Meeting Notes 2020 08 18

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search

Manual | Visitors | Participation | Community Standards | Channels | Operations | Edit

Participation | Excellence | Do-ocracy | Consensus | Joining | Meetings | Events | Edit

Meetings | Template | Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Edit

These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge.


  • Date: 18th day of August in the year MMXX
  • Note-taker: lxpk
  • Moderators: X

Meeting Summary[edit]

FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary. TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New philanthropists:
  • New members:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:



Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

(What does that mean?

Excellence is about caring for yourself, others, the space, and the community, it is about calling out when you see something wrong, and being available to help others. Being excellent can be doing things like taking out the trash, fixing a broken machine, cleaning up one of the areas, etc. As long as you follow the one rule (be excellent to eachother), you will be welcome at noisebridge. We also have a Strict antiharassment policy, so if you are making people feel harassed through your actions, you will be asked to leave. We also have a brave space policy for situations that might make people uncomfortable , but should be discussed in ouur space, or our space is one of the few pplaces where people fell comfortable having a event that might be considered controversial.


Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.

How we doin it virtually while we sort out two spaces physically.

...and the website/wiki (What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)

There are many ways to participate at noisebridge both in person and online, you can host a class, take a class, build a project, join a meeting, do whatever you want as long as you follow our one rule and understand how doocracy and small c concens work. As long as everyone feels comfortable with what you are doing you can participate in any manner. if you can not make it to the space you can participate online in one of our many communities.

Guilds Definition[edit]

Guilds are how groups at noisebridge organize.

(What is a guild? How do you join one? etc)

Save updates for Guild Master report section later in meeting.

Philanthropist definition[edit]

A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)

Membership Definition[edit]

Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)


Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.

(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)



  • Pyconaut- He him, doing 3d modeling, VR, preparing to maybe build a crane for noisebridge, currently in tahoe.
  • relay: I study free and open source alternatives and make FOSS scripts
  • rikke: she/her working on accessibility stuff and space planning.
  • Ⅹ - space hacker, probably around space(s) Thursday, then out of town till 26th
  • nthmost - she/her or whatever - WE MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYTHONS
  • lxpk - VR/Gamebridge also note taking
  • christine: hanging out! hung out at the space a lot before COVID. Studying longevity research. Joined NB, heard about it a while from friends in Europe. They have hackerspaces in Norway. Cooler than school and more comfortable.
  • Robert Robot: he him. Work on electronics in the space. Want to make a trash robot so we don't have to worry about the trash!
  • Dan: Been doing weekly meetups with neurohacking on Wednesday for many years at( Noisebridge. Also been looking at 272 Capp and doing meetups there!
  • Iceaax: Or Aaron. He him. Hack on robotics. Friends and I invited to battlebots TV show. Hack on 3D printing, game dev and music.

Short announcements and events[edit]

  • Noisebridge needs to file it's SI-100 with the state of california (due 10-31-2020, X will follow up on requirements.
  • Noisebridge Board Election Announcement - we should totally do this so that our filing above is up to date.
  • Noisebridge will soon have moving shirts for people who want to help with our move. Tyler finished them, not in Threadless store yet. Stickers also.
  • There are 3 keys to 272 Capp floating, X has one, Tyler's is at 2169, and there is one spare at Capp. (I would like keys, i have keys to neither at the moment. --nthmost)

New Philanthropists[edit]


New Members[edit]


Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

  • Funds in bank:
  • 8/18/2020
  • Cash: 214,994
  • Crypto: 73,890
  • Total: 288,884

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

We should start thinking about some kind of online celebration for our move wherein we do a fund drive. Maybe.

GuildMaster's Report[edit]

What is the current state of structural organization at Noisebridge?

  • What guilds are active? (Read the active guilds from Guilds wiki page)

Philosophy Guild update:

The Philosophy Guild has moved its meetings into "The Listening Society" voice channel on Discord. We like Discord better, it feels more fluid. You can take persistent notes from the meeting right in the same app where the video chat is taking place.

The Philosophy Guild has convinced the Keepers of Discord to invent a Discord role called "Metageneticist". The Metageneticist on Discord has the magic power of being able to upload emojis on Discord. One can earn this fantastic power through the Philosophy Guild. There may be other ways to earn this power but the Philosophy Guild only knows of one way.

Accessability Guild Update:

   *lxpk: Meeting and discussion about upgrades, more updates next week.
   *Rikke: Initial conversation with CASP inspector pending


Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)


Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)



Discussion Item ADA Bathroom and Doors[edit]

  • Current modified plan: Remove the ADA bar from old NB for one side of toilet, and install a new folding bar for the other side as some people need both and some people need just 1. $290
  • We reduced from 3 doors to just 2 electronic doors removing one of the front ones during the move for convenience. $1300 now.
  • panic bar won't work on front door which opens in. It has to be flipped to be considered emergency exit.
  • bathroom floor plan space is sufficient for ADA requirements. Checking if door is ok to swing through clear area as it removes the clearance area inside, possibly needs reversing also. Layout:
  • Door installations should be run by contractors for correct installation guidance and possible part discounts.
  • doors ARE wide enough.
  • final recommendations hopefully next week, come to Friday accessibility meetings 6PM on Discord.
  • floor install in concrete harder than wall.

Discussion Item 2169 Mission[edit]

I made a Notion tracker for this whole packing/moving/building nonsense. --nthmost

  • 30 Day Notice given Saturday! Comms with landlord, Tyler says we have 30 days to get stuff out or pay rent. Discussion about elevator functional to help us move out. They're talking to OTIS.
  • Elevator:
   * Pyconaut: If we can't get elevator timely working to move out, we will want to move heavy things out differently. Thinking of ...
   * X: What can we do in the next 2 weeks?
   * Pyconaut: I want to show it quickly so I can get it done within 2 weeks. This is a cantilevered gib crane that could lower 5-600 pounds safely out the back window. Everything but the laser cutter and vending machine. Table saws, CNC, kiln, etc. will work. Prebuilt costs $4K but we have bar at NB to build it for $500ish parts. Should we put energy into this in parallel with trying to get elevator to work?
   * X: You need to stand at window and look at logistics of it but currently you can just about get a 500 gallon bucket out window. If you take window out you can get about 2 feet etc. as they're not big windows. Great for dropping boxes of books and things but large objects may not fit. Floor door is 3 foot wide to get through.
   * X: Back window is limiting factor, tall but narrow. When I get back to SF I'll 3D model the new space and stop by the old to get measurements. Zipline makes sense for light things but typically can only carry 20-30 pounds safely.
  • Packing/Moving Plan
   * X: Back to packing and moving, we have these proposals to talk about ziplining and craning now. Current space, there are more things to pack and move. Some people here have been doing that. Flaschentaschen needs breaking down. Anyone currently doing any moving want to give an update and thoughts?
   * nthmost: Flasch still needed breakdown, nobody had taken it on yet. Riley and Sophie were there. Library shelves need breaking down.
   * lxpk: We have a volunteer list of people who want to help move?
   * Pyconaut: We can send out a new one with new questions.
   * Lxpk: Can we set some daytime hours that people can sign up for that will be move times?
   * nthmost: Suddenly super gung ho because on sunday it wasn't clear what could be done. Heaps of stuff and it just needs to be parceled out and 4 people to break down shelves for example. It should feel more festival and we can make that happen.
   * Lxpk: The shirts for movers are a great way to amp the energy.
   * Nthmost: Ordering food.
   * Stack: X, robot, pyconaut.
   * X: Been packing and moving as well. Focused on mission, trying more and more to focus on what's next at Capp. Would be great if hand full of people designated as contacts for different parts of the space. Woodshop is cleaned out now mostly, someone could wind it down and move onto another area. We could work in smaller teams and spread things out so we don't need tons of people in space at once but have different focuses for different areas on different days.
   * Robot: Been packing electronics. More to packcc. Little things. Definitely figuring out how to organize going forward. Want people to feel comfortable to come in knowing it is organized. Having new space open would be awesome as well. If we had zipline up we could start sending things over instead of touching things over and over.
   * pyconaut: Reminder: Even though we want people to be happy, food has contact involved so having people bring food is safer but we could have party for movers after. Dangerous to have people share food other than bottled water. We need to have people move in teams of 4 or so rotated every day.
   * nthmost: When I said we should designate spaces for people to move into, it should have a landing zone.
   * X: I get it. Initial thing we talked about is having 1 general space. Other thing is the timing for the move. We want time to do it but not move things twice and not occupy everything in the space so we can do modifications we can. Let's close out preparing to move at mission and move onto the capp side. Packing has had hygiene supplies at mission, working bathrooms, space to spread out. Striving for same or better at 272 but whoever is coordinating the other side who has ideas could help organize same safety precautions.
   * pyconaut: my  2169  plan is to work on crane build parts, purchases, feasibility plan for window removal.
   * Dan: Let's open up explicit discussion about number of people capp can acomodate safely. We're currently limited to 4 by consensus but people seem comfortable with 5 or 6. Options to do more at Capp but there is a limit and I get nervous with more than 6.
   * X: Mission vs capp?
   * Dan: Mission 4 is fine but Capp has 2 floors and either can accomodate 3 simultaneously and a couple working outside. From what I've seen, people are comfortable seeing more than 4 because there's plenty of room so we should proba bly talk about what makes sense. We might be able to accomodate a few more people at capp than at mission.
   * X: Let's close out the mission side now. Can anyone carry forward a 30 day strategy for getting everything out of Mission Street so we don't havee to pay more rent there. Does anyone want to volunteer to plan that part?
   * Nthmost: Happy to do that.
   * Relay: What is the list we need to get done?
   * Nthmost: I've been adding to the list the whole time on Notion.
   * X: Working on 1 doc to the notes. Can we add a link to it in the meeting notes?
   * Nthmost: Adding links to discussion item and at bottom.
   * X: Who else is around to help with mission move? Robert is asking to be added. What is the scope you're trying to capture there?
   * Nthmost: Screen will answer. Making rolling outline of everything we've been talking about. Made project board with Invasion Schedule.
   * Pyconaut: We're Guests and can't see that.
   * Nthmost: I'll fix that in a bit. Toggle lists of things [to do]. Put in stuff we talked about for Mission St. Made cards for things like needing crane. Tasks created have outlines to fill in steps  to implement. Ryan when you go in you can flesh out the crane steps. Beginnings of structure to organize the move.
   * X:  Get volunteer list from Ryan so we can reach out to people saying "Hey we're doing a thing, connect through this thing".
   * Pyconaut: Split volunteer message into sections for people. Questionnaire asks what team people want to help with and ask time.
   * Nthmost: We don't have time for meetings.
   * X: Right now, just ask are you available when to come pack and clean and sort.
   * Lxpk: When I saw the timeboxes I assumed it was for asking people to actually show up for moving shifts.
   * X: Let's get this done tonight and get it out this week.
   * Pyconaut: How worried are we about buildout compared to moving?
   * X: Start with just moving. We'll broaden the calls for volunteers. Always want hands to pack and move and will broaden later.
   * Nthmost: We can reduce to "Hey there's a build day, can you come and show up"?
   * Pyconaut: Can't have too many people show up.
   * Nthmost: 4 seemed arbitrary?
   * X: I don't let more than 4 come in at once. Get responses and work it out with people.
   * Rikke: If every time slot is filled it will get done.
   * Nthmost: If you get people really specific time slots fewer people may show up. Moving also requires people outside so we can assembly line people beyond 4 to help outside to move things to capp st. So we can creatively use more than 4 people showing up. Overemphasis on only 4 limits us outside the space. Lucky if more people show up.
    * Lxpk: What needs to be decided still?
    * X: We have a list of deconstruction things to get to, such as removing the grab bars from Miission St. Broader deconstruction plan, what else we can take, we can do it next week unless someone has something right now.
    * Nthmost: Let's say we get volunteers on friday/saturday/
    * Lxpk: We said so far we'd unload upstairs to avoid clogging downstairs.
    * Nthmost: We can cordon unloading zones.
    * X: At least a week of packing breaking down before mass moving over begins. Ground floor middle could be general store/sort area. Stacks of tables are there already. Specific light things can go middle room upstairs.
    * Nthmost: can we tape off areas that say "put library stuff here" etc.
    * X: We'll do that. How many and how big roughly should we start with?
    * Nthmost: Square footage wise each?
    * Pyconaut: Yeah. We can section into piles in 272 capp to make it easier before we move stuff into its final spot once we decide it. 
    * X: We're movinge into the 272 capp discussion. Items include fire safety etc. Do we wrap now or hit on other things?
    * lxpk: Can we itemize them at least and then decide then?
    * X: We're picking up on the last item in that list. Let's put the first items here.  
  • De-Construction
    • Bathroom grab bars
    • Lights
    • Electrical

Discussion Item 272 Capp[edit]

  • Initial Stuff Move In
  • Basic Fire Safety
  • Water/Utilities
  • Key/Access Control
  • Space Planning next ~30 days
  • X: How many specific spaces cordoned off do we want vs general space? Books, electronics, sewing, etc.
  • x: I did a brief version of this list today.
  • Pyconaut: Library shoudl be taped 2nd floor middle room. Sewing electronics woodshop etc. taped on first floor.
  • Lxpk: Cause heavy right?
  • Pyconaut: yeah. Library may end up being on 2nd floor eventually.
  • X: Front end of 2nd floor out of way and room to sort them.
  • Pyconaut: Music can go upstairs. Top back room may end up being recording room.
  • X: Stuff to pick up on between this and next meeting. Consensus exists to identify pack and prep things for where it goes next meeting. I can set up slots in the space to be built upon.


  • X: Fixtures at capp aren't perfect. Exits are labeled. 2 extinguishers we still need more. We should buy some sooner than later. Fire exit corridor needs panic bar back door and actual exit is blocked by parked vehicles sometimes so we should note for people primary exit is one you came in on. People should know egress plan and not block fire exits.
  • Pyconaut: Front door needs to work as fire escape. How hard is it to make end stop to open out?
  • X: It's jenk and not suitable for mods. A luggage strap on a pipe behind door makes it easy to hook door open for now when someone in space.
  • While moving roll up door open might make sense for air flow.
  •  ?: Open it and close it slowly.
  • X: We don't currently have running water. Left bucket of water to allow flushing but not convenient. Electricity needs to be converted to us without outages. Have not come up with clear access policy / use plan for capp. One key we've passed around and made more copies of. We might be opener Octoberish but right now we're moving out of Mission and preparing for what we want to turn it into.
  • Let's scope the work and manage it given circumstances. Working on floor plan and safety side. Want to sync up with anyone who will be around while I'm away for a few days.
  • Pyconaut: Send me floorplans you've finished for my 3D model and floorplans. Want to compare mine to yours. Got laser measurement system to take decent measurements. Want to see yours.

Safety and numbers of people in the space, current noisebridge consensus is no more than 4 people. Discussion of potentially 6 people at Capp, 3 or 4 per floor. Consideration of Noisebridge policy per consensus of 4 per floor which could create a limit of 8 people at Capp street.

End of Meeting[edit]