Meeting Notes 2023 03 07
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Meetings | Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | Edit|
These are the notes from the The 715th Meeting of Noisebridge.
Date: March 7th, 2023
Note-takers: Sam, Mark, Vuke
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST
TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update: some events
- Announcements: (many! many events!)
- we lost 5k in february
- Deposits/Credits 7,443.55 / Withdrawals/Debits - 12,387.74
- New members: (none)
- New philanthropists: (3 applying)
- Consensus Items: (still tabled, large item cost disposal approval)
- Discussion Items:
- Discussion Item 1: Farley, definition of excellence
- Discussion Item 2: Space cleaning & prep, April 8, with Corey
- Discussion Item 3: Un-Ban/un-86 Ronald
- Discussion Item 4 (pre-meeting online): Rebecca Skinner logged on and asked us if we could install Purple Air measurements at the space.
- Discussion Item 5 (pre-meeting online): Review of someone making moves to inhabit Noisebridge (UHaul truck, someone asking to stay the night because of the rain). It seems like this issue will resolve soon
Online Pre-meeting / Discussion Item
Rebecca Skinner logged on and asked us if we could install Purple Air measurements at the space. TJ told her to email firstname.lastname@example.org, and that he would notify people about this email / forward the email to our Slack / Discord channels (she preferred discussing via email).
Review of someone making moves to inhabit Noisebridge (UHaul truck, someone asking to stay the night because of the rain). It seems like this issue will resolve soon
5-8 in person, 5 online
- Loren - help w/ finance and infrastructure things
- Sam - teach unreal engine class on thursdays, use the CNC and lathe a lot lately
- Mark - Does game stuff, also lots of organization related tender love and care
- Peter - mainly a software eng. comes here to do hardware. Been around about 6 years
- Farley - software stuff. free code camp on sundays! totally come! 12-5, come anytime in that window!
- jordane - software engineer, been coming for a month or 2. freecodecamp participant
- Ian/Nemo - new to the space. software engineer, interested in machingin and electronics etc
- Corey (he/him) teach robots and build robots, here to discuss noisebridge getting rid of "shit"
- Romo - been coming for like 2 years
- jams- do software stuff, interfacing with the ai group that hangs on wednesday nights
Short announcements and events
New coffee roasting workshop, end of month 3/31.
Mark- On 3/23 there will be an interactive art show, like a touring show called extra lives, music/interactive stage show/ gaming things. you interact with your smartphone. Starts at 7, happy hour beforehand. Link below: https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/291927301/
Free Code Camp - Sundays, talk to Farley.
Python meetups start happening soon, tba working out schedule currently
AI meetups, Wednesdays 8 PM.
Circuit hacking Mondays is happening, poppin'.
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
(What does that mean? Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX
- What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")
New Members/Associate Members
What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.
Associates/Members are just like everyone else at noisebridge, except they have greater access to the space and with great power comes great responsibility. They are expected to do some specific excellent things in their day to day usage of the space.
- Ian - looking for spaces to work in in the city. Appreciate informal nature. Working on understanding how the place works.
(Mark says some stuff about responsibilities of members)
Ian is a associate member!
- Chris (yogi) also applying for associate member. Studying at SF state. Design, engineering. Trying to generally just be excellent, keep a clean and nice space. Like to contribute help in various areas. Worked on the lathe recently.
Nope. Chris is an associate member!
Jordan - applying for associate member
Been to NB once, got a run through of the space w/ Sam? Someone else? Unclear. Move to bay area from TX recently. Interested in music room and costume making that may involve extra cool shit like metalwork and electronics/light-up stuff! Attended burning man for the first time last year and then found this spot after. Appreciate the "radical responsibility" ethos of the space/community. I like that I can do whatever and it doesnt all have to be done perfectly and the prospect of working with my hands more is exciting.
Mark asks what can you provide as a member of the space?
Some stuff about writing skills, UX design, various skills I could contribute.
Mark: For now I block. You are not in trouble or anything. I just want to get to know you a bit more and see you around the space in person.
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
we lost 5k in february Deposits/Credits 7,443.55 Withdrawals/Debits - 12,387.74
there’s the usual 9.3k in rent, 1.5k (see above) in high utilities bills, 500 or so in usual utilities bills, then replacing the woodshop blade, chm supplies (that are repaid by their fees) - 200, then misc stuff
Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.
Front Gate needs planks, someone pls figure out what size and how many and come back with a cost estimate. also need to arrange for picking them up w/ a truck/van. Chat in #front-gate channel in discord
How's it all going
- Let's host these events.
Big C Consensus Items
Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items
Consensus Items 
Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.
Discussion Item 1
♡ farley wants to amend the definition of excellence to mention consideration and accountability reference to discord post about this https://discord.com/channels/720514857094348840/720514857094348843/1079842740738723931
as an aside
I assumed the community would weigh in on change
Ever since spray painting incident, a lot of ideas surfaced on what anarchy/do-ocracy is as opposed to a community expectation. This is troublesome and I would amend Excellence to be more explicit: we have no leaders, but we still - Shoudl be considerate of other people - Hold ourselves accountable / taking ownership of the space
I could add it to the wiki. We should be more explicit than "Be Excellent" . People abuse this rule to be a dick.
Anarchism means no rul-ers, not no rules. Because we can do whatever we want, we can make rules. will talk later outside meeting
(Update the wiki page! And meeting template!)
Discussion Item 2
Garbage haul with Corey April 8 or 9 would be most excellent day for hauling
Announce that as date. For sake of new people / note-taker, I recommend:
- Make an area in space for Limbo-landia, a place where people can audit things in the pile and make sure it is fit for the dump vs. taking for personal use at home / potentially someone's project. - 2-3 weeks (starting March 11) of collection before dump run - 1 week (April 1) to look through items in Limbo-Landia
- I can fit 9 cubic meters, aka 3-4 refridgerators, contribute $40 to waste management (price up to $300) - Ask per-guild? Too many people to ask - Ask people to label their projects to make future passes easier potentially
Action items: will make announcements, and post in on mailing lists, slack, discord, and in-person.
Is April 8-9 the earliest?
Next weekend, the 18th?
Not enough time for allowing people to audit things I think.
- Announcement, by contrast, donation!
As is the cycle of life, there is someone else who wrote to secretary who wants to donate large amount of electronics and fabrication equipment. Gonna go take a look on friday, audit what they have, then report back next meeting about it.
Discussion Item 3
- Ronald had talked with mediator (mark) to talk about un-86 Ronald (who is on 86 page) - Mediator urged him to come here - Whether to un-ban + apply for Associate Membership
Mark: Wanted to give Ronald chance to be heard , make his case
TJ: suggests perhaps creating a record of behavioral improvement so we can accurately assess what we think should be done
Ronald: I like to hacking on random stuff. I enjoy being at the space, and what it provides, if it'd be alright to come back in one day.
Loren: Reason of ban: Admitted to sleeping/showering at the space, did not respect boundaries, believed that he should be allowed to continue if he was not caught What has changed?
Farley: Same (Also TJ)
Loren: If you want to come back into the space, reach out to people individually, check if they are ok with it. People don't have that faith
Mark: I would like to disagree. I don't think telling him to reach out individually is wise. Partially responsible for this situation in the first place. To some degree, he was jerked around by hearing different things from different people. I don't think he's right, he shouldn't be welcomed back into the space without changes in behavior. but asking him to ask individuals for permission is the right way forward. We shouldn't do that to him.
Loren: actionable things: It seems Ronald would propose un-86 him. Would people block?
Yes, multiple people block today. He has still recently breached boundaries.
Mark: You need to admit that you were in the wrong so that we can sincerely make ammends.
Ronald admits guilt, but doesn't consider his actions to be so bad
John: Kind of an outsider here but here's a perspective. People are speaking in a lot of generalities and seem to be kind of set in their sides of this issue. Ronald seems to think he was maybe wronged a bit more than deserved. John suggests submitting something in writing and then the comunity can go over it.
Kudos (and Todos)
(Limit them to literally one breath, your own todos.) Sam and Jay Kudos for helping fix the phone keypad
Loren - ToDo, get jitsi meet and other stuff set up on the former tor box ToDo, post notes TJ ToDo - AI guild will start planning meetings before our meetup so we can have an agenda
Kudos to - hamilton antigrav kids for cleaning the toilets all the time!
Mark ToDo - Set up LimboLandia, somewhere around the current shelves behind flaschen tashcen or under the front staircase
Do-ocratic Task Board
Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!
End of Meeting
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Do a 10 minute cleanup, bring dishes up stairs and wash them, clean the bathroom
- Have some beers on the patio
- Prepare the next weeks' meeting notes
- Lick the walls. Or just draw on them
- sing the Hackernationale (this almost never happens)