Meeting Notes 2020 02 11

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search
These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge. 

help take notes at - https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting

Date:02/11/2020

Note-taker:

   Lee Azzarello
   Blake G.
   Reily
   (unspecified individual)

Moderators: Ryan

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New philanthropists:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Introductions[edit]

Ryan- (he/him) takes care of the VR space. It is moving from the back to the front. Jeremy- Electronic thing and lazers Anthony- (he) new in town. looking to present graph databases. NoSQL. Frank- Aquaponics meeting attendee. Physics, math. How to trade options? Looking for advice. Ama- Street Rats collective throwing a show on thursday Heidi- Leather machine also Street Rats. Looking to get to know you if you're doing a project. Lutie- Come to the show on thursday. Lee- member rockets and piano Blake aka cowlicks - Doing sewing and cryptography Victor- year and a half does comedy fundraiser, as well as software engineering Riley- interested in open source softare, does the book scanner Wheezy- he him does software Josheph- professor does tree mortality and did a burnig man event

Short announcements and events[edit]

60-second description per item in bulletpoint.

Ryan: Anyone have an announcment?

Street RATS! Here on this thursday. Mini market before the show. Anti valentines day. Brining people in to the space https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/268273299/ Weezy- you guys do punk! Street RAts: We're brinign underground local bands. Feel free to come network. We arent genre exlusve. This show is an ume album release. They describe as dreamo sludge. streetratzco@gmail.com

Lee: 4th matrix is production. Looking for extras in Alameda.

Ryan: Theyre shooting in SF too. Just fill out an online form. Here until March 1st at the least. Invited them to noisebridge! Really awesome. We are starting to move things around noisebridge again. Right now the lazer cutter has moved. VR will move to where the game archivist cabinet is. Metal shop to sparkle forge. Turing will had 3d print. And woodshop into church. Church into workshop. Woodshop needed better ventilation. So did the lazercutter.

Anthony Bought a zooms6 would like a chance to record if anyone wants it.

Ryan: We want a proper recording room.



Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)

Its not just about existing in the space it is about going beyond, its about stepping into conflit to mediate, to become a pillar.

Heidy Recognising when youu mess up and learning from it

Ryan: we have a strict anti harassment policy. Phsyical mental emotional. Not tolerated! We are a brave space we are not a perfectly safe space. We want people to discuss ethics. Discuss difficult topics here. We want to . Its excellent to take care of youself, the space, to teach events and call out not excellent things. Its excellent to call out unexcellence.


Participation[edit]

Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.

(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)

Ryan:

Frank: First you come and then you get the tour. Get to know the place, people get to know you. If you want a token for the space, a philantropist++ can grant a 30 day token. Any philanthopist can renew it

Anthony: For digiital you can join the slack. Get an invite and participate.

Ryan: Participation can also be teaching or taking a class at nb. Aswell as the forum system discuss.noisebridge.info People should use it over slack.

Blake: The idea is to discourage people just being users of noisebridge. Give something if you take something. Give back what youre able to.

Money, Time, Take out the trash is huge.

Be an organizer of a small part of the space. All parts of the space could use help.


Philanthropists[edit]

A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)

A Philanthropist is encouraged to donate. we don't have a pay gate to donate, it is best to be exellent. close up shop you are granted 24 hour access to you should have everyone else leave the space.

There needs to be at least 1 philanthropist/member in the space at all times. Fill out a green form (they are green now!) get sponsored by a member.

Philantropist need to be granted special ability to grant the 30 day access.

Philantropist need to be able to close AND open the space.

Will get a closing tour. Feel free to drop in to learn how to close and open.

TLDR: things can cause a fire. Check spaces. Make sure no one is hiding. No spidermans!

Close the windows and door. All lkights off. Laser cutter off.

Flaschentachen is 200w for every hour. It turns itself off. But it had been 3 years before that was implemented.

Dont let the back toilet flush all night. Water bill can be crazy. 3000$ personal water bill. Changin designation increases cost.

Blake: can we move on.


So victor you want to be

a philantropist.

Victor is applying. Sponser is RYAN STERLICHT.

Grill Victor with questions.


Ryan why do you want to be a philanthropist: Victor- I"ve been coming here for 9 months. I like showing this place off. I'm running a fundraiser. I have been doing duties already with this space already.

Blake- Have you ever thrown anyone out? Victor- Yes some guy came in the elevator. The guy said he knew the owner, then he gathered that this person does not belong becasue he doesn't understand things. We gathered some people and convinced him to leave

Ryan- What improvements to the space would you like to see/ enact yourself.

Victor- Make the stage area more oganized so that more events can take place here. I definately want more taking out the trash and organizing waste. Lots of dead projects that stop people from hacking in certain areas.

Anthony- What are some of the  plhilanthropiist management things you have participated in 

Victor Tours, Donating monthly, Conflict resolution, and cleaning/organizing.

Up for philanthopy Blake all oposed for victors philanthropy .... (unrelated) bernies won new Hampsure Bernie sanders IS A MEMBER. Honarary. Retroacitvely granted 3 centuries ago Bernie will be granted mythical noisecoin


Membership Binder [edit]

Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)


Ryan: Like philanthropist but suckier, lot more responisbilities, you are more acountable.

Lee- Participate in Capital C consenus. Big ticket items like bans. Money deals. Moving big shit in the space. Members weigh in every tuesday meeting. New space movement was a consensu. Members can make new members. So theres a stork and, the birds and the bees.

Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.


  • Funds in bank:

$145,000 Cash in the bank $11,000 BTC + Ethereum Low point of past year as we finily paid back a few fiscal sponsership goups, we did all our finacial duties for the govenrment we theorectical broke even last year 2k a month. We're doing ok but we might have major problem soon.

We break even every year.

NB costs. 7k rent. very least 1k in expenses per month. We break even if we dont count large donations or events which we get 1-2 a month.

maybe 10k monthly revenue. Very good month 12. Summer makes more but costs more to run. Past year had huge cost. 50k ish. Back paid 20k to a number of plaves that used us a sponserships. Large lazer cutter costs and consultancy.

None if that is liquid. Some set aside for fines and things. More to come. NB in hot water again.

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

Our only consistent fundraiser is the monthly Hack comedy event. If you want to have one. Please have one. Adds about 500 to income can offset electrical or trash bill.

GuildMaster's Report[edit]

What is the current state of structural organization at Noisebridge?

  • What are the guilds? Which ones exist?
  • How is our online community doing?
  • Guild Rep's Reports

We're trying to designate bureaucrats that people need to.... guilds are incharge of certain spaces or groups. Ryan is part of the VR guild.

Gaming, sewing, electronic guilds exist. Gives you someone to contact related to a given subject. Helps which classes are doing well and what they need.

Lutie: Idea -- guilds sound segregated. Have you thought about having physical items to signify membership to mutliple guilds. Archguildmaster Mark: Yes. Physical AND digital. If you'd like to be a part of said t, come hang out with meta guild! #guilds on Slack

Interguild collabs can be facilitated with guild communication. Need to define what guilds, who is inchargeof an individual guild, how do they report. Go through arch guildmasters. comes to meeting to give a report. Guide that community.

Still early stage concept.

Question: How to join a guild? A: Just Declare it. And talk to the guildmaster or a listed "maintainer" if said guild already exists.

Being a guild master right now doesnt require anything but we want you to own that section of the wiki and corespond to arch guild master.

Consensus[edit]

Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.



Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)

Riley: Small C means you asked every around if you want to do something. If everyones cool, go ahead and do it. Such as, moving the flachen. Some people might be upset, but no finacnes are involved.

Moving a table is a good example of small C.

Big C is stuff that needs burocratics

Existential things are Big C consensus. Adding members ect.

Who can block a big C? Another Member. Grid lock ensues. But discussion continuses

Anyone can proplse a big C concensus item. Items should be written in the form of a proposal.

Big C is a two week process. Dont blind side peopl at the beginning.

Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)

No items in the binder.

Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

- un-banning Rayc (aka Robert Chu) 10 minutes

BLAKE: My favorite. Blessed robert Chu should come back to noisebridge. Banned in 2014 for sleeping on the elevator. He was never dangerous. Hes a great contributor. When I first came in 2011 he would motivate everyone. Here on trashnights. He kept the space clean. Got a lot of energy. He was homeless. He got banned from omni. Unbanned from Sudo Room in2017. Common friednly face. He contirbutes alot. Give him another chance.

Contentious last time. but its been 6 years. 2014 was before the hard rule of no sleeping at nb. He created the rule. Several have tried to live at nb. incuding and alex, "Tony", an Robert Chu. Tony Slept UNDER the elevator years ago. Ended being trapped under the elevator. Had to literally dig himself out after two days trapped.

Rayc has given to much. Its a travesty he cant come back. He would only contribute.

He has positive history in the space.

Ryan: This should be brought up on slack or discuss. If he was unbanned at sudo room. Its good extremely good precedence for us unbanning.

Blake: Vouching for Rayc to be unbanned. Rayc wasnt ever violent, he left whenver he was asked. Not a bad guy.

Ryan: Major discussion about the 86 page and how to ban and unban. If no one raises issue in next week. Next tuesday meeting we can take him off the 86 and formally let him back in the space. Still no naps. Living out of the space is not cool. Jeopardizes noisebridge. Living here is unexcellent. But he sounds generally excellent. Bring the issue up to slack and discuss for one week.

Discussion Item 2[edit]

- Ryan: noisebridge in hot water 30 minutes

Ryan: Quickly. NB is probably going to need to move. We need tos tart the process. Need to find new long term housing. Land lord hit with an issue that brought him to court. Due to NB. Even though we were going to extend the 4 year lease. At the moment it has fell through. For now he doesnt want to sign the full lease extension. Prelim lease right now.

For NB to stay. most likely we'd have to pay for a fire sprinkler upgrade. Current est at 150k. Thats why nb finaces arent liquid. In order to renew the lease. Landlord will let the building become delapidated. Landlord doesnt want 7k. If this building wanted to be legal it needs 1mil.

Sweat equity? Not legal.

Reneging the fire improvement. We need to do that before sparkleforge can be fully legally sanctioned as a retro fit to this bulding. For this building to make the sprinkler firecode we need them to do street construction. New pip and the basement needs to be retro fitted which it does not have.

Does inspection cost? Inspections cost 1k an hour at the very least. The elevator was 1k and hour minimum. Closer to 5k an hour cause of ours. We have the funds, but we dont know if we want to relocate. with 150k we can do a year and a half at 10k a month. We have a multiple occasions found places we like for 10k a month. problem is we have regular monthly expenditures. Depending on location can be more or less.

Look around SF for buildings. 2 blocks of BART in SF. ada accesable or modifiable to ada. Which we fell out of cause of elevator.

Have we thought about moving from SF. We dont want to encroach. We are the only open space in SF. We started many Coop open spaces. We want to be in SF. Talk to people who might be interested in grants.

Discussion thread to come for locations. Maybe revitalize the slack channel.

Discussion Item 3[edit]

Cal Fire grant 15 minutes

Ryan: Noisebrige might assist. Resident knowledgable person. Joseph Joseph: We are working on a grant with cal fire to create a sawmill in the awbury area. I work in tree mortality. Sequestor the carbon in geometric useful objects. We are asking nb for a collab to partner with our nonprofits weedly college in fresno and oakdale cc. 4 in the area that are a consortium. We applying for acalfire grant. Would like nb to write in a peace about engineering. I have the prelim designs. Showed to Ryan. Sepcific requirements of engineering. I would write in the contract that usc would check the specs so we're all on the same page. You guys decide who would work on it and for how long and we would submit the grant request. Showed ryan the work we submitted to cal fire. Ryan: NB does not have any actual employees as a nonprofit. We would have to, if we were considered a line item we would have to designate how noisebridge would give those funds to the people working on it. NB would be the distributor of these funds to ppl at nb. to do this work. ppl at nb can take on tasks that nb can delgate. not done before. Could be a good example of our use as an educational non profit. Nb can grant coupons for music equipment. This is a very interesting prospect. Please talk to me or Joseph about what we need to write up. We need to write up what nb would be doing and howd we designate funds. Divied up by nb or nb would buy products to test. Or to build. Ive done wood mill research. How will we use these funds to to research, build, design the mill.

Joseph: Demoing the geometric wood puzzle. You can see our approach of doing more with less. All the pieces are exactly alike. Anyone at burning man 2013? We built the temple then. My friend designed this before tehre was a computer to do it. The challenge is you have to know the principles. We can use this to heal our own land. Im in the office of the Dean at usc. NB participation is very specific. To build a portal saw mill ina container. Site in awbury.


Discussion Item 4[edit]

eleven capital; finance 5 minutes Frank recieved a call from Eleven Capital finance. They broker ~100 firms that loan money for mortgages. Frank got a personal email...warm lead. Sent to treasurer email. Contact on 2/11/2020 Frank was contacted mid day 02/11/2020.

Not suprising that people who sell loans are reaching out.

Sounds like the correct peopl have been informed.

Discussion Item 5[edit]

concerns for show on thursday 10 minutes

First things first. We wanted to know approx how late we can stay here. We think the midnight cutoff but if thats too late. Let us know. Its ok as long as you clean up. Ryan will be there till 1am.

Question: is there a list, if you have an idea of what you dont want otb e touched. Like what is off limits when we set up.

Do you have a set up leasonn yet?

No.

Vnedors start at 6. Show starts at 7-730. We will be done by midnight. We will do most the set up. Just need to know what not to touch.

Last detail. There will be filming at the show

You need to put up the recording in progress sign.

Blake can come in at 4 on thursday. Need to move the tables and the hackers.

will be taken offline


oflineeeeeeeeee done

End of Meeting[edit]