Meeting Notes 2021 11 02

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search

These are the notes from the The 652nd Meeting of Noisebridge. 


Date: 2021_11_02

Previous Meeting   Next Meeting 
 Note-taker: Lizzard, 
 Moderators: sophia 


  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Announcements:
  • * James is starting a podcast for noisebridge
  • * Jitsi setup is migrating onto #rack
  • * Locker inventory is underway, you have 1 month from Nov 2 to label [lockers] with current info (a name, some way to contact (slack, email, etc) + the date)
  • Finances: Going OK but need more income to match monthly expenses
  • New members: (WozDave is on week 1)
  • New philanthropists: Claus
  • Consensus Items:  Suspend X's membership indefinitely AND Ask X to leave the space until mediation. Result: Gaarden blocks as she wanted more info and for the consensus items to properly be posted on the [Consensus Items] wiki page (they were up, but only in last week's minutes) Other Result: Mark and lxpk are mediating But it stands that X has been "asked to leave".
  • Discussion Items:
  • * Discussed rearranging rooms/ wood shop
  • * Locker inventory
  • * Lovi is building a quick n dirty temporary venting system to the roof for the laser
  • * Gaarden would like $$ to buy a fume extractor

Introductions[edit]

  • Sophia the holy moderator
  • Steve - he/him - creative coding
  • Lizzard - they/them - do a bunch of stuff, writer, work on sw, games
  • relay - help around random things
  • gaarden - she/ her HERE TO FIX THE LASER we need support for the fume extractor
  • LX - started game dev thing, VR, AI , robot stuff he/him
  • TJ - he/they - working on doing AI stuff, we got an awesome server with uh quad GPU something
  • Mark - game stuff - you know me
  • Lovi - generative art! and actual art! working on the laser cutter
  • Loren - aka mcint - helped install the gate
  • Leon - any/all - likes HPC systems AI
  • JD - woodworking stuff, steel stuff, when laser is up will be doing leather stuff. handy kind of guy
  • Woz -  he/him electronics and code
  • Ronald - deployed bloodblade.io my first time implementing math in a game! you can walk around!
  • James - cooking a duck! 
  • Klaus - I'm here!
  • Dane - Is online
  • Neekon - student at berkeley - been coming here since freshman in HS! 
  • Carl (arrived late) - flaschen taschen hacker

Short announcements and events[edit]

60-second description per item in bulletpoint.

  • Kinky coffee shop - Wicked Grounds - is having a clothing exchange Give them 5 or 10 bucks at the door, Fri nov 19th! 
  • James - will do a short podcast for noisebridge related stuff. if anyone wants to contribute, contact James - he will post on Discuss 

https://discuss.noisebridge.info/t/lets-make-a-short-podcast-for-noisebridge/2765 We are migrating our Jitsi setup onto #rack (also known as noisebridge-infrastructure)

  • Woman named Bella who wanted to start a NB podcast too.
  • Loren to post on Discuss

Do-ocratic Task Board[edit]

Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Pick some tasks from github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!  https://github.com/noisebridge/buildout-capp/projects/1  
 Last week's tasks:

  • trash plan documentation 

documented on the wiki: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Resources/House_Keeping#Trash_and_Recycling  basically done. thanks liz!!!

  • Emergency lighting

loren would like a reminder on where the materials are liz is nearby and is going to help

  • Library

Lovi is working on the library

  • Improving the doorbell

TJ is messing around with the input. Jay is currently working on getting a phone working so we can replace the keyboard. We're talking about this offline

  • Octoprint Pis & general 3d printer documentation

nothing

  • Laser cutter

it has printed a flower of life, but now it can't print anymore? we are very close to having it be operational. need to calibrate, wash mirrors, etc. psychologically 99% there because we made some art

  • organize hack shelf
  • Clear upstairs hallway

klaus has cleared out most of this and made a bookshelf. thanks klaus!!!

  • stage garage area

  • Where should our electrical outlets be - TJ did some of this with sticky notes
  • * maybe we should pivot to reaching out to people to ask for their electrical needs
  • * then consult (hmmm) 

  • the enormous industrial snap setters
  • * Ryan took one apart and we will use the stand, also, took a motor off for the bandsaw! the other one, will take it apart soon! Relay is interested!

  • electronics organizing - work done on this by Wolf 

  • replacing the downstairs toilet

dave: i've done 0 work on it. nobody's assigned. we just need to pick a toilet and someone needs to commit to doing it or finding a plumber. klaus: it's fine if we just order a toilet without someone committing.

  • Mark wants to assign himself to a thing.  If you want to be on the github please ask Lizzard!

  • Driveway gate - The Gate works!!!!! The latch works! Ryan and Woz did this!!! People who were workign on it are a little burned out and want a break! We need new gate crew. What does that entail? Build another copy of what we have - metal and wood slats. If you are interested talk with Woz and Ryan!

  • To do add from JD - talk to HVAC contractors to punch a hole thru the 2nd floor and out the roof to give us a better place for the laser - JD will take it on! We just need to basically agree on this plan! 


 
 
 


Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other. 
 (What does that mean?  How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this?  Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is?  This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.) loren: we take inspiration from bill & ted. excellence is about how you show up in the space. if you're showing up for the first time or contributing in the long term. don't be an asshole. leave things better than you found them. 
 steve: don't get into loud dramatic annoying nerdfights. audience: we need them! steve: there is such a thing as an excellent nerdfight 
 


  • Lizzard - After I talked with the accuser directly, I asked Ray about the rape allegation against him and he said his past relationship was complicated and then he spontaneously decided to leave NB and stop teaching his class because maybe he should not be in that position. 

  • Other thing was that the relationship was complicated, not everyone treated each other well.


 James : Maybe there needs to be more communication about it 


  • Lizzard : It sounds like they went through a whole mediation thing in another space. It was brought up at the space.

  • Lobi - If you're too drunk to get pulled over, you're too drunk to consent. Same with other people.

  • Lizzard - stealing / violence is not acceptable at the space. Things that are relationship drama, I care less. 

  • Dave - do we have first hand account of this? (Yes) 

  • Lizzard - She had to move out of town, because he wouldn't leave her place she lived

  • lxpk - We have a precedent of banning an individual & co-founder for this, and then realized a lot of people did this in the past, just wasn't as documented. tl;dr we have done this in the past. Do we need more info.

  • Lizzard - If he wanted to come back, he should come to the meeting and ask to come back. I hate this kind of thing, I don't want to have him around, I believe in restorative justice, but I think he doesn't understand.

  • Steve - I heard other side of this, which is why I hesitated. I also have taken sides before, 2 of 3 times, the accuser was being dishonest. This is why I've removed myself from subsequent mediation.

  • Dave - Pretty much opinion we should ban first, ask questions later. Person who made accusations has nothing to gain, so we should believe her.

  • Sophia - She didn't even make the accusation, someone else did, Lizzard just reached out to confirm. Nothing was even done.

  • Ryan - obv messed up, not good situation. For violent altercations / etc. should we talk through it with all parties involved, etc. Should we have the accuser and accused together for mediation. In this case, it's not a big deal to not have this as not super formal, but in the future.

  • Lobi - I do not want false accusations of rape. I've had friends who have been ruined bc of this.

  • JD - This is the first time I've heard, but what I've gleaned that they were in a relationship, NB members, but this time we decided to intervene in something that was more or less personal. 

  • Lizzard - My impression was this relationship was over a year ago, person had to leave home and town because other person wouldn't leave. She felt the responsibility to warn people in the future. Wheezy felt good to warn people of what happeened. No other way to do this, until we go nuclear, which I avoid.

  • James - this is the guy who teaches the Blender class? Perhaps we do this in a similar matter, just communicating with him, that people feel uncomfortable with him, what the situation is, etc. Ppl feel uncomfortable. No banning, but that's not gonna work as is.


 Communication has already happened, Ray responded by leaving. 


  • Neekon - He is well aware of how the space feels, I'm of the camp that he needs to discuss with the team before joining again.

  • Lovi - i'd like to know who he is in case he hits on me so i can beware. what does he look like

  • Relay - we're not the law we just are suggesting banning him from this specific space

  • Klaus - it's simple, if someone is uncomfortable with the situation, we need to maintain safe space at NB. If people are uncomfortable, then address it. This happened some time ago, happened at another space, etc. If uncomfortable, then address it now.

  • Lizzard - He will create an unsafe situation. i dont' want to personally have to warn all the women here about him for the future. 

  • Nicole - Once is too many times, if someone is uncomfortable, then it is done.

  • Sophia - Small c consensus on 86 specifically, vs. ask to leave.

  • Nicole - 86 means likely to return. Is he likely to return?

  • Sophia - answer is likely no. 

  • Nicole - ask to leave, knows he's not welcome, but not coming back. If coming back, then 86 him.


 


Participation[edit]

Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge. 
 (What does that mean?  How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?) 
 Lobi - I have experience with other do-ocratic art / art-oriented spaces. So I should just start doing things. Present your best self, do best self. Give ppl tours, open / close building, and denied access twice. Everyone is welcome to do that, that's what I've done so far. Represent the community, leave things better than found. Each facet is an opportunity to leave space better than found. Good starting point for to-be phiulanthropist 
 Steve - You can use everything for free, except laser cutter. WE have three online chat messages. Slack you need to come a few times, Discord invite immediately. Everyone needs to know gate access. Come in, shut gate behind you, don't leave it open. Someone has to let them in, but whoever does, you are responsible for their actions. No obligation to let people in, but it is excellent to let people in. 
 Klaus - where are the key fobs  
 Dave - Use a clipper card, etc. But if you want the stash of fobs, I don't know where they are. A month or so ago, they were in electronics room. Also, before covid, we have a plastic bag full of coin fobs, haven't seen it since the move.  
 


Philanthropists[edit]

A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space. 
 (What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc) 
 Ryan - been around the space for a while, put a note up wnating to be a Philanthropist, and $80 a month donation, this gives you 24h access to building, it means you take better care of the space.

  • Nicon and Klaus take a form!

  • Lizzard sponsors Klaus.
  • Klaus: i have this belief that it's this sisyphean struggle to organize NB in a way and it's not possible but i see a lot of opportunity and room to build structures for people to excel and grow in. Set people up for success. It will make my life smoother to be able to access the space easily and i can do more
  • MEET SOPHIA TONIGHT for the tour of how to open and close the space!
  • Lovi asks Klaus to elaborate on his goals. be present in the space, be here so people can use him as a resource, whether it's about the space or something else, it's about setting up physically. cleaning up and organize and seeing people using it is all the reward that people need. that's why i'm doing what i'm doing. 

  • Yay Klaus is now a philanthropist

Membership Binder [edit]

Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus. 
 (What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc) 


  • Relay - been trusted in the space a bit more, be around for a few months or something, You can sponsor philanthropist and other members, you can also block consensus

  • Woz - One description by Loren i thought was good, philanthropists are responsible for the physical space, Members responsible for the community 

  • Woz applies to become a member

and suggests we change Member to some other term like maybe Bureaucrat 


  • digression about 30 day access card things and "philanthropy ++" (widespread gagging)

  • LX - is the card thing the only reason you want to become a member
  • Woz - maybe? but also pre lockdown era there were one or 2 members who ever came around. 

  • LX - the fact you dont want that power makes me think you need to be a board member
  • group guffaw
  • LX - can you imagine something you feel strongly enough to block
  • Woz - i'd try to reach some sort of understanding or consensus with people . maybe the kind of thing i'd consider blocking.... major construction project and didn't have permits 


 
 


Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo. 
 We have money saved but our expenses are substantially higher than our income.  Loren: let's have the income part of the next statements 
 Liz: there is tax stuff happening and we are working on some electric stuff before we moved out and it is 8k but they did not get it back to us.\ 


  • 10/26 report
  • Cash: $324,730
  • Crypto: $132,980
  • Total: $457,710 


 


Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going 
 Dave: I'd like to propose a fundraising project. Typically you can get noisebridge general fund to pay for 1/2 of it. I'd like to revamp our conference stuff, our discord/jitsi audio setup. If anyone would like to pledge money or read the wiki page and suggest changes that would be useful and helpful. Cost is on the wiki page, $400-ish total.  
 James - (on stack) we have a broadcasting fund from old place. John Shutt put together a donation to noisebridge.  
 Broadcast fund meeting notes from 2018 - https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2018_02_06 Had $5k remaining at that time. 
 Alex -  Better ability and guidance for people who teach classes to share their classes. teachingn classes doesn't always mean you have time to figure out streaming.   we have a streaming booth . you walk up to it and it will stream. push button light goes on etc.   If we had at least 2 setups it would be great 
 Lovi - my friend has a blockchain podcast and he asked for a broadcasting studio where people could start their own podcasts from the space.  
 Dave - these are great ideas, but i just want to solve the simple problem of equipment, not solve all these other problems. 
 Lizzard - we should just buy this it's 400 bucks and it's the basic infra of the place. and it helps improve accessibility. talk to me i have the noisebridge credit card. I will also donate to it though  
 someone else - will also donate

dave - let's donate b/c we need to practice fundraising and also i need feedback and help with the plan.   
    Wiki for fundraing: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Proposals/TelebridgeStation#Fundraisinghttps://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2018_05_29 Notes: The broadcast fund was exhausted. Great work everyone! It helped fund NGALAC, a new USB conference microphone, a new projector, coax cables, and A/V and lighting equipment for the 10th Anniversary Party which is still useful for other events. 


Consensus[edit]

Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works. 
 (How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?) 
 


Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.) 
 - Suspend X's membership indefinitely AND - Ask X to leave the space until mediation. 
 Nicole: punishment doesn't fit a crime 
 Klaus : Communication has broken down. Until X can communicate with community, he is asked to leave with the space.  
 Nicole : Has he left after being asked to leave?  Woz : we said that we will propose to 86 you if you don't agree to talk to us 
 Nicole is uncomfortable and considering blocking this  
 LX - i was in the same boat when i got back from my trip and heard about the beginning of this and so i had to catch up and i think that given the fact that all the efforts to communicate with him were people involved with the dispute and there was no official mediator appointed that it's understandable everyone got really frustrated 
 LX proposes we do a week or so of mediation and Table this for a week  
 Nicole : asked to leave, he has to have mediation before coming back? JD : he has a lot of personal stuff still here and we want to try to move it out. Dan said last week can we get it to where he came come at a specific time and move his stuff out of the space 
 Lizzard: can we please not hash this all out again in the next N meetings? Can we do it online? 
 Nicole is blocking the consensus 
 We need to have consensus items up (they are!) 
 Here they are again 
 - Suspend X's membership indefinitely AND - Ask X to leave the space until mediation. 
 
 
 


Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.) two X-related items from last week 


Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

Klaus 

  • Moving wood shop to music room, music to electronics, and electronics downstairs!
  • wood shop noise is bad
  • at least moving the biggest loudest wood shop things to upstairs. 
  • they are the same size 22 x 18
  • ventilation plan for upstairs bit would be easier. 
  • move laser cutter to back  of current wood shop and run the vent right up the same way. 


 Sophia - we talkeld about this before and we thought stuff was too big and heavy - table saw is too big to move upstairs 
 JD - too big and heavy. without an elevator we cant do it 
 Klaus - if it's not physically possible then we can't.  
 JD - fucking heavy table saw, i brought it downt he stairs , without maybe 12 people and we can't fit 12 people around it.  it went kathunk kathunk on wheels using the french system called gravité!   Carrying wood up to it would also be hard .  other challenge is the noise of the wood shop adjacent to the music room.  
 Lovi - country girl and agree with JD something about podcasting and the downstairs is for big extroverted things and to get away from those noises you go upstairs 
 Woz - i don't like this plan, we do feel for you as far as wood shop noises and we have this other plan to build a wall there and extend the sprinklers and maybe it's time.  
 Lizzard, silently: With a permit.  
 Klaus - there's logistical problems, this was just my first idea. but let's start workin on some projeft to isolate the noise     Also if i know where things will end up i can organize better.  
 LXPK - we dont have an elevator and half the space is inaccessible  So core things should stay downstairs so we should at least have some wood shop downstairs.  
 JD - propose we go through first step to partition the downstairs which is to get a plumber to extend the sprinkler with a permit! 
 Lizzard - it's  
 
 
 
 
 
 


Discussion Item 2[edit]

Lizzard - locker inventory ongoing!

  • Consult https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Lockers 
  • lockers are numbered on blue tape 1-67
  • I've made efforts to contact people if I suspect the locker is unused/unclaimed
  • Unlabelled lockers with padlocks now have a week deadline (Nov 9) 
  • X's 5 lockers have till this Saturday (I texted him a week and a half ago to give him 2 weeks)
  • After those deadlines we should feel free to pick or cut the locks off and empty the unclaimed lockers that don't have a 2021 date 
  • If there's valuable stuff I'll keep making efforts to find the owners of it
  • everything else becomes hack shelf material
  • Current locker inventory: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TmpKiF1Rq4-bXoUZdU2eJLG_9HvZkjrGg2cwpCxearo/edit
  • If you want A LOCKER (a single one!) Just put your name on it and the date and a lock (and it's nice if you add yourself to the locker inventory list)  I am not in charge of the lockers!  I'm just trying to do a periodic inventory/ cleanout :)

JD - a week is too little! How about a month LX - vr bridge lockers - there's extra ones.  lizzard - yes i know they're well labelled and pyconaut has charge of them woz - have just one locker please! though we have some exceptions 
 
 


Discussion Item 3[edit]


 Lovi - Laser cutter! 
 Gaarden - fume extractor proposal!  a pleasant environment in the hackitorium! 2 exhaust ports! class IV laser it's enormous! Pipe it outside isn't enough! we need exhaust filter  proper way is fume extraction! Good deal possibility  it's 6K (deal from 9K)  but we have 2 exhaust ports and thus we need more like 10 to 15K.   If we want to use the laser cutter we will need to do this.  
 Lovi - thanks for that bid Gaarden!  plywood and acrylic ok  short term and long term solution.   Long term - extractor    short term solution - pipe exhaust to the roof for $100 ish. short term cheap solution first while we work on the long term solution  Requesting small amount of money first for the short term solution 
 Ryan - box, filter mechanism and a fan - Can we build our own with activated carbon medium? is there a cheaper DIY way?   
 Gaarden - the cheaper way doesn't have sensors or ways to tell us safety issues - chlorine gas for example! if we don't do this right we can hurt people! 
 Woz - awesome thank you for the research in the grand scheme of things where the laser cutter was super expensive another 10K isn't a lot.  We were using it without a fume extractor. I'd like us to blow it out of the space in the short term. We have another 20 months before we run out of money as things are. That fume extractor is a half of a month. Let's fundraise this. In order to use the laser cutter you need to put in 10 bucks every time you use it.  
 Sophia - actually we have more than 20 months (details) more like 80 months.  
 TJ - but we have the risk of something bad happening 
 Lovi - unemployed artist 
 (brief kerfluffle about the old 90K building inspection problem) 
 Klaus - logistic right now. we shouldn't use it if there is a concern for safety  Is it useable now? 
 LX - if the materials are safe then yes 
 Klaus - we ran it the other night an it vented right into the space 
 JD - logistics of fume extractor and a belt hood.  belt + suspenders.  if we vent below the rooftop, that's wrong (by city regulations)   
 broccoli - fume extractor, benefits assuming it works, you dont have to build a smokestack knowing where the laser is gonna be in the future. we could move it. no fume extractor is going to be perfect. carbon monoxide, or whatever, we still don't want it in the space and we want to know it's working right.  
 
 Lovi - i'm an artist and i've been involved in anarchist spaces since some of you have been in diapers.  vapors up to the roof. we can also say only plywood and acrylic, no leather no nothing else which produces bad vapors.

  • smokestack cover
  • tape
  • brace to perpendicularly attach something to the side of the building
  • 2 6 or 8 inch tubes into one, some ducting, a connector
  • maybe it won't have enough draw
  • plywood cover for another fan to go outside
  • one attachment point on side of building. 
  • it's almost ready!

lizzard - ask people here for 10-20 bucks and you will be able to build it... 
 JD: what specifically is the proposal? you want money for parts, but what parts? 
 lovi - the idea is to open up the front door about four feet, shove two pieces of plywood in that's a roof that has a whole? it's ready, dangling, and water-resistant. 
 JD: it's building a half-wall a phony wall 
 
 
 JD: is there a way to secure the garage door when nobody is hear 
 JD: the door can be down and escuer. 
 lovi: it can be down at any time you want to. 
 JD: we're not talking about a permanent thing on the doorway. 
 lizzard: why do you have the door closed and plywood there 
 lovi: to keep out rain & wind 
 gaardn: lovi went over this solution as a temporary one. i think it's good, for right now. long-term we can't keep the laser there. it being exposed to the elements is not good for it. we got it for ~free. We don't want to spend money on it, we want to keep it safe.  
 lizzard : i agree with you about making that a short term plan. i'm not 100% comfortable with it. i don't like the idea of blocking it because of ventilation and access. it's a nice space and a giant laser cutter isn't an awesome use of it. 
 Klaus - is it safe to use it without the short term venting? 
 Probably we shouldnt' use the laser cutter without the venting but it probably needs some testing 
 lxpk - mediation with X needs followup. has a list of people to be contacted. 
 
 


End of Meeting[edit]

Note taker posts the notes[edit]

  • Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  • Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  • Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
  • Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  • CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  • Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  • Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after[edit]

  • Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
  • PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.