or whatever.


Introductions[edit]

  • Ryan - He him - Likes helping noisebridge, is a member, works on VR, does stuff.
  • Roderick - he him, that dude, that guy- Many things and nothing in particular.
  • Roy - he- cares about HK.
  • Tyler - he him? - software, woodworking metal, treasurer.
  • Tim - he him - biotech. up for membership today - working on a crossbow.
  • Relay - he him - runs races - gives tours randomly - fail to complete any one project. (the room points out that in fact Relay has succeeded in various tasks).
  • Emelia - she her - designer who works on wearable technology and other software.
  • John - he him- used to do finance stuff, was away for a year and a half
  • Vana - architect of buildings. She is here.
  • Ryan - already did it.
  • David - laser class trainer. He/him.

Ruth arrives and adds more members to the list of members actually in attendance

Membership Binder [edit]

Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)

Tyler - Noisebridge membership is the final trust level. They are the ones that are selfless and fix things and don't just hack on things.

Ryan: talks to Alex on the phone about membership confirmation.

LXPK: pretend like I'm not there (we record this anyways)

Up for Membership:[edit]

* Tyler --- Sponsored by: Ruth and Ryan	   
* Tim --- Sponsored by: Ruth and Ryan and John	
* David --- Sponsored by: Ruth and Ryan

Members currently present (physical or digital):[edit]

  • LXPK
  • John
  • Ryan
  • Ruth


Quiz Time:[edit]

Ryan to Tyler: Why do you want to become a member?

Tyler: Because Ruth told me to. As a secondary reason I don't care about membership, but I care about Noisebridge and want to keeps things running smoothly. Becoming a member accomplishes that. I can help sponsor new philanthropists in the future.

Ryan to Tyler: What do you do for Noisebridge?

Tyler: I take care of the finance stuff. I built bar bot.

Tyler: I built bar bot.

Roderick: Wait it's running?

Tyler: (Flustered) YES. IT WORKS AND EVERYONE WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE IS LYING.

Tyler:

  • helped with the gala as a bartender,
  • comedy night,
  • has been around to help at a number of other events.

Tim: you missed my movie screening.

Tyler: I know and I am sorry Tim.

John: Tyler helped with insurance and taxes.

Ryan to Tim: Why do you wish to become a member?

Tim: Because Ruth told me to (and Nicole, and others)

Roy: So you give in to peer pressure?

Tim: Nah. But everyone assumes I'm a member. I have given 500 plus tours. Everyone calls me employee of the month even though I adamantly oppose it.

???: What have you done for Noisebridge?

Tim: tours, lactation room, 86'd a heck-ton of people, taught a biohacking class, fixed the crossbow, screened a movie, Knighted Naomi, led multiple meetings, given key advice on administrative policy (insurance). Also a former board member of a different hackerspace in Boston (weird flex but ok), the end.

Ryan: Same question to David.

David: Because Ruth told me to apply. Also because I am sad that there are not many members due to lots of infighting and attrition. My membership shouldn't change anything about my contribution to Noisebridge. That is also why I want my membership to only last for one year, because i want to show that it isn't some secret club that no one can attain.

???: Contributions?

David: Laser trainer. Active in fundraising. submitted a meaningful grant for Noisebridge, participating in cleanups, etc.

Ryan: NORMAL QUESTIONS ARE DONE. ITS FUN TIME. HOLD ON TO YOUR CLUB MATES

Ryan: Favorite type of alcohol?

Tyler: Mead.

David: Fernet.

Tim: Cheap sake for Noisebridge.

Ryan: PC or Console

Tyler: Console (I like devices that are purpose built).

David: Console.

Tim: Super Tux Cart.

Ryan: Biggest physical improvement in Noisebridge?

Tyler: Move woodworking to church and turn woodworking into a classroom.

David: Get our spaces permitting issues resolved. Also agree with Tyler in improving our Dirty Shop / Woodshop.

Tim: getting the elevator working (because that shit's ridiculous) and getting a biohacking space.

Ryan: Biggest community improvement in Noisebridge?

Tyler:

So there are... I want to limit Noisebridge burnout. 3 types of attrition:

  • moving away,
  • burnout from doing too much work,
  • infighting.

We lost a few people to community attrition this year. One person required to do a lot of work is to common.

David: Agree with both, help make Noisebridge more known, getting more people involved with teaching in the space (mainly laser trainers).

Tim: Bring in more people from outside community and help onboard more members because the lack of memeber is a severe limit to community empowerment. Membership shouldn't be as hard as it is.

John: What part of Noisebridge do you want to get rid of?

Tyler: Ordibooth

David: get rid of shelves in the wood and metal shops and all the clutter (give items homes)

Tim: Parts archive

John: Why do you not feel empowered to throw these things away right now?

Tyler: Some people are emotionally attached to some of the objects here so they. It takes a lot of work to rebuild and fix things (like ordibooth) and I want the time to refactor and improve, not just remove.

David: It seems like a project that takes a lot of work and I don't want to leave it half done.

Tim: It's not that I haven't felt empowered, I just haven't done it yet. I do not know what is actually useful

John: I am willing to help with any of this.

discussion to refactor ordibooth and parts shelf breaks out.

Ruth: What conflicts have you had at Noisebridge and how did you resolve them.

Tyler: I got involved with collecting info about our fundraising and Crebs. There was a lot of inner conflict. The end result, everyone other than Ryan and Ruth left. I got through the info of the financials and then synthesized the maximum values from the process despite the hard feelings in the group.

David: Aroun were up sd during the recent cleanup where Metal shop, sewing and the music stuff was moved. I was not the main person moving the stuff around. there were a lot of people mad about the movement that occurred. I tried to help the people by communicating and asking what can be done to make this better instead of just undoing everything. I asked people to clarify why they were upset with the metal shop and music area. Right now I think it is functional and the animosity has has disappeared.

Tim: this is a multi hain one. A person who was 86ed and owned the Noisebidge domain name. Naomi did a great job and met with them in Berlin and treated them like a human being and convinced them to get the domain transferred to Noisebridge. I knighted Naomi and gave her all of the attention that she needed to accomplish this goal. Noisebridge still needs to get the domain from Naomi.

LXPK: What is your dream for Noisebridge?

Tyler: Francising Noisebridge (Ryan immediately denies this). Build Noisebridge francise agreement and how it runs. I want to have information on how we were. (Ryan insists this could be completed if people RTFM) also provide better documentation for people to be a treasurer. Maybe haze the next treasurer with more vague documentation. make finance page and crypto page. HAVE ALL OF THE INFO IN ONE PLACE SO THAT NEW PEOPLE ARE NOT CONFUSED ON OUR FINANCES.

David: Noisebridge never has to worry about money again (rent especially).

Tim: Dream for noisebridge: All other hackerspaces suck. We let people in the door without asking for a handout. We do have a lengthy 86 list like a library. We are not broke and has stuff that works and is not somebody's living room and charging people. It is near the BART so it is accessible. I want to add a self driving car crew. BSL 2 public bio lab. I know how to do it. I can introduce.

Ryan: What digital improvements would you make to Noisebridge?

Tyler: Improve accounting system for future treasurers, fix our websites (slack, wiki, discuss).

David: make it easier to streamline the discuss, write about Noisebridge improvements, how to get them done/redone, way to track of what needs to be fixed, and how things work for other people to learn and understand and make it easier for us to work on. The wiki and the borg (editor: blog?). Just make it easier to use. set up a easy way to update the status of things in the space and quickly respond and tell people what the fix is.

Tim: Streamline access to our infrastructure.


Deliberation[edit]

As of this meeting, nobody was blocked.

Ruth: no blocks no concerns.

john: no blocks no concerns.

LXPK: no blocks, concerned about biospace.

Ryan: no blocks, concerned about all 3 were recommended by Ruth primarily. It could seem like a power move to others looking at these notes. It was by all accounts not a power move at all because we are in desperate need of active members. A large number of people already thought they were already members. They have been all excellent to the community and space.

Ryan: All three all are now members their membership will be added to the private membership listing that theoretically exists. Their membership was condensed on December 3, 2019 at 10:00 AM (editor: PM?). I will be the witness to these events.

Short announcements and events[edit]

60-second description per item in bulletpoint.

Ryan- next tuesday before next general meeting is our annual board election. It will happen at noisebridge, not internet archive. All members that are not physically able to get to noisebridge (because of the elevator) can call their way in for this meeting.

Tyler: Saturday at 7:00PM will be the next NoiseBridge Comedy show

Tyler: Sunday at 6:00PM there will be a science fair

Ryan: noisebridgegaming archivists and bad dudes will be hosting a happy holi games indie showcase on december 28 6pm @ noisebridge


Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)


Participation[edit]

Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.

(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)


Philanthropists[edit]

A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)


New Philanthropists: Stephen present Richard is not here. Bris is not here.

Stephan's sponsor is Ryan.

Ryan: why do you want to become a philanthropist?

Stephan: I've been spending a lot of time at chico and in SF at different maker and hackerspaces and this one is the best and most stable. I like the environment here and I have skills to offer. I also like to work at night. and I'd like to be here late at night. I'm an artist. You'll see some crossover skills. I'll be doing laser training and want to know what is required to become a laser trainer. I have been trained on many other lasers.

Ryan: what improvement would you like to make to the space?

Stephan: An industrial purifier. I have one. I don't see anyone doing fire equipment checks. I'd like to help us with that. records are important. It is good to know if we are visited by the fire inspector. Let's get better records for our safety.

Tim: How do you close?

Stephan: make sure the laser and kiln and lights are out and take all of the people out that are not philanthropist, make sure door is locked.

Ryan: You are now a philanthropist Stephan!

Tim: Woot!

Tim signs as a witness to Stephan's philanthropist status confirmation.

Financial Report[edit]

  • Tyler: Updated access to Wells Fargo Bank account. The changes to the bank account will be as follows:
 * Tyler Maran will be added to the Wells Fargo account as an Administrator
 * Nicole Borgaard will be removed from the administrative role
 * John Shutt will remain in an administrative role
 * We will also remove all signors on the account except for Tyler Maran and John Shutt

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

Consensus[edit]

Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.

(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)


Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)

Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)

Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

Discussion Item 2[edit]

End of Meeting[edit]

meeting ended 10:45PM