Meeting Notes 2021 08 31
These are the notes from the The 643rd Meeting of Noisebridge.
- Live notes
- Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
Date: Aug 31 !!!!
Note-taker: Elan / Sophia
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
- 1 Meeting Summary
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Short announcements and events
- 4 Excellence
- 5 Participation
- 6 Philanthropists
- 7 Membership Binder
- 8 Financial Report
- 9 Consensus
- 10 Discussion
- 11 End of Meeting
FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update
- New members:
- New philanthropists: wolf
- Consensus Items: vaccination requirement; verification
- Discussion Items: a new mural; electrical outlets
- Elan - been here a few times, thinks place is cool, likes robots and Wikipedia, he/him
- Loren - he/him, helps with upstairs, doing server stuff, irc?
- Kim - She/her, started immediately before pandemic. working on python stuff
- Emile - came with emiline, likes to fix things
- Mentar - helps with bikeshed, others
- Dave - getting AV working. hero he/him
- Sophia - used for work on sewing, now doing more server related projects
- Wolf - he/him, dabbling (likes to darn socks)
- TJ - i am TJ
Short announcements and events
60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
- Kim - movie night and sewing hackers (Sept 15th is the anniversary).
- Elan - Bike party SF this friday (https://sfbikeparty.wordpress.com/)
- Sophia - Noisebridge is accepting donations of hard drives, removable media, and other hardware
- Chuck: Starting a new class on Thursday nights called Let's Fight About Category Theory. 9pm. BYO Whiteboard Markers.
- Roxy: One night only discussion on Puppet Feminism coming up this Saturday at 8pm. No fetish gear, please.
- Albert: I'm taking a long bike ride next week and drinking some stuff I accidentally came up with while making tea in the back. Must sign waiver to join.
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
Wolf - everyone cooperates and tries to do things in the spirit of doing them together. and communication.
Dave - good demonstration of excellence when people moved the boards around.
(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)
Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.
Mentar - doing stuff that helps out the space. i am participating by helping the bike shed, because i have experience.
Dave - different levels of access to the door. if you've been here a bit and get a member to sponsor you you get 30 days access. if you want to be here outside of open hours, you can become a philanthropist and you need a member to sponsor you and you're supposed to donate. Q(Elan): How late are people typically at NB? A(Sophia): Depends, last week people were working/hanging out till ~2am but doors closed ~10pm TJ - ask us for an invite to slack and they can post to channel.
(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)
A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.
philanthropists need to shepherd the space, open and close the space. try to be here a day a week or a few days a week.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)
Wolf is becoming a philanthropist. all rejoice \o/
TODO(Wolf?): the donations page was linking to the wrong thing, wolf says hes going to fix it
Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
tyler says we're rolling in cash money... Q(Elan): Are all funds held in BTC? A(Sophia/Dave): No but ~1/3 which was unintentional but how it is.
- Funds in bank: "piles of dough" (exact number not stated)
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
How's it all going
Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.
(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)
(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.) Current items for consideration: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items
previous consensus items:
- (Sophia) You must broach the subject of vaccination, either by pointing at the sign, or asking the person if they are vaccinated. If people are unvaccinated they must not be let inside without very good reason. No one blocks this?
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
- (TJ) Explicitly require showing vaccination cards prior to entry to Noisebridge (until further notice).
Discussion Item 1 Three girls wanted to paint mural
Discussion Item 2 electrical outlet locations
lets write some down. liz is talking about this a lot
dave - already been previous attempts to do this. nobody has aggregated them. all of them have github issues.
End of Meeting
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
- PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.