Meeting Notes 2021 09 07
These are the notes from the The 644th Meeting of Noisebridge.
- Live notes
- Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
Date: Sept 7, 2021
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
- 1 Meeting Summary
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Short announcements and events
- 4 Excellence
- 5 Participation
- 6 Philanthropists
- 7 Membership Binder
- 8 Financial Report
- 9 Consensus
- 10 Discussion
- 11 End of Meeting
FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items: vaccination requirement
- Discussion Items:
Short announcements and events
60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
- dave he/hom he cleaned up the trahs and lovs electronics and software
- Wolf he/him fixing a shirt for now
- ian he/him they industrial designer first timer
- Souran he/him game development just observing
- steve: physiciast, musician that is looking for work and machine learning
- Lucas, first timer, mechanical engineer wants to learn about electronics and music production
- Relay:he/him interested in more widely used free and open source software
- Disembodied voice. AKA tj. here to hack and start a meeting that takes too long.
- Dan: observing remotely, HE?HIM for now
- James: long time volunteer. Hope you are doing well. Hope to do a bay area chat channel between spaces. Bay area consotium of hackerspaces
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)
- Steve: be excellent like bill and ted's exccelent adventure
kind of crazy genious neuro atypical people. We argue but we try to work things out as much as possible. Communicate and be nice. That's my understanding. I strongly feel that is not what modern culture would call a "safe space". This often leads to culture shattering drama. We are a "brave space" we work things out like punks. We don't harrass people. Check to see if others are trying to be an asshole first. (Edit by
- Steve: Assume others are acting in good faith in their interactions with you. If you get offended by something they say, work it out with them instead of being defensive and _assuming_ they are acting in bad faith.)
Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.
- TJ: everyone at noisebridge who attends works at noisebrige. You are free to come in during hours and as long as you particupate in meetings and use our supplies.
- You can donate to keep us open.
- We try to be as open as possible
(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)
- In order to get 24 hour access you can apply to be a philanthropist.
A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.
- Carly (in recording): means taking care of the space and giving back and going beyond just working on taking care of your things and cleaning up after yourself. and monitary donations and you help close and open the space.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)
Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
How's it all going
Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works. little c consensus and everyone agrees and participates.
- Big C concensus needs to go to 2/3 meetings and is a bigger deal
- Steve: every decision is mostly little c concensus. do your due dilligence to not piss people off.
- Big c concensus items that are more controvercial. Spending money on big projects. Things that affect the resources of the space as a whole.
- The last Big C concensus was the lockdown rules.
(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)
Concensus items take 3 meetings
- TJ I will block if we have to ask people to show their vaccine cards. I don't want people to have me show their papers
- consideration: build in a timeline limit to the concensus item.
- Consideration: send it to emails, or more social media. This needs to be more broadcasted. but we should know that next week is the week to make a decision on this.
- Put a post of the discussion item in the title for Discuss.
- We link directly to the meeting notes and the title of the discussion
- Do some contemplation. We will not concense on this item.
== Discussion Item 1 Trash> if it comes too early they don't pick it up. Please someone volunteer on tuesday mornings
End of Meeting
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
- PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.