Meeting Notes 2022 05 10
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Meetings | Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | Edit|
- Click Edit in the MediaWiki top bar and copy all the source code into the new meeting notes page.
- Delete this paragraph from the actual notes. (Keep in template, & in live copy for next iteration)
These are the notes from the The 677th Meeting of Noisebridge.
- Live notes
- Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
ALSO EDIT PREVIOUS AND NEXT DATES IN THE WIKI LINKS BELOW
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST
TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items:
- Discussion Items:
- Ask people to share their name, access needs, and preferred gender pronouns during their intro, i.e.:
- Dane he/him accessibility needs met, zine hacker,
- Les she/they
- Matthew Bennet he/him/they applying for membership 3D printing, robotics, unreal engine
- TJ he/they robotics/ai
- Wolf he/him dabler
- Mark / Arity - video games, video class on wednesdays
- Lucky they/she play music, are new here
- Sienna they/she
- Chris gaming
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
(What does that mean? Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX
Generally, don't be a dick. Clean the space, be a good person to other people. If you are going to clean something, focus on a small spot and share (on #space-cleanup in discord or on the relevant wiki page) what you cleaned and how so people can see what the spot should look like. On that note, get a wiki account. Wolf can give edit permissions.
One excellent thing to do is take a picture of whiteboard before erasing it in case someone left it and needs to see it.
TLDR: It is excellent to take care of the space.
Short announcements and events
- Open mic "Resident" electronic music happening in one hour
- Hack comedy happening this Saturday
- Usual classes - circuit hacking Mondays, health and wellness book club on Sunday, AI / ML on Wednesday, game meetup on Wednesday, book club on Thursdays
Fanime (big Anime Convention) happening in last weekend of May, get your tix now!
What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Associate Member (aka philanthropist) or Member? If not move on. No long discussions. Matthew Bennet applying to be associate member Hungry Bogart is in 3rd week of membership Wolf, Dane, Farley are in 2nd week
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
- Funds in bank:
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.
How's it all going
Big C Consensus Items
Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask Updated consensus on vaccination and covid precautions - update current precautions, remove expiration.
New Consensus Item text (see "Current Consensus Items" on wiki):
"Until explicitly undone by fresh Consensus: When taking appropriate responsibility for introducing a new person into the physical space, it is expected that vaccination status may be explicitly discussed (briefly and respectfully) to communicate the clear Consensus of Noisebridge that for safety of all participants, people not currently vaccinated against COVID-19 may not be permitted to come inside without good reason for any exception. Respecting preference for anonymity and discouraging pointless "papers please" scenarios should generally preclude checking vaccine cards and especially any associated demands for identification without good reason for any exception (such as special events or legal requirements)."
Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.
Discussion Item 1
Treasurer - still looking for treasurer, don't have one currently.
Discussion Item 2
Board election finished - still tallying numbers. Top four were Pyconaut, Lizzard, TJ, Elan.
Discussion Item 3
Meeting was held last night to discuss show that happened this weekend. LX: Event will be put on pause. Put hardcore shows on pause, assist with helping organizers figure out how to cut down on graffiti Farley: what to do about graffiti? Arity: there's a plan, organizers will help clean. Could give them another chance and threaten that shows won't happen again if so. lxpk: maybe we can make an art wall with a mellow crowd Elan - Could put up plywood against neighboor's wall in courtyard as a paintwall. Can occasionally swap it out/raffle it off.
Discussion Item 4
Emmeline: Sewing room Someone left the iron on next to flammable objects. Emmeline [Organizer] left town, some machines needed fixing, room was a mess. Someone poured a soda on a sewing machine. This costs money to repair. We currently have training, signage, etc. At this point, would people consider controlling access to the sewing room, locking the door, etc? Could have one of the domestic machines (less expensive/hard to find parts) outside the sewing room, perhaps downstairs? TJ: (Summarizes Emmeline) We don't know who uses the space, and even with signage people are damaging the machines. Emmeline: Could take out all peddles and put them in locked box, but people have been very creative in how they cause damage. Other than putting lock on door, not sure what else to do. Arity: first thought is to develop stewardship group of noisebridge. Could get group together and get list of things to check that are checked on the regular, even non sewing people of the space could check on the sewing room. Not meant to be police force but some kind of safety squad. Emmeline: is there checking multiple times. There is a more pertinent short-term issue which is immediate safety. We should add it to training and to the list for fire safety etc. People do check on fire extinguishers etc. Emiline: We have a maintenance log but it keeps disappearing. I don't know how to solve this problem. Wolf: lots of great ideas about how to do long term maintencance, fire hazard is a little trickier to solve. Maybe an immediate action item is take irons away and lock them up until we figure this out and disable the sewing machines somehow when they aren't being used.
Could we just lock the room?
Farley: We have a locker for CHM - you could get a locker or 2 for potential fire hazard items like irons
Cloud: Did we have any issues during Hack Comedy? There were some of us in the room, I wonder if just having people in the room deterred ppl from messing with/ messing up the equipment.
TJ: Action item: get some way to lock the door, put fire hazards in locker downstairs Wolf: Could be dangerous to lock rooms given fire hazard. Could get lock out / time out plugs
Discussion Item 5
Sounds like we do want the art-tech mixer. First day May 21st.
Discussion Item 6
Emily: Laser cutter training. Is there a plan to formalize the laser cutter training? Mark: We're having a lack of people stepping up to do it. Need to do it with someone who did the training in the past. Wolf: Is currently trying to find the people to get it going. LX: volunteers to train once they are trained. Mark: list of people who could train: Justin Loren: asked Justin to train on Friday. Mark: we do have curriculum, just need to reacquaint people with it. On the wiki. Is approved list of laser cutter users and trainers there. Ping ALL OF THEM
Do-ocratic Task Board
Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!
End of Meeting
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Do a 10 minute cleanup, bring dishes up stairs and wash them, clean the bathroom
- Have some beers on the patio
- Prepare the next weeks' meeting notes
- Lick the walls. Or just draw on them
- sing the Hackernationale (this almost never happens)