Meeting Notes 2023 05 30

From Noisebridge
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
Meetings | Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)
  • Click Edit in the MediaWiki top bar and copy all the source code into the new meeting notes page.
  • Delete this paragraph from the actual notes. (Keep in template, & in live copy for next iteration)

---

These are the notes from the The 726th Meeting of Noisebridge.


Date: 2023_05_30

ALSO EDIT PREVIOUS AND NEXT DATES IN THE WIKI LINKS BELOW

Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: TJ Melanson

Moderators: Farley

NOTE: Consider turning off fridge for the duration of the meeting. It is very loud and sometimes prevents people on video conference from hearing those in the space.

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST

Introductions[edit]

  • Farley - web dev, do stuff at nb a lot, work, hang out, sometimes host events
  • TJ - does robotics, organizer of ai meetup.
  • Bob Burnside - 3D art pieces, spinner on Clarion Valley, windhowardart.com is my website. Feather piece. Manny's got $100k grant to beautify tenderloin, so I'll be part of that
  • Tom - visiting from Syndey, gerat to see this place and meet you, happy to start a workshop here
  • Michelle - Hang out a lot in the sewing room, run workshops, collab projects. We have a zine for using an AI to design textiles, playing with LEDs. *Demonstrates the quilt*
  • JD - Teach laser class when we have a functioning laser (update with guild). On track to be a big M Member.
  • Steve - he/him - been around for a while. Theoretical physicist, software developer
  • Bryan - I do 2D art, comic artist / local artist. I do performance art online.
  • Max - he/him - do woodshop + 3D printing
  • Loren / mcint - working on wiki/#rack/infrastructure. interested in some embroidery projects.

Short announcements and events[edit]

  • 60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
  • Copy-paste any pre-announcements for the upcoming meeting from Announcements.
  • After announcements, copy them to the past Announcements list. Retire any from the Next Meeting list that aren't marked ONGOING.
  • (See https://www.noisebridge.net/ and https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Events for events, and welcoming people)
  • Woodworking wednesday, 1st wed of month, June is cancelled
  • Laser training is cancelled until further notice
  • June 28 - Dorkbot SF from 7-9 PM
  • Figure drawing class - 1 class for teaching figure drawing here
 (need a little space for model)
 (most likely Friday, 6 PM - 7 PM)
 (perhaps music room?)
 (need help getting it online)
 (Run on donations through Meetup)
 (Farley will sponsor)
  • PhD research in social platforms - Tomm, @maso on discord
 (workshops on 17 June, 1 July)
 (Elan will sponsor)
 (Located in Electronics room, as it's out of the way)
 (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Queer_social_platform_workshops)


(What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!

Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX

Guilds[edit]

  • What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")

Laser guild / trainer group : Filters still haven't been shipped yet. Vendor in Indianna required check in the mail. Issues with WF allowing Emeline to write check. Total snafu.

For laser, recommend Hacker Dojo in Santa Clara. Very similar (Linux, not Windows) Sudo room might have one?

Michelle - Event happening at Pebblebed (15th & Shotwell) in Mission. Art exhibit, AI Dreamland : Generative AI Interactive Experience . Emeline will live knit stuff Lu.ma page if people interested. You can come hang out with us, no prior rsvp necessary.

Interesting project with AI + Sewing guild, collaboration between two different groups (particularly w.r.t. gender).


New Members/Associate Members[edit]

What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.

JD is on his 3rd week

Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo. From emeline. Finance update: we've paid a reduced rent this month (due to previous miscalculations) so the numbers suggest a surplus but we actually lost about 3000 dollars. There was an increase in donations-through-employers (it varies every month), and more importantly our water bill went back to normal (187) after the shower head was dismantled. There are some big expenses coming up, most notably the filtersfor the laser cutter. FYI we had to pay this through check due to wells fargo shenanigans, so they're coming but the check having to be sent added a delay Our PGE bill is back to historical level this month, correlating with the laser cuter being down or.... somehting else? Ping @dna who was doing laser cutter costs calculations. Also ping @Lizzard - since we were wondering about why it had been so high


Spending Needs[edit]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.

Securing the space, locks, etc. I spend money on them

Requests to install deadbolt on front door as temp solution if somebody is sleeping, lock the space overnight Logistical challenges, ex. who's going to show up, who gets keys, who doesn't. If we want to change locks, nbd. But that's the front door. Back door to the patio is unsecured. Anyone can come in from the roof and get in. Tie it o one of the two keys. Fire escape door in the back hallway that has had some stuff to make it hard to jimmy open, not impossible though. Successful upgrade requires electronic catchgate that is out of reach from the other side of the door.

Farley: Why not incrementally? Already made sure fire escape is less easy to hack, not un-hackable but if back door is completely open. Just raise barrier to entry.

JD : Yeah, sure.

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

Big C Consensus Items[edit]

Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

♡Currently in order to block a big C consensus Item, we need only 1 member to block. Would like to update this number to 2 members. Perhaps the 1 member to block made sense when the community was tiny. It doesn't make sense anymore in our much larger community. If you cant convince anyone else to block with you, then maybe you just have bad ideas. The community should not have to make changes only folks with bad ideas think are good. This change would be provisional for 3 months. Also would only apply for member proposed consensus items, non-member proposed consensus items would still be block able by a single member. Also only 1 member would be required to block new membership. Also if any one member would like to block, but cannot because they are alone, they can request a 1 week hold to defer decision for an additional 3rd week. Consent should not be unreasonably witheld. A good faith effort should be made to find a solution amenable to all.

Proposal: 2 Members to block

Currently, only 1 Member to block Consensus. Godo idea when community smaller. Now much larger, much bigger barrier to keep things from happening. Caveats:

   - Non Member proposed items can be blcoked by only 1
   - Applications should be unanimous

JD had addendums - Mending language to intention: need to only block if strong enough to leave Noisebridge over it. JD: I wanted to pull up the Consensus page specifically, Sometimes people block when they just want to hold. With hold, other Members get to find out. No way to notify Members what's going on. TJ: Ping channel?

Steve: Unspoken rule: only block Consensus if in good faith. But no harm in including language specifically

Site link: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Consensus_Process

Updates to Consensus Process curprev 03:06, 31 May 2023‎ 192.195.83.130 talk block‎ 9,455 bytes +511‎ rollback 1 editundo curprev 02:59, 31 May 2023‎ Culteejen2 talk contribs block‎ 8,944 bytes -134‎ Delete it because of do-ocracy!!! >:)

It passed! And there was much rejoicing!

Consensus Items [edit]

Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.

Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

jd wants to talk about storage, personal storage

JD: Currently, Code of Conduct when carrying over, we only should have 1 locker per person. A second locker would be shared locker for Guild. Can't store stuff in the space. 2 big bunkers full of personal items with locks/security screws.

Farley: Who belong to? JD: Ken

JD: For a while, stored in machine shop, now stored in bunker. I thought for woodshop guild, looked for keys. Cut lock open, all personal/private tools. Open to suggestions about what to do.

Sam: My understanding that folks had access. Key stashed in the space, thought it was woodshop locker

Farley: Who has access? Neither Max nor JD have access

Sam: No list. I have, Sergio has, John has

Max: Mostly personal possessions. Insulin sharps, etc. Not happy with how things have been stored. Open to more general discussion on how to avoid this. Other cases too with frustration over using the space for storage.

Farley: Sounds like it was supposed to be for woodshop , but turned out not to be. Remove personal items.

Max: We need rules about what is a locker / what is personal storage considered as. Is building lockers ok?

Elan: Still catching up on notes -- locker audit: less than 40% of lockers are currently claimed. Can condense a lot of stuff too. Personal lockers not quite as useful as guild.

Farley: It's weird that people in woodshop guild feel powerless over changing things in the woodshop. If you did something about it, no one would complain.

JD : Stuff in the bunkers are twice the size of that in the woodshop

Max: Opposed to making rules about what is a locker?

Farley: I'm glad you brought it to the meeting. I would've been mad about this, and as someone not part of the woodshop, would help you deal with that.

JD: Already pulled deadbolt on woodshop / other stuff. Looking for crescent wrench. Need to pull this person aside and said "Time to move on"

Farley: Consensus item?

TJ : It's already in the Code of Conduct

Farley: I'll talk to this person.

TJ: Could do mediation?

Farley: I'm down to help talk to Ken

A.I.: Mediation between JD, Max, Sam, Ken, Farley?

Discussion Item 2[edit]

farely wants to talk about findin a way to know who is actually paying dues.

Elan: We have a very manual process to coallate things. Playing around with software solution (Patreon, Paypal, Benevity, some of the other ways). Instead of going to sites, download csv, matching emails, etc., do a script. If someone wants to do that, I would appreciate the help.

Farley: Does software already exist?

Elan: Have canonical email address for each user. (Sometimes there is a mismatch between email given to Noisebridge vs. email account used for donation).

Elan: Software solution would be best. It would make things a lot easier. Some software already exists, but needs to be hooked up to services. Double Union is encouraging of letting us fork their system.

Farley: Can you / somebody give me a list of Member names? I don't mind badgering people to give me emails?

Elan: There is a fuzzy distinction (it is based on Meeting records. People can be mistakenly identified as Members when such a trial never happened).

JD: It would be good to send a ping to capital-M Members when a new Consensus item happens

Elan: We can do something similar to locker audit. Looking to confirm people's emails, confirm it is one used for donation. Let's talk after the meeting.


Request to ban jvol[edit]

Steve brings request. Complaints to Loren, TJ of harassment.

Living in the space, for weeks. (Storage of motorcycle?) Excessive personal storage in the space. Personal, exclusive desktop (got mad when others touched it).

Gatekeeping with multiple people.

(Loren: I asked him, he agreed to leave for a week. He followed through.)


Ask to Leave: Mohammed[edit]

Mohammed has also been asked to leave for 1 month. Through June.


Do-ocratic Task Board[edit]

Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!

End of Meeting[edit]

Note taker posts the notes[edit]

  • Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  • Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  • Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.) https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Last_meeting&redirect=no
  • Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  • CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  • Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  • Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after[edit]

  • Do a 10 minute cleanup, bring dishes up stairs and wash them, clean the bathroom
  • Have some beers on the patio
  • Prepare the next weeks' meeting notes
  • Lick the walls. Or just draw on them
  • sing the Hackernationale (this almost never happens)