Meeting Notes 2021 07 27

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search

These are the notes from the The 638th Meeting of Noisebridge.

Date: 2021_07_27


Previous Meeting

Next Meeting


Note-taker: lizzard

Moderators: Sophia

Meeting Summary[edit]

TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update
  • * We brought in a little over a hundred dollars from donation boxes
  • * Members are starting to set up their donations again
  • Announcements:
  • Dave b - This Thursday 6pm! having another attempt at metal pylon dismantling party! at 6pm We need help, please come help!
  • Lizzard - sailorhg's mural party / art opening Aug 14 3-5pm Must be masked indoors
  • sophia - if you are or were a philanthropist sophia can give you a tour tonight after the meeting of openin and closeing the space and then you can get your key. then you can come in and also help us hold the space open for more hours!
  • X - Victor says, hack comedy Aug 21st is the tenative date
  • Rayyan - Blender 3d animation class! Sunday! Sunday what time??? Afternoon, 1-3pm (https://discuss.noisebridge.info/t/in-person-blender-3d-animation-classes-noisebridge-sunday-afternoon-weekly/2544)
  • Finances:
  • * 7/27/2021
  • * Cash: 304,807.92
  • * Crypto: 128,414.49
  • * Total: 433,222.41
  • New members: Sophia Wisdom
  • New philanthropists: none but one new application in binder from Dave
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:
  • we need people to step up and hold the space open for more days/times
  • if you would like to run a class, online or in the space, please do! announce it on meetup + the wiki + discuss etc.
  • we need someone to run board elections
  • surveillance cameras, what's up with that
  • Haight St. Commons coming here to meet maybe

Introductions[edit]

  • sophia - she/her moderating, does sewing! also do computer stuff!
  • Dave b - he/him i do computer stuff and the door
  • Steve he/him - physicist and developer and scientist and stuff
  • danny - he - decenteralize the internet
  • ed - software engineer - carpentry dabbler
  • patrick - computer stuff 3js - visual arts - sewing!
  • lizzard - they - computer stuff, writing fucking around
  • dan - noisebridge - get people involved in teaching - learning how to teach
  • X - trying to make the meeting work for folks online
  • Wesley - helping with woodworking & stuff enjoyed it last week -
  • Milo - N/A
  • TJ (evil twin: JT) - And that's all! thank you!
  • Paul - been on the internet longer than a lot of people, decentralized stuff, general messing around
  • Relay - helps with random things around noisebridge
  • Online people!
  • Rayyan - he/him - work with computer languages and research into them. hydroponics in the past, interested in a blender 3d animation class (Class proposal is sunday afternoon weekly - on discuss
  • Franklin - from seattle, interesting in hinternet and creating hackerspace in seattle
  • Jared - he/him - being more involved in noisebridge
  • Carl - HI!!!!!!
  • Tiffany - hello, would like to continue discussion of board election!
  • Mark - do video games stuff, hoping to get started on organizational stuff again sometime soon


Short announcements and events[edit]

  • Dave b - This Thursday 6pm! having another attempt at metal pylon dismantling party! at 6pm We need help, please come help! Please tell dave b or lizzard if you can come so we know that we have enough people :)
  • Lizzard - sailorhg's mural party / art opening Aug 14
  • sophia - if you are or were a philanthropist sophia can give you a tour tonight after the meeting of openin and closeing the space and then you can get your key. then you can come in and also help us hold the space open for more hours!
  • TJ - speaking of events, when could we schedule hack comedy
  • X - Victor says, hack comedy Aug 21st is the tenative date
  • Rayyan - Blender 3d animation class! Sunday! Sunday what time??? Afternoon, 1-3pm (https://discuss.noisebridge.info/t/in-person-blender-3d-animation-classes-noisebridge-sunday-afternoon-weekly/2544)


Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)

  • Danny - Be excellent to each other Be respectful of other people, you can hack everything but understand other people have feelings too, even if you don't , don't treat them like the robot you would like to program
  • Respect people's boundaries more or less and read the anti harrasment policy on the wiki


Participation[edit]

Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.

(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)

  • Everyone can participate!
  • to get a door key - Become a philanthropist, then take a short tour to learn how to open and close the space. NO SPOILERS READ THE NEXT SECTION!
  • access to slack/discuss/discord: we have 3 online things. we have a slack, a discuss, and a discord.
  • discuss: anyone can access. discuss.noisebridge.info
  • slack: if you've come around a few times, we can put you on slack. ask someone to put in an invite on the #slack-invite channel. Talk to danny about this.
  • discord: there's a big fat link on our main wiki page that says discord here. it's open to anyone.

Philanthropists[edit]

A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)

  • Dave b - to become a phil, find a member to vouch for you. this used to be a long process, but now everyone knows who the members are. being a phil is a lot of responsibility, we ask you to do a bunch of stuff. you take responsibility for the space: leaving the space is good hands or making sure it's locked up. generally, you should to be around.
  • other dave is interested
  • no new philanthropist applications this week

Membership Binder [edit]

Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)

  • basically the same as philanthropy, fill out the membership form, in addition to philanthropist stuff you can block Consensus. It takes 4 meetings to become a member so that people can know you're becoming a member and block. The process is on the wiki.
  • Current membership applications:
  • Sophia

"I'd like to represent the newer members of the space" sewing area and giving tours and the like sponsored by steve and lizzard Steve asks, what does anarchy mean to you in the context of the space? Sophia answers it is a bit like doocracy Steve asks what danny and lizzard think about this since we are OLD Danny says he wrote about this in a zine once. never super politically anarchistic, it's about the same level of anarchistness as you get in a wiki that is self organized, attempt to replicate the nice aspect of the internet something IETF engineer we don't believe in kings and presidents we belive in rough consensus and A TRUCK WENT BY Liz says kinda like the self-organized wiki stuff. they've not read a ton of anarchist stuff. they like riot grrl-style anarchy where it's largely self-declared. doesn't mean violence and disrespect, means respect and mutuality and negotiation. one of the things they love about noisebridge. uneasy interface (the board) with the outside world, but we make our own little bubble with not laws but guidelines and norms that the people who show up make up and behave by Steve looks at anarchy as what happens when no one tells you what to do. humans do want to get along and they build social capital for themselves they do things for the rest of their tribe that the rest appreicate and respect them for In that context people doing stuff and no one is in charge. We should disallow violence to get social control. doing things for the community that get you respect has always been a thing. come in and use our wifi and hang out, but if you do something for the space. danny: what's your favorite color sophia: i dont really have one. working backwards it's kind of blue. TJ : what's the airspeed of an unladen swall

  • Franklin: African or European?
  • Lizzard:does anyone block sophia become a member
  • Mark: apologize if not super well though out kind of a deep topic

But can you describe what kind of thing that might make you block? that are bigger than typical consensus things

  • Sophia - i haven't seen that many consensus items. moving, closing down the space, reducing number of people in space from pandemic. there haven't been that many. It would have to be , presumably i've debated against it and my thing has failed and everyone is against me and yet i still feel i have to block, it's hard to imagine what that would be. Maybe really bad uses of the space's money. If we were going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a new laser cutter or something like that. I might block for a week in order to have more debate but not indefinately. Awful uses of the space's money.
  • Mark - I'm hearing, like, rash behavior. thanks for answering!
  • Mark - ffor example remote accessiblity stuff by Zach. we sholud read up on recen tblocks.
  • TJ - summary, big c conssensus about putting signs about accessibility and rulees about them and it was blocked in that we should just do it in a small C way and not a big C way.
  • Steve - reminds us that the person leaves for discussion
  • X points out sofia left her laptop unlocked
  • SECRET DISCUSSION
  • TJ is also up for membership with this being meeting 3
  • X asks TJ what makes excellent member
  • tj - someone who wants to give back to the space. this last few months it's a great opportunity to get involved and give back, you can see who is excellent person because they help out.
  • TJ applications
   * i'd like to start a robotics club, get more involved in circuit hacking, get more philanthropists to become members
   * taught a robotics class in before times, hosted saturday buildouts




Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

  • Funds in bank:
   7/27/2021
   Cash: 304,807.92
   Crypto: 128,414.49
   Total: 433,222.41
   
   WOOO BITCOIN BACK TO $40K
   

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

  • more donors now than last month - lizzard has been emailng people
  • Note from sophia - if you work at a big company you can use benevity, matching donations!
  • Can treasurer give us periodic (monthly is good) statements of what we are pulling in donations from stripe, paypal, patreon, benevity, etc?
  • We don't have as much coming in as we are spending (On Rent).
  • X - door expense we can deduct from rent
  • Lizzard has to get all those expenses rolled together and send them to the landlord + photos before and after. broken door, fixed door, receipts
  • Dave - we need to be open more days, to get more people coming in to get more members to get more donations
  • guy next to lizzard - what can we do to help?
  • Dan - become a philanthropist. Some thing about a suggestion about accounting for volunteer contributions The real value is value added to the space!
  • Dave B - if anyone want to volunteer you can make a talking stick so we dont have this meeting issue
  • by talking stick do you mean a MICROPHONE


Consensus[edit]

Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.

(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)

Consensus is how we change things! Two types small c and big c You want to do something, jut like talk to peopel and try to make sure you arent pissing anyone off Big C is Oh let's buy a big old laser printer or something huge, write up a consensus proposal, make it coherent ,


Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)

  • X might do hambridge proposal in a month or so

Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)

  • Stack

Discussion[edit]

Discussion item 1: Opening up Sunday[edit]

  • sophia - we are open a few afternoons and one evening. We should open more hours!
  • Is anyone willing to open the space on Sunday? hang around day or a buildout day
  • Sophia is doing friday. lizzard is doing Tues. TJ - Saturday.
  • Relay volunteers to do Sunday 1-5 Hurrah!!!!
  • * TJ to put that info on meetup, lizzard will put on wiki
  • dave b - as a reminder for people opening you don't have to have the door totally open. you can have a couple of people here and it's easier to support the space and rely on people to ring the doorbell then you don;'t have to guard the front.
  • Rayyan wants to start blender class on sunday - until 4pm


Discussion item 2: Classes[edit]

  • we should do more classes, sophia wishes for a sewing class
  • The first class could be a peer learning experience
  • someone suggests mission backpacks?
  • ktyle? eli? makes sailcloth bicycle bags. eli Sakov is the wrong eli, who also likes sewing but .....that is redhead 3d printer eli. Does anyone know his contact info???
  • is it kyle or eli?
  • Rayyan has suggestions for who oculd teach a sewing class, there's a sewing room, there's 3 people that could teach
  • we could have wood shop classes, metal shop, what else? music? electronics!
  • Open invitation for people to come teach classes or workshops here!!!
  • Quick workshops would be good as well, just a few people
  • blender 3d animation class sundays 1-3
  • * we would like to have some computers we can use for this class
  • * rayyan would like to come in this week and look at whatever computers we have
  • * dave - we may not have like, a class room with workstations right now . we have some computers that could be assembled and stuff. you would need to do some buildout to get some working computers. Better to ask people to bring their own laptops
  • * are there gamebridge computers? Berni mentions that there are some with Blender installed on them. Setting up workstations can be a discussion for the future.
  • Rayyan looking at streaming infrastructure

Discussion item 3: mural party[edit]

  • sailorhg 's mural - Aug 14 - she will show up sAturday 1pm to do cleaning and setup
  • her mural is done or is done by aug 14. will show up at 1pm and do decorations and then party starts at 3pm. shed like to have people come in and be masked and celebrate the mural and stuff.
  • Steve - delta is spiking, who knows where it will be by then. for the reputation of the space is that it would be cool for sailor mercury to formally inform everyone who comes to it that covid delta is spiking you should probably wear a mask and noisebridge isn't responsible if you get sick.
  • Lizzard - good point and we can ddo that
  • dave - static signage etc, posters, signs, let's not get in people's faces about it. someone volunteer to make signage!
  • Steve will do that!
  • think of it as good for donations, more people involved in the space, we need good ambassadors
  • is she still planning on cookies? probably
  • Liz. food will be outside
  • people to help out: Liz, Steve, Sophia, TJ


Stack -

Discussion item 4: better surveillance[edit]

  • thinking about survaeillance... always thinking about making sure there's no one in here when everyone leaves. how do we make sure of this. lets talk about it.
  • we could 'weigh' the space or whatever. some way we should attempt to figure out
  • air tight, then just measure air pressure
  • carbon dioxide levels
  • Biosphere II!!!!!!!
  • Noise-o-sphere II!
  • dave: let's not try to solve problems we don't actually have. So far we only have had one instance of someone trying to live here so we'll wait for it to happen
  • tyler thinks there's 6-7 people living at 270 capp (secret)



Discussion item 4.5: hack comedy[edit]

X: victor says august 21st (?)

  • scale capacity we can do it in the thing


Discussion item 4.75 haight st commons[edit]

  • a guy came to sophia this week and said they have haight st. commons and maybe could use noisebridge. would it have anything to do with us? no but it would be kind of interesting , neat people!
  • it's a group of communes. 100 people!? they dont all come to the meeting.
  • Liz - can we invite them to come have a look at the space and see if it would work for them?
  • Dave - i would like for them to maybe come to a tuesday meeting. maybe we could combine those two
  • Steve - i like the comment of 'what do they have to do with noisebridge'. we can be too eager to ally ourself with another cause that's not aligned with us. it could be dangerous for us to ally ourself with a big cause. at one point occupy kind of took over noisebridge and kicked out all the hackers. make sure they're either small or aligned with us
  • TJ - a meeting would help with that. either that or some kind of obligation or some way for them to help. possibly paying us.
  • lewis used to be a biohacker guy and gave us a pcr machine from haight st commons
  • Carl - it's now 8:36 the last bart train leaves in 7 minutes


Board Meeting[edit]

  • is there something the board needs from us
  • We cannot hear, no one is paying attention, Tiffany and Tyler discuss things online
  • We need someone to run board elections.

Stack -

Discussion item 5 (low priority) sourcing uranium (dave)[edit]

Franklin: I used to work at the Former Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant. Perhaps I could hook you up... source of revenue


End of Meeting[edit]

Note taker posts the notes[edit]

  • Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  • Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  • Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
  • Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  • CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  • Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  • Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after[edit]

  • Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
  • PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.